Thoughts on 3500lbs Towing w/ Unlimited Rubicon - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Thoughts on 3500lbs Towing w/ Unlimited Rubicon

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #1
RubiNoob
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thoughts on 3500lbs Towing w/ Unlimited Rubicon

Hey Guys,

So I am investigate which boat I am going to get, and think I have found the one.

It is a Yamaha SX210, which weighs about 2800 lbs.

I figure the trailer will weigh no more than 600 lbs.

This puts the total weight at 3400 lbs.

I also figure that I'd have no more than 100 lbs of gear on the boat.

This puts the total weight right at 3500 lbs, without gas.

Now, my home is less than 5 miles from the ramp I'd be using, so I figure towing this, with some gas wouldn't be much of an issue.

I am concerned however on longer hauls.

I was thinking that for longer trips, I just need to ensure that the gas tanks are near empty, so that I should be at the 3500lbs mark.

What do ya think?

RubiNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

It sounds like you intend to be at or below the limit. So, no problem.
You will just have to take it easy.

If your trailer is heavier than you expect, then you have to weigh your liability if something happens. Towing over the limit could cancel your insurance coverage for the event. Insurance companies DO check things like that.

Check the local laws regarding trailer brake requirements. Most places say anything over 2,000 lbs requires trailer brakes, as does your owner's manual.

Remember, the rear axle requires Synthetic Gear & Axle Lubricant (SAE 75W-140).

An additional transmission cooler (if you have an automatic) is a good idea.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 07:36 PM   #3
RubiNoob
2010 JK Wrangler 

OK cool.

What about a brake upgrade, something like this, or is this overkill.

Teraflex 4303400 - TeraFlex Front Big Brake Kit for 07-10 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
Unread 03-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #4
tclaremont
2009 JK Wrangler 

The brakes on the Jeep will be much less of an issue if the trailer has brakes, and you install a brake controller in the Jeep. At that weight, I would hold off on upgrading the Jeep brakes AS LONG AS the trailer has brakes.
-------------------------------------
tclaremont is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 07:51 PM   #5
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

^^^^ What he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiNoob View Post
OK cool.

What about a brake upgrade, something like this, or is this overkill.

Teraflex 4303400 - TeraFlex Front Big Brake Kit for 07-10 Jeep® Wrangler & Wrangler Unlimited JK - Quadratec
If you are stock, I think the trailer brakes would eliminate the need for bigger JK brakes.
Also, the brake programs (ABS, BAS, ERM, ESP, BLD, Traction Control, etc.) are all based on stock sized brakes. I would wonder if bigger brakes would cause any bad side effects.
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 08:41 PM   #6
NorthRiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tclaremont View Post
The brakes on the Jeep will be much less of an issue if the trailer has brakes, and you install a brake controller in the Jeep. At that weight, I would hold off on upgrading the Jeep brakes AS LONG AS the trailer has brakes.
99% of the time small boats like he is looking at will have surge brakes,and a brake controller won't be needed.

If he were going all out and went electric over hydraulic for trailer braking ,then he would need a brake controller.
NorthRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
NorthRiver

This is just my opinion,but thats too much boat for a JK.

I'd be surprised if the trailer is less than 900lbs. The single axle EZ-Loader trailer I had with my 17' aluminum boat was almost 700lbs.

The 2800lb dry weight will be 3000+ after you add a couple wakeboards,cooler of beer,flares,fire extinguisher,etc. You still haven't put any fuel in it. A 1/2 tank of fuel will be another 200.

My money is on that boat and trailer being 4000+ ready to roll.

I'd for sure be looking at tandem axle trailers. The JK doesn't have much wheelbase. If you get a blowout with a single axle trailer,will the JK be enough to get everything pulled over and off the road safely?

With a second axle/tire you at least have some control.

I've seen the aftermath of a short wheelbase tow rig that got taken out when the boat started to sway when a tire blew. My uncle was towing his 24' Bayliner with a K5 Blazer. The tire blew,the boat started swaying and ended up so violent that the bolts on the trailer's winch tower snapped. The boat came forward,off the trailer and through the back end of the Blazer,before coming to rest on the highway.
Unread 03-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #8
travislakerat
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthRiver View Post
This is just my opinion,but thats too much boat for a JK.

I'd be surprised if the trailer is less than 900lbs. The single axle EZ-Loader trailer I had with my 17' aluminum boat was almost 700lbs.

The 2800lb dry weight will be 3000+ after you add a couple wakeboards,cooler of beer,flares,fire extinguisher,etc. You still haven't put any fuel in it. A 1/2 tank of fuel will be another 200.

My money is on that boat and trailer being 4000+ ready to roll.

I'd for sure be looking at tandem axle trailers. The JK doesn't have much wheelbase. If you get a blowout with a single axle trailer,will the JK be enough to get everything pulled over and off the road safely?

With a second axle/tire you at least have some control.

I've seen the aftermath of a short wheelbase tow rig that got taken out when the boat started to sway when a tire blew. My uncle was towing his 24' Bayliner with a K5 Blazer. The tire blew,the boat started swaying and ended up so violent that the bolts on the trailer's winch tower snapped. The boat came forward,off the trailer and through the back end of the Blazer,before coming to rest on the highway.
I just agreed with Northriver a few days ago, and again I think he is right on. I think your trailer is going to weigh way more than 600lbs. And what about coolers, purses, and all the rest of the junk. Boat weights are really tricky because what all you put in them is very deceiving.

I wouldn't recommend long hauls with your Jeep. That being said you will probably be fine on the 5 mile trip.

When it comes to pulling at any decent speed better safe than sorry. Most of the time pulling deals more with suspension and brakes more than engine power.

2004 Ford F350 2" lift, 18's with 33" Nittos and Frontier Bumper Replacement. Solid Black
travislakerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
muttytruckster
2007 JK Wrangler 

YOu know I gotta admit, I still don't see how the short stubby Fj Cruiser has a towing capacity of 5000lbs and a JKUR only has 3500lbs.
If it were me, I wouldn't think twice about it(since your only going 5 miles), as long as my trailer had 'overkill' brakes. So yes it may have a surge brake for this size of boat, but I would go the extra distance and get an brake controller and the whole nine yards.
Just my thoughts.
FJ =4295lb curb weight with 4 wheel disc brakes, and 239hp with a wheel base of 105.9 can Tow 5000lbs
JKUR = 4442lb curb weight with 4 wheel disc brakes, 202Hp with a wheel base of 116 can only tow 3500lbs, to me this just doesn't seem justified between the small differences in the two.
muttytruckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2010, 05:34 AM   #10
RubiNoob
2010 JK Wrangler 

The problem is, I only have (getting) the Wrangler. I don't have another tow vehicle.

I've also found several trailers that weight 550-650 lbs, but then again, I doubt that's what comes with the boat.

I agree that towing the boat long distances will not be great with the Wrangler, but the short distance should be OK.

What I'll probably do is get the boat and enjoy it locally. Once the time arises that I'd like to tow it on a longer haul, I'll just add a Cherokee to the mix, which should haul it no problemo.

Thanks for the comparison specs to the FJ, this further justifies the Wrangler's use on the short tow trips.
Unread 03-05-2010, 06:03 AM   #11
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

You shouldn't have a problem because you have the four door. Turn off the over drive and allow extra room for stopping. Be aware that your fuel consumption will increase dramatically while towing. Change to synthetic 75-140 gear oil in both differentials.

I tow regularly without a problem. Towing is one of the advantages my JK has over my YJ.
Unread 03-05-2010, 07:07 AM   #12
muttytruckster
2007 JK Wrangler 

The only thing I can figure between the Fj and a JKU is the spring rate on the rear, which would change how much tongue weight you can have, and I Know that there is a forumla determined from the amount of tongue weight that translate into how much the vechile can tow,..... well at least thats what I think I remember reading.
The reason I think its the springs is because the Jeep Cherokee Sport four door, I believe had an Ford 8.8 or Ford 9in rear end one or the other I forget really, and If my memory serves me correct, it could tow 5000lbs as well. A pretty similar vehicle in my opion to the JKU.
I am not positive but maybe someone will chime in
muttytruckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2010, 09:52 AM   #13
JeffinWesternWA
2010 JK Wrangler 

Frequent coolant, xmission services, aftermarket cooler for auto trans, trailer brake set... if you continue to like it, a gear change to LOWER than a 4.10 would help...severe service sch for BOTH differentials and change brake fluid every 30K or less. Check brakes/bearings often! Fresh plugs at 50-60K not a bad idea and clean filters, you'll need optimum "tune", here, I think a ECM programmer would be a REAL benefit, still far right lane will be your place.......

Last edited by JeffinWesternWA; 03-05-2010 at 09:55 AM.. Reason: typos...
JeffinWesternWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2010, 10:01 AM   #14
DANJEEPO8
2008 JK Wrangler 

i towed a full-length school bus two blocks up a 20degree hill in 6 inches of snow from a stand still with my 4 door X and a tow strap.
they are between 11-14 tons empty and there were like 20 kids on it.
Unread 03-05-2010, 11:56 AM   #15
NorthRiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiNoob View Post

but the short distance should be OK.
Why did you even ask then?

It sounds like the only people you wanted to hear from were the ones that were going to tell you to go for it.

Wranglers do a lot of things well,but towing boats like you're looking to buy aren't one of them.

Good luck brother.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.