? For those who have had a Pentastar head replaced - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > ? For those who have had a Pentastar head replaced

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
SDHNTR

? For those who have had a Pentastar head replaced

So 13600 miles on my 2012 JKU. Mine ticked a bit since new. Never paid it much attention since it ran fine and really wasn't that loud. Even figured it could be normal injector noise. Never any check engine light either. Just figured I would wait until something else went wrong and it required a trip to the dealer for them to look at it. So the front axle seal started leaking and I took it in for a warranty fix and figured I'd mention the ticking valve train while it was in there. I was fully expecting to get the "that sound is normal" line since it wasn't that loud or bad. Surprisingly, I got a call back today that they are replacing the entire head. That's all fine since its under warranty.

Well I think it's fine. My question is, for those who have had this done, did it solve the issue permanently? Or is this a sign that more trouble might be on its way? What about the other head? They are only replacing one side. Any issues with a brand new head on one side and not the other?

Should I trade it in now for a new 2014 while it still has some value? Or should I rest assured that this new head fix will be the end of my trouble?

Thanks.

SDHNTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Of all the people, including myself, who have had their head replaced, I don't think anyone has had a problem since. You're probably okay.
Unread 09-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #3
SDHNTR

Thanks, that is good to know... I still have a few more questions to help me understand this problem...

What caused the original head to go bad in the first place? Some design flaw?

What is different/better about the new head?

Do they replace with a factory new head or some remanufactured pos?

The dealership is only replacing the drivers side head. What about the other side? Am I on borrowed time with it?

Are there any performance or reliability issues having one new head, which I am assuming is of a new and improved design, and one old?

Has anyone put on any serious mileage, like 75-100k, after the repair? Any further issues?

Thanks. As you can tell, this makes me nervous.
SDHNTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 01:03 AM   #4
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

I believe the fault of the bad head is a manufacturing problem. It may also be a design issue since the new one is designed differently, if I recall correctly. The only head that needs to be replaced is in cylinder 2. Over time, you'll lose compression and lose performance. It is replaced with new parts and it should restore the vehicle to its factory performance standards.

I don't know if anyone has that much mileage on the new head yet. However, most people experienced the issue early in the life of their Jeep, such as yourself, between the 5k and 20k mark. My CEL didn't come on well until 35k and it was replaced just after 36k. I'm nearing 39k and so far so good.
Unread 09-06-2013, 02:28 AM   #5
mrwhipple
2012 JK Wrangler 

mine has been running fine since the replacement. i would think you should be good. no reason to trade it in.
Unread 11-13-2013, 04:25 AM   #6
mulemate

Hey all,
Got a 2012 wrangler purchased May 2013.. Since then been spending the last couple of months with the dealer jerking me around.
Oil change
Lifters replaced
O2 sensors replaced
All with the ticking noise and engine lights on...
Just yesterday they had a regional manager inspect the car and say that it's "normal"
I have spoken with Chrysler and they agree that the managers assessment is final.
I've sent a summary email outlining my case because it just stinks that they attempt to fix a problem, THEN claim it's normal..
Wondering if any one had any info they could send me to help in putting it to them to help my case..
Really big let down because I love this car!
Cheers, Sam
mulemate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #7
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

Lemon law it, fifth time in, tell them to buy it back, they'll change their tune real fast.
73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

The head they "say" they are installing now is the newer design. So buying a 2014 will have the same, so they say.

To mulemate. That dealer had to know about this issue its about as known as changing oil. Last time i heard of a dealer acting like this was back in early 2012 when they tries to replace everything but a head.

First off they MUST get the missfire code to go away. Under warranty. It will not pass a inspection with a Mill code, it will destroy the cat as well since the exhaust valve is leaking like sieve.

To all the fact that they only change one head is wrong, mechanically. will it work? as long as the other heads valve to seat alignment doesn't change, leading to a leak. I would bet that this all pertains to the flawed design of a cast in manifold. The wranglers showed this weakness do to the heat build up in lower speed conditions. From what I understand about this wonder of modern design, the motor is disposable. The heads can not be rebuilt?

Ours left bank was replaced at 20k. it ticked out of the box. Back in 2011 i coined the term, Pent-A Ticker over Pent-a- Jesus. Since the dealers wait for a code it can tick like it has tourette's and they will call it "injectors". I can now hear the right bank, only as the new head is now the lesser ticker.

I have read report of this cr@p still going on iinto the early13's. So is this head the fix? will the 14"s hold up to extended low speed.? Anyone know a good psychic?
Unread 11-13-2013, 10:18 AM   #9
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73azbronco View Post
Lemon law it, fifth time in, tell them to buy it back, they'll change their tune real fast.
If it was not bought new, they'll just show him the part of the lemon law where it applies to new vehicles. Then show him the door.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 01:01 AM   #10
mulemate

I live in Australia so I can't just claim a Lemon Law(which sounds like a brilliant law btw!).
I need to do some more pushing before I head to the arbitrators.. I'm thinking of pushing for a new car.. The fixes and things they do are making it worse! I don't suppose Chrysler put a formal media release on this?? All I have is 3rd party medial articles..
mulemate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 07:54 PM   #11
Wrangler98
2012 JK Wrangler 

We have over 2k on our new head and everything is fine. I never really noticed a ticking noise though, just that it idled kind of rough. The steering wheel shouldn't vibrate in a new vehicle. Thankfully our dealership has been really cool about everything, getting our TPMS sorted out, the head replacement, setting the steering wheel straight. Yesterday we went in for an oil change and they noticed the trans cooler line recall had not been performed so they ordered the parts for us.
1967 Ford Mustang-351W/4spd
Wrangler98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 12:10 PM   #12
tomthbomb
CJ7 1/2 Top Club mem. #1

1978 CJ7 

Mine runs fine after the repair. While it was in the shop I looked at a 2014 equipped identical to my 2012. I know the sales guy so I ask him for a trade in quote.
My sticker was right at $39k, so was the 2014. He wanted to give me $20k for mine. It did have 45k miles but no way I will take that kind of hit after 22 months of ownership. I will drive it one to two more years.
tomthbomb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-17-2013, 07:23 PM   #13
Goose346
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulemate View Post
Hey all,
Got a 2012 wrangler purchased May 2013.. Since then been spending the last couple of months with the dealer jerking me around.
Oil change
Lifters replaced
O2 sensors replaced
All with the ticking noise and engine lights on...
Just yesterday they had a regional manager inspect the car and say that it's "normal"
I have spoken with Chrysler and they agree that the managers assessment is final.
I've sent a summary email outlining my case because it just stinks that they attempt to fix a problem, THEN claim it's normal..
Wondering if any one had any info they could send me to help in putting it to them to help my case..
Really big let down because I love this car!
Cheers, Sam

Sam - take the JK to a different dealer!
Goose346 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #14
padgman5
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have been following this head replacement issue and am left to wonder why some driver's side heads are bad and being replaced and others operate without issues? Is it just a matter of time before replacement will be needed?

I have developed a ticking noise from the left side of the engine after the Jeep has sat in the garage for 2-3 days. Upon start, the left side will "tickety tap" for about 3 seconds and then goes away. I attribute this to a lifter due to oil drainoff? In checking for any codes using the 3x turning the ignition to "ON", I see no codes...just 5 lines. Does anyone think I am developing the above left head issue? The Jeep is at 12,500 miles and has a build date of March 2012.
Unread 11-24-2013, 02:15 PM   #15
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

My understanding why it's only one side is the each head is cast with the exhaust manifold as a part of the head, and are unique to there side, a left side and a right side, not interchangeable. The left side was designed and or cast poorly.

A little more reading finds the valve train is not serviceable, the valve guides are pressed in not unlike other heads, but pressed in a way that repair is not an option and not intended to be replaced. Until some machinist figures it out.
73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.