Those with 3" lifts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Those with 3" lifts

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 12-01-2010, 09:08 AM   #1
GunDude
2011 JK Wrangler 

Those with 3" lifts

Hello, new to this fourm and proud owner of a 2 door 11' JK Sport! I want to put a 2.5" - 3" lift on it. Looking at the BD 3" lift with new coils, adj. track bar, and cam bolts, shocks, brake line extension brackets, etc.

Was wondering if I need to get upper control arms to adj. pinion angle or will the cam bolt be good enough? From what I have gathered, it seems pinion angle is not a concern with lifts up to 3".

Would lower control arms be needed to center the axle?

Thanks for your help! It is good to back in a Jeep. I have owned in the past two CJ5's, wrangler when first came out, commanche, and a cherokee many years ago! My latest was a 95' Bronco with 6" lift and 351, with 4:88's and 35's, that I traded in on my 11' Wrangler.

GunDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I know of several who run the BDS lift and it seems to be a good lift and very solid. Couple of points. First, the choice is yours for the caster angle up front - either leave it as is ( some do) cam bolts (which involve knocking out a plug and is hard to reverse if you ever go to adj control arms) or just take the plunge and go with adj control arms up front. In the rear, my opinion is that it would be a good idea to go with adj. control arms and adjust the rear pinion, esp in a 2 door where the drive shaft is shorter. This will lengthen the life of the rear DS Rzeppa joints IMO. Second, the control arms have nothing to do with centering the axle - this comes from a adj track bar (panhard bar in older terms) and IMO will be a must with that much lift to keep the ESP system happy. Fill out your profile and keep us posted. Ohhhhh and welcome to the forum.

Also, a question, why a 3" lift? Looks, off road, big tires or a combination?
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
PlatinumOre
2008 JK Wrangler 

I bought the BDS lift off ebay for quite bit off.
Shocks, SStablizer, coil springs, quick, sway bar discos., cam bolts(wont use), bump stop exts, rear sway bar drop brackets, rear track bar relocation bracket

I bought JKS Adj front track bar and JKS front Adj Lower Control arms,

ive heard bad news with using bolts so thats why i personally went with the 400$ control arms. I never read anywhere in my research that the rear will need much of anything done to it, i might be forgetting though.

remember the BDS 3" wont level out your rake... doesn't bother me none, just thought id throw that out there.
PlatinumOre is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
GunDude
2011 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies! I am going to get the BDS 3" lift and not use the cam bolts, and upgrade to Bilstien 5100's. I will upgrade front and later the rear lower control arms.
GunDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.