Thinking of switching to JK - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Thinking of switching to JK

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 04-23-2013, 09:52 AM   #1
dukart
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thinking of switching to JK

I am currently running a 99 TJ and am seriously thinking of getting a JKU for the family, I have been reading and I know this has been beat to death already, but I am concerned about the reported excessive oil consumption issue with the 3.8 (which is what I am looking at, cost thing) How much of a concern is this, it seems when I search that almost everyone reports 1 quart per 1K. I know there is a ton of JK's out there and things get kinda distorted on forums, so is this a big concern or just a bad batch and getting a bad reputation for no reason.

Does anyone know if there is a way to tell (somethign in the VIN or a noise etc) if the ones I look at could be one of the notorious oil burners.

Thanks

dukart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Just curious, what year are you looking at/aiming for? My understanding is (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong) that the oil use issue was/is 2007/2008 years, and even then, not all, and even in the ones that do, the only issue is keeping the oil topped off/ changed?

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #3
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoonHoss View Post
Just curious, what year are you looking at/aiming for? My understanding is (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong) that the oil use issue was/is 2007/2008 years, and even then, not all, and even in the ones that do, the only issue is keeping the oil topped off/ changed?

Hoss
07-08 was my understanding as well

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #4
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'd at least check out '12s and 13s. I found that the price difference between new and 1-2 years old was nothing. I got my 2-door new for less than many used.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 10:57 AM   #5
JoonHoss
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio View Post
I'd at least check out '12s and 13s. I found that the price difference between new and 1-2 years old was nothing. I got my 2-door new for less than many used.
Not disagreeing, but I found the opposite (with a good deal of searching). Saved about $6k vs the 'cheapest' , same-optioned '12 I could find

Hoss

Don't mind me, I'm just another FNG around here...
JoonHoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 11:50 AM   #6
dukart
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Was looking at around 2008-2009, They can be had for around 17K with hardtop, 3.73's auto and air here, the new sport I priced out was just over 30K
dukart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
76silvercj5
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you are going to go for a auto I would highly suggest getting a 2012 or newer. The new 5 speed auto along with the new engine is worth it. Our 2008 has a 6-speed and the only thing that keeps me from trading it in is that I am either going to put a Ripp on it or hold out for a diesel. (We will have it paid off in 8-9 months, no jeep payment )
Unread 04-24-2013, 06:47 AM   #8
Monstrousmac
1974 CJ5 

2010 jku

Hi,

I have a 2010 JKU Auto with 33's and 3.73 gears it is not as bad as people say. I have a 1974 CJ-5 3 speed, I am lucky to get above 65. Oh, I also live in Germany and travel on the Autobahn everyday back and forth to work at Spangdahlem Air Base. I cruise at 75-80 mph or 130 Kmh with no problem. Trust me if I wanted to be fast I would have bought a BMW M3. So, do not let the 3.8 liter scare you, personally I prefer it because it is a proven motor and Chrysler has used it for years. The penstar has had its share of problems with bad heads and motor replacements in its first years. Matter of fact two other people stationed with me here in Germany are waiting to have the motors replaced. Not to say all the Penstar's are bad.

Now about the oil consumption, I bought my JKU brand new in 2010 and have put 30k miles on it with no oil consumption issues. I did however switch from 5w-20 to 10w-30 oil. The only reason for Chrysler to use the 5w-20 oil was to increase the MPG because it is thinner oil. I also do not use synthetic, I am old school. I change my oil every 3000 miles; it seems to work for me. My 1996 Grand Cherokee with the 5.2 liter has 327,000 miles and never had any engine problems, same for my 74 CJ-5. I stick with what works. I can't see spending all the money on synthetic oil to dump out every 3000 miles.

Just my 2 cents.
2010 Jeep Islander
Monstrousmac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.