Thinking of buying, have questions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Thinking of buying, have questions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 02-26-2007, 11:15 PM   #1
y2ksir

Thinking of buying, have questions

Hey everyone I have a couple of questions and was hoping you kind people would help me make my decision.

First of all I'm looking at the Sahara unlimited simply because I don't do any serious off roading to need the Rubicon, and I like the idea of power locks, windows etc.

My questions are.....I live in a condo and my clearance in the underground is 6'4" does anyone know the stock height with the 17's and 18's? Also what are the advantages to either 17's or 18's?

I have taken a Sahara for a test drive but I want a standard and all they had was an auto. Infact I havent even seen pictures of the stick shift on the standards, anyone have any or able to comment on the manual transmission?

The main complaints I have been able to see on here has been leaking (freedom top) and the noise behind the dash....is there anything else I am missing? Does anyone have any regrets or suggestions about buying their new Wrangler? Are they going to finally make the half doors, I've heard numerous things?

I'm sorry for all of these questions (some of which I'm sure have been asked already) but this is a major purchase and I'd like as much info as possible, and info from as many people as I can.

Any help is very much apprecieated! Thanks.

half doors

y2ksir is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2007, 02:44 AM   #2
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

The jeep is 72" tall, which is 6' even, I have about the same clearance as you and it fits, but I wouldn't want to lift it any.

The manual transmission is quite notchy and a little vague, it's rather agricultural, it takes some time to get used to the long throw of the shifter.

The leaking and "noise behind the dash" are both related to the freedom top, in the first case the leaks have been fixed by the addition of a rubber gasket to the panels, the noise behind the dash turned out to be one of the securing bolts for the roof not being tightened and rattling.

The hard top on my 2 door is very quiet (wind noise only around 75mph) and doesn't leak.
Unread 02-27-2007, 08:26 AM   #3
caliwankers

I have put a whopping 500 km (300 miles) on my Sahara 6 speed and this is what I have experienced.

The manual transmission seems to be a bit stiff but all in all, I have been pleased with it. If you want any sort of comfort from your ride, the Sahara offers it to you. The power locks and windows were a must for us as our last 5-6 vehicles all had this feature. I don't think that we would have considerd any new vehicle that didn't have these features. We have had no leaking from the freedom top. We took it through a car wash and were watching specifically for leaks and there were none. After the wash, we then removed the freedom top to take the soft top off and easily re-installed the freedom top. Still no leaks after alot of snow and rain.

We didn't have the rattling issue, but I can see how easily it could occur with the securing bolts as they don't tighten easily.

We purchased the 18" wheels primarily because of their looks. They just give the stock Jeep that little bit of a "wow" factor. We don't have plans to do any off roading, unless you count jumping the curb at the mall as off-roading.

Cali
18" Wheels
Dual Top Group
6 Speed
caliwankers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2007, 08:50 AM   #4
y2ksir

Wow, thanks for the response so far guys...it really does help. Perhaps I may want to consider the automatic if the manual is notchy and rough.

Kyoseki you say the unlimited is 6' exactly....is that on 17's or 18's?

I'm also curious to know what models of aftermarket navi people are useing since the MyGig has been so hard to get? What are your experiences with them??
Unread 02-27-2007, 10:29 AM   #5
4-cubed

I have the 18" wheels and the Jeep should sit at the same height as the 17" wheels since the tires in both cases are 32"s.

I'm 6'2" and I'm slightly taller than my Jeep.

I've had mine for 500 miles and have not experienced any issues with the dash noise. The only gripe I have is when I took off the Freedom Top to get out the soft top the screws connecting the Freedom top to the roll bar were overtightened or installed poorly at the factory and were a biotch to get off. When I finally did get it off I put some Never Seize on it and made sure it went straight into the bolt.
It seems easy enough to put in and out now. (The dealership also did a poor job detailing the outside but that is not the standard experience.)

BTW:
Saraha Unlimited
Rock Red Crystal
18" Wheels
Dual Tops
Side Airbags
4-cubed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2007, 11:43 AM   #6
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2ksir
Wow, thanks for the response so far guys...it really does help. Perhaps I may want to consider the automatic if the manual is notchy and rough.
It's the same gearbox as later model (04-06) TJs, so if you've driven one of those or can find one, you'll know what to expect. Automatic or manual is very much a personal preference issue.
Quote:
Kyoseki you say the unlimited is 6' exactly....is that on 17's or 18's?
As 4-cubed said, the wheels are the same diameter, but it looks like the unlimited is 71" tall, the biggest issue is going to be whether or not you travel down a ramp to enter your building - my place has a fairly steep entryway, so even though the vertical distance from the ground to the door is like 6'6", the normal (perpendicular) distance from the ramp to the door is a bit less - on a longer wheelbase this is a bigger issue.

See if you can take the Unlimited for an extended test drive and make sure it fits - I completely forgot to check distances when I ordered mine and got lucky
Unread 02-27-2007, 12:58 PM   #7
JeF4y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoseki
The manual transmission -- it's rather agricultural,

Well, I'm no longer seeking a description of the tranny when explaining to others... That is PERFECT...
Unread 02-28-2007, 12:16 PM   #8
Drednot
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The six speed is the best trans Ive ever had in a jeep. Its no short throw sports car speed shifting unit, but it's not supposed to be.
Agricultural???
That would describe the automatic as tractors use hydrostatic drive these days. Truck-like would be more appropriate.

If the OP likes power windows and locks, forget the half doors. They dont have that. When they do start making them , they will not be available on the four door sahara anyway only the 2 door sahara.
Drednot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2007, 12:45 PM   #9
jeepers3

Issues

I got my 4DR automatic Sahara (loaded) on 8 Jan 2007 - and I just clicked over 6,400 miles recently. Here are some random comments from my experience:

1). I got the MOPAR auto-start installed - wish I had not.
2). I got the Check Corporation heated seats installed - way to go!!
3). The rear window wiper fluid thing leaks - so I don't use the rear wiper anymore.
4). City mileage is steadily getting worse - now at 12.5MPG.
5). I have gained appreciation for the split rear seat (my trooper had an unsplit seat).
6). I wish the rear door had the window glass - the two step open process sucks.
7). Stereo sounds nice - but radio stations all pick up static. I just listen to iPod now.
8). Excellent snow and ice handling.
9). Outside temp gauge seems accurate to 1-2 degrees.
10). Compass accuracy is suspect (yes, I corrected for variance)
11). MPG meter seems reasonably accurate
12). Everywhere I go, people are looking at my Jeep, giving comments, etc.
13). I wish the pockets in the doors could hold more - like mail
14). I wish the seats had pockets on the back
15). Removing the hard top to take the soft top out was easier than anticipated.
16). Visibility sucks, but I am getting used to it.
17). Backup lights may as well not exist - definitely need more light back there.
18). I never used the side steps. I might take them off.
19). Still can't get the damned spare tire cover on. Cover is too damned small.
20). Had to turn rear view mirror upside down, so I could see out the front to the right.
21). Looks sharp (mine is silver, but I wanted Flame Red), don't regret getting silver.
22). Power is OK - engine is gutless only some of the time (hard accel, highway, etc.)
23). Heater is OK - works well, but is loud with the blower on full blast.
24). Definitely more elbow room than in previous Wranglers!!!!
25). I wish I had a good place for spare change in there.
26). I got the Mopar rear bumper (off-road), it kicks ***. Looks very nice.

I guess that's about it for now (:
jeepers3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2007, 12:56 PM   #10
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers3
20). Had to turn rear view mirror upside down, so I could see out the front to the right.
Good idea, I'm having trouble with that obscuring my view as well, is it tricky to do or does it just come off the mount and go back on upside down?
Unread 02-28-2007, 01:04 PM   #11
TexasChopper

I got the 6spd. wish I had gone with the automatic. It seems to have much more power then my TJ so I think an auto would be fine
TexasChopper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2007, 01:19 PM   #12
jeepers3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoseki
Good idea, I'm having trouble with that obscuring my view as well, is it tricky to do or does it just come off the mount and go back on upside down?
You don't have to even take it off the mount. Just spin it in around - it will go (:

I was really surprised to learn this - but this trick works in my wife's Aveo 5 too (:
jeepers3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2007, 01:34 PM   #13
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers3
You don't have to even take it off the mount. Just spin it in around - it will go (:

I was really surprised to learn this - but this trick works in my wife's Aveo 5 too (:
Cool, I'll give it a shot
Unread 02-28-2007, 06:41 PM   #14
y2ksir

wow, thanks for all the info so far guys....keep it coming please.
The 4dr won't be able to have the half doors?? Why is that?
Unread 02-28-2007, 06:43 PM   #15
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
wow, thanks for all the info so far guys....keep it coming please.
The 4dr won't be able to have the half doors?? Why is that?
Where'd you get that from? I've already seen pictures of a 4 door with half doors.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.