Thinking of buying a 4 door. What to expect? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Thinking of buying a 4 door. What to expect?

Rubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at Oco

Unread 08-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #1
rlloyd
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thinking of buying a 4 door. What to expect?

I've owned a yj for about 4 years now, and although I do love it, I am getting tired of fixing every little thing that breaks. Plus a little more power and luxury would be nice. About the I Lu thing I know is that I should get a 2012 or newer, as the engine has what 280 horsepower? Are there any things I should look out for on models? And also is a rubicon really worth the money? When cheaper better can be I stalled...

rlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #2
muddr1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I still have my Tj, I love that its a manual and its my travel all over and wheeling rig, The Jk is a 4 door, bought it last year. I have been driving that more and more lately. Off road too. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Now as far as rubicon or not, that's going to be a decision on what you will use it for. I got the sport, It was a lot cheaper and it goes off road quite well too. If your going to lift it, put aftermarket wheels and tires on, maybe getting a sport with the little dinky steel wheels will be worth it.
I sold the original wheels that came with mine, I wasn't going to, but they were just sitting around, and the extra money paid for more stuff.

The early 12 had a cylinder head issue, so make sure that was taken care of if looking at an early 12. But honestly, they hold there value really well, I would get a 13 or 14 if your looking that new.

Other than that, mine has been flawless. I have 24000 on it now, in just over a year. Do some reading, figure out what you want to do with it. and go from there. I think youll be happy.
Thomas Edison Keep Calm,Chive On
muddr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 11:52 AM   #3
Rags
2012 JK Wrangler 

I love my JKU, its a 2012 with a 2.5 RK lift, Goodyear MTR's (35's), rear ARB locker and alot of other goodies.. I love how it runs both on and off road, and i do use it alot of road. 16,000 miles now and no issues, i agree with muddr1 as far as buying a Rubicon, it really depends what you are using it for. Like i said, i run mine on 8 rated trails all of the time and she keeps up.
Rags is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
rlloyd
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys that helps. Yeah I did all my jeep work so defiantly will be lifting and putting other goodies. I will still keep the yj for my brother to use. How are the axles on these? Do you hear about guys doin axle swaps to like does 8.8? How much can I expect to pay for a used 12-13 with some miles?
Unread 08-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
Dumpsterfish

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlloyd
Thanks guys that helps. Yeah I did all my jeep work so defiantly will be lifting and putting other goodies. I will still keep the yj for my brother to use. How are the axles on these? Do you hear about guys doin axle swaps to like does 8.8? How much can I expect to pay for a used 12-13 with some miles?
The driveline is much beefier than the stock setup in the YJ. Depends on how hard you beat in them, but the D30/44 combo isn't terrible. Hell, Anything is better than that god awful c clipped d35 pos...ah memories.
Dumpsterfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
muddr1
1999 TJ Wrangler 

^^^^^^ Agreed with Dumpsterfish. I haven't had any issues with the 44-30 combo. I wouldn't worry too much unless you get to 35's and really intend to do some serious stuff.
Thomas Edison Keep Calm,Chive On
muddr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2013, 02:41 PM   #7
rlloyd
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah I would only run 33s, I just read about the dana 30/44 combo. Didn't know they did that. That was a pretty smart move. I supposed in would wheel it a lot especially with all the extra room to take friends. I live In Tucson and there are tons of trails on want to check out in southern Arizona. I mean he'll with what I do now with the dana 30/35 it seems to get the job done. Throwing a locker in those axles would be cheaper than the price difference of the rubicon.
Unread 08-17-2013, 07:35 PM   #8
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have both and really don't care what you get. I just thinks it funny how quickly the Rubi is discounted. Most people will not upgrade the transfer case, a 2012 or 2013 with 4:10 gears can handle 35s without the expense of a re-gear. then the next thing I hear is that the transfer case is only good if you rock crawl, well it's also really nice when you try to engine brake down steep climbs and has even more impact if you have an automatic. Whatever you get enjoy!

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 05:17 AM   #9
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
I have both and really don't care what you get. I just thinks it funny how quickly the Rubi is discounted. Most people will not upgrade the transfer case, a 2012 or 2013 with 4:10 gears can handle 35s without the expense of a re-gear. then the next thing I hear is that the transfer case is only good if you rock crawl, well it's also really nice when you try to engine brake down steep climbs and has even more impact if you have an automatic. Whatever you get enjoy!
I would never discount the Rubicon.

It is the most capable off-orad vehicle from the factory.

If I had the $ that's what I would be driving.
Unread 08-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #10
73azbronco
2013 JK Wrangler 

I just swapped from a four to a two door JK Rubi. Both are good, but Unless you NEED the space, get a two door. It is so much more a wheeler. More power, better mileage, due to less weight.
73azbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 05:31 PM   #11
rlloyd
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73azbronco
I just swapped from a four to a two door JK Rubi. Both are good, but Unless you NEED the space, get a two door. It is so much more a wheeler. More power, better mileage, due to less weight.
Yeah Ive actually been looking at 2 door rubicon a now. So much cheaper. I had wondered about that....
Unread 08-18-2013, 06:04 PM   #12
Dumpsterfish

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73azbronco
Funny, I was thinking this the other day as I was cursing the deceptively small cargo area of the 4 door I occasionally try to use for work.

Maybe I should swap to a 2drjkr, and use the extra cash for a beater yota truck.
Dumpsterfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 08:13 PM   #13
suicideking
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you're only going to go with 33's, the Sport D30 will be fine. If you think you will benefit from lockers, rails, and a lower TC, get the Rubi.

Also if you might go with 35's, the Rubi is the way to go.

I bought the '12 Sport 4 door and did a front axle swap for a Rubi D44 then put an ARB in the factory rear D44. I should've bought the Rubi, but it wasn't in the budget at the time of purchase.
suicideking is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2013, 09:29 PM   #14
CPT_D
2013 JK Wrangler 

I had a 2 door sport TJ before my now JKUR and I can tell you a few things 1. If you go off road you will quickly learn that the break-over angle sucks on the Unlimited and you will bottom out. With that said the JK has decent skids and can handle mild to slightly moderate abuse. 2. The difference in ease of trails is night and day when you have a Rubicon. Trails I struggled with before were child's play with the Rubicon and it's lockers and 4:1 low range. I will also say it is super convenient to simply push a button to disconnect your sway bar.

It's like this, we bought a 4 door because we have 2 kids that love to ride and we drive the Jeep every day. We bought a Rubicon because we love to go off road and the most common thing we always heard (and even said ourselves) was from people that didn't have a Rubi that they wished they had lockers. Now you can put lockers in for much less than you can buy a Rubi for but consider the Dana 44 and the transfer case and push button sway bar release and it's worth it...

The Dana 44 comes into play when you start considering larger tires (which you will with a 4 door to make up for the break-over angle).

I/we love our 4 door and I'm so happy I got a Rubicon I wouldn't have done it any other way, the questions you need to ask are 1. Do you plan on wheeling and how much 2. Do you need the extra room of a 4 door and 3. What can you comfortably afford. Then get what you can and wheel the heck out of it.
CPT_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:19 AM   #15
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

I went from a '92 YJ to a 2010 2 door and now a 2012 4 door. The first thing you'll notice is how quiet the JK will be, even with the soft top. The ride is spectacular compared to the YJ. If you drive stick, and buy a JK in stick, you'll have to retrain your brain to remember there's a 6th gear. Also, I had a hard time relearning that you need to push the stick forward to down shift. Good luck!
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.