thinking about trading liberty for wrangler - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > thinking about trading liberty for wrangler

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 12-02-2010, 11:14 AM   #46
JFD140
2011 JK Wrangler 

Ok so the sticker of the car, as posted above is $31,600

He told me he can do 14,500 on a trade in, which i am not too thrilled about. I think i can probably get 16-17000 private party.

The price he offered me on the car, is $30,600... yea ok.

I am a horrible negotiate, so as lame as this sounds im gonna have to go back with my mother and have her destroy them. She got me my liberty for like 20,000 which was 3000 below sticker.

JFD140 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #47
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442Wrangler View Post
Correct. People have stopped haggling dealers because they feel it is beneath them, but if you ask me no matter how much money I'll ever have I will still always haggle.
Don't EVER feel bad for the dealer....
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #48
JFD140
2011 JK Wrangler 

Just posted my car on craigslist.

Can't hurt to try for that extra $1500 privately.

Really need to get that price of 30600 down to like 28000 and they will have a buyer.
Unread 12-02-2010, 12:01 PM   #49
dave91gt
2009 JK Wrangler 

If it were any other vehicle, I would say you have the ultimate power as a consumer. However, Wranglers are one of the best in regards to holding resale value. For this reason, at least in my experience, it is a little harder to negotiate down the price. You will make some headway, but it is not as easy as say a F150 or Silverado. Around here, it is nearly impossible to find a used JK. We bought an 09 JK unlimited X last year new. We had to locate one (I actually found it before the dealer did). They came down very little on sticker. I was at their mercy in a sense as the vehicle we traded in didnt have enough equity. I was lucky to get it paid for actually.
dave91gt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 12:04 PM   #50
thedirtman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Keep the liberty, pay it off and start saving up so yo can pay cash for a slightly used wrangler if you want the best deal. Cars are not an investment and are very costly to own and trading cars every 2 years for someone that has to make payments on it is just plain stupid in a financial sense. If you want it and have the means buy it, but if you have to justify making a purchase because of a routine maintenance item or something like insurance cost or mpg you are just lying to yourself. You will never get ahead in life by buying stuff you don't need that depreciates quickly and falling farther in debt to do it. There are no "good deals" in trading late model vehicles for new. I don't mean to offend anyone making payments just my tcw.
Unread 12-02-2010, 12:08 PM   #51
JFD140
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Keep the liberty, pay it off and start saving up so yo can pay cash for a slightly used wrangler if you want the best deal. Cars are not an investment and are very costly to own and trading cars every 2 years for someone that has to make payments on it is just plain stupid in a financial sense. If you want it and have the means buy it, but if you have to justify making a purchase because of a routine maintenance item or something like insurance cost or mpg you are just lying to yourself. You will never get ahead in life by buying stuff you don't need that depreciates quickly and falling farther in debt to do it. There are no "good deals" in trading late model vehicles for new. I don't mean to offend anyone making payments just my tcw.
I can pay off my liberty cash if i felt like it, just no reason to because i do not gain anything from it.

I want a wrangler because simply i am not happy with the liberty and at the time it was the best i could afford.

I am 21 years old, i have no other expenses and im not planning to move out any time soon considering the cost of living around here.

Need to get things like this while i am young and can afford to play but i wont take it for a stupid price where i am getting killed by the dealer.
Unread 12-02-2010, 12:26 PM   #52
thedirtman

2007 JK Wrangler 

You should edit the word "need" in line four to read "want to get things" you don't "need" things like this you want them. Like I said in my post if you want it and have the means, buy it. Really, if you want it, what does price have to do with it? I mean $1000 over 72 months is only $13.88 per month (0% interest) sounds like you have plenty of means with no expenses but a car payment. Hell I pay 700 a month just for my property taxes, I have no car payment though.
Unread 12-02-2010, 12:36 PM   #53
JFD140
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
You should edit the word "need" in line four to read "want to get things" you don't "need" things like this you want them. Like I said in my post if you want it and have the means, buy it. Really, if you want it, what does price have to do with it? I mean $1000 over 72 months is only $13.88 per month (0% interest) sounds like you have plenty of means with no expenses but a car payment. Hell I pay 700 a month just for my property taxes, I have no car payment though.
No i am going to keep it as need. Happiness is a necessity in life, different things make different people happy. Personally i do not feel it neccesary to have a million dollars in the bank when i could die tomorrow and it all goes to waste.

Get the things you need to make YOU happy while you can.

I respect your opinion on the matter but i did not ask if i should get rid of the liberty or not from a financial standpoint, i asked for advice on pricing of one i am going to buy regardless.

Anyway, back to the topic please?
Unread 12-02-2010, 01:19 PM   #54
rasbutan
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD140 View Post
Just posted my car on craigslist.

Can't hurt to try for that extra $1500 privately.

Really need to get that price of 30600 down to like 28000 and they will have a buyer.
Run it over to Carmax. See what they'll give you for it.

and I agree about getting what you want. h3ll, if you listen to the fanatics we won't be around after next year anyways.
rasbutan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-02-2010, 01:23 PM   #55
JFD140
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasbutan View Post
Run it over to Carmax. See what they'll give you for it.

and I agree about getting what you want. h3ll, if you listen to the fanatics we won't be around after next year anyways.
hahaha 2012 is upon is.

Atleast we get to die in the apocalypse. If i get a wrangler i can off road through the rubble.
Unread 12-02-2010, 01:28 PM   #56
thedirtman

2007 JK Wrangler 

In order to answer your questions about the 72 month thing we need to know what the interest rate is as when paying off a loan the interest charges are greatest at the front end of the loan. Are you looking at the total cost of the vehicle over the 72 month period vs a 60 month? Interest paid on the loan goes down every month so the last payments will have very little interest. We need total financed and percentage rates for each loan to give you the answer.
Unread 12-02-2010, 01:36 PM   #57
JFD140
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
In order to answer your questions about the 72 month thing we need to know what the interest rate is as when paying off a loan the interest charges are greatest at the front end of the loan. Are you looking at the total cost of the vehicle over the 72 month period vs a 60 month? Interest paid on the loan goes down every month so the last payments will have very little interest. We need total financed and percentage rates for each loan to give you the answer.
The way the salesman explained it was, Say my monthly payment is 400 on 72 months.

But i increase it at some point on my own to 440, i could knock off that last 12 months. And i would not pay interest on those last 12 months making the purchase the same as having a 60 month loan to begin with.
Unread 12-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #58
thedirtman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Since I do not have the amount financed or the interest rate I will use $26,000 for the loan amount and 5% for the interest rate for my examples. $29,000 new car price - $14,500 trade in + $9,500 owed on trade + sales tax and other fees I would guess would net about $26,000 and 5% I pulled out of thin air.

A $26,000 loan for 60 months @ 5% interest will cost you $29,439.12 (60*490.65) for interest and principle.
Total interest of $3439.12

$26,000 for 72 months @ 5% interest will cost you $30,148.43 (72*$418.73) for interest and principle
Total interest of $4148.43

At the end of 4 years you have paid $20,099.04 (48*$417.73) on a 72 month loan and you would still owe $9544.45
Total interest of $3643.49 ($20,099.04 paid+$9544.45 owed-$26,000 principle) after 48 payments.

You will need to up your payment to $817.04 for the last 12 months to pay it off (end of year 5) and you would pay $260.45 in interest for the last year.

Total interest paid on that 72 month loan paid off in 60 is $3903.94

So to answer your question about the validly of the salesman's statement I would have to say false. You will end up paying $464.82 more in interest.

If you want to knock time off a loan you want to pay more on the first payments so you can knock the principle down. Your first payment on the 72 month loan pays $108.33 to interest and $310.39 to principle while the last payment only has $1.74 of interest and $416.99 to principle.

I hope this helps to make you more happy.
Unread 12-02-2010, 02:33 PM   #59
thedirtman

2007 JK Wrangler 

Looking at your sticker I would say to look for something else the 17" wheel/tire combo is a waste of money as well as the dual tops. Just get the freedom top and pick up a bikini top for $150 if you need it. My wife rarely runs without the hard top she just takes the front panels out. If you can drive a stick I would save the money on the auto it sucks with the 3.8 motor just crawl the threads and you will see. The wheels have a backspacing that requires you to run wheel spacers if you want bigger wider tires and btw 16" tires are cheaper than 17" when you are ready to upgrade. You can find nice 16" alloy rims for $100 each or you can buy a set of 17" jeep wheels on ebay, there are a ton of em.
Unread 12-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #60
JFD140
2011 JK Wrangler 

So if I go 72 instead of 60 I am paying around 1000 more total cost of the vehicle after 6 years vs 5 years.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.