thinking about trading liberty for wrangler - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > thinking about trading liberty for wrangler

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-01-2010, 09:21 PM   #31
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinminn View Post
Man, that had me laughing. I used to live in the Colo. Rockies and would occasionally go off-roading on some moderate trails. I'd be patting myself on the back after a half dozen obstacles until I'd meet some guy with his Subaru or worse yet Toyota Corolla on the same friggin trail. He may be leaving an oil slick but he's still going.
You aren't kidding! I don't know how many times I've seen ridiculous cars where I thought no car would ever be. I've even seen a Corolla on the way to a trail called Jenny Creek. It's amazing!

Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 09:24 PM   #32
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD140 View Post
again, that 30,000 is what they would LOVE to get from me. But they won't.

Can anyone validate this tread lightly deal? Anyone actually done it? Not gonna blow $25 for nothing...
Tread Lightly isn't a small, unknown, unestablished organization. This deal is valid. If you're still doubtful just call a dealership. I'd find out how much it would cost with the Tread Lightly deal then call or visit another dealer or just a different salesman and go $1,000 below that.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #33
JFD140
2011 JK Wrangler 

ok cool

So tomorrow assuming my trade in value looks good, i am gonna tell him i found a deal from tread lightly ask if hes heard of it, im sure he has and tell him seeing as any dealer will have to give me this price, what can you do for me past this.

That sound good?
JFD140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 10:11 PM   #34
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Why invest 2-3000 in making the liberty off road capable, when i can buy a vehicle i will be happier with and is already off road capable, without voiding the warranty.

Do not even begin to think that Jeep/Chrysler will cover anything under warranty even if you think or feel that it wasn't your fault or that the vehicle should have been capable of doing it. It does not work that way.

Just because they show a Jeep doing all sorts of things, doesn't mean they actually expect you will do it.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 10:17 PM   #35
JFD140
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
Do not even begin to think that Jeep/Chrysler will cover anything under warranty even if you think or feel that it wasn't your fault or that the vehicle should have been capable of doing it. It does not work that way.

Just because they show a Jeep doing all sorts of things, doesn't mean they actually expect you will do it.
nono im saying that the wrangler is decently capable out the box. Factory done nothing touched.

To do that to the liberty i am voiding every warranty imaginable.
Unread 12-01-2010, 10:23 PM   #36
Hussler
1992 XJ Cherokee 

So your saying you THINK you would buy this wrangler and not modify it?

Again, I STRONGLY urge you to go wheeling for once in your life before making any decisions
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorderC View Post
I see you also twizzled your scart lead. Well done! :thumbsup:
92 XJ with ARB's, 5" lift, too much armor, 33's and some other garbage
Hussler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2010, 10:26 PM   #37
JFD140
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussler View Post
So your saying you THINK you would buy this wrangler and not modify it?

Again, I STRONGLY urge you to go wheeling for once in your life before making any decisions
o no its getting modified, just not immediately.

Anyone see my above post like 4 posts up with the negotiating thing?
Unread 12-02-2010, 04:48 AM   #38
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinminn View Post
A few years ago when nothing was selling, I was looking at a Jeep similar to what you are looking at but without both tops (it was a hardtop). They said $26,000 or so if memory serves. So you should be near the ballpark. $30,000 sounds really high to me.
Things have not turned around as much as the Manufacturers are trying to make us believe, (or hope that we believe), in fact we're pretty much on the edge of another mini drop off with millions of peoples Unemployment bene's running out and no jobs in sight.
Here in Utah, I have begun to hear the same ads that we heard two or three years ago for vehicle sales making me think that they are still feeling the pain.
I would make them a ridiculously low offer and walk off the lot reminding them that they are not the only game in town. It worked for a co-worker of mine, he got a deal on a new 3/4 ton Dodge pickup that I would never have believed had I not seen the paperwork for myself, it just took a little time.
If you've got the time and the means, use it to your advantage. See if you can get a couple dealers bidding against each other.
We got our wrangler out the door including the 7/70 warranty for 23k, that was still 2k under sticker. The jeep itself had been marked down to 21 on the lot and they went down from there once we started "negotiating" ie....leaving. The golden rule of car salesmen is "don't let them leave the lot".
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 04:50 AM   #39
cadencedad
1999 TJ Wrangler 

what is there to think about? Soccer mom car or a Wrangler hmmm tuff choice
cadencedad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 07:38 AM   #40
JFD140
2011 JK Wrangler 

Here is the window sticker of the EXACT car.

http://www.jeep.com/hostc/getWindowS...HA3H10BL523383
Unread 12-02-2010, 08:45 AM   #41
mini-me
2012 JK Wrangler 

Given my recent experience, a good rule of thumb for an equipped JK unlimited is about 4-6k under sticker. You might do a little better depending on your situation but if you don't get 4k under I think you should go to a different dealer. You might get up to 6k if its a loaded rubi unlimited, I easily negotiated from 36 down to 30. I ended up buying a used rubi 2 year old for 26, loaded with everything with only 22k miles so I didn't actually buy the new rigs I negotiated on. I figure I saved about 3-4k buying used, to me that was enough to go the used route, your experience may differ. I found a super clean soccer-mom rubicon though, it was really brand new.
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:16 AM   #42
JFD140
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hussler View Post
OP, I suggest you go offroading first if youve never been.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mini-me View Post
Given my recent experience, a good rule of thumb for an equipped JK unlimited is about 4-6k under sticker. You might do a little better depending on your situation but if you don't get 4k under I think you should go to a different dealer. You might get up to 6k if its a loaded rubi unlimited, I easily negotiated from 36 down to 30. I ended up buying a used rubi 2 year old for 26, loaded with everything with only 22k miles so I didn't actually buy the new rigs I negotiated on. I figure I saved about 3-4k buying used, to me that was enough to go the used route, your experience may differ. I found a super clean soccer-mom rubicon though, it was really brand new.
Wow really? If I could get it that cheap I would buy it no question.

How does the dealer make any money.
Unread 12-02-2010, 09:31 AM   #43
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Wow really? If I could get it that cheap I would buy it no question.

How does the dealer make any money.
That's easy, the r@pe the crap out of 98% of their customers...
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:05 AM   #44
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbloyer81 View Post
Even 1% Below factory invoice?
I'm not sure what you are asking but I know that you can easily talk a deal with any dealer right now, they are all hurting to sell cars because the market sucks.

Even when my dad bought his 99 XJ new he got it for 21,000 fully loaded with the Up Country option, A/C, blah blah blah and the invoice was like 25,000 and the sticker was 27,000

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2010, 10:06 AM   #45
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
That's easy, the r@pe the crap out of 98% of their customers...
Correct. People have stopped haggling dealers because they feel it is beneath them, but if you ask me no matter how much money I'll ever have I will still always haggle.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.