thinking about trading liberty for wrangler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > thinking about trading liberty for wrangler

JK Front 3 Link Prototype - Clayton Off RoadDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 12-01-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
JFD140
2011 JK Wrangler 

thinking about trading liberty for wrangler

Currently rolling in a 2009 liberty i paid 22,000 for.

I owe 9500 on it still, and it is trade-in-valued at around 14-16,000.

I was at the dealership today, and they gave me a base price of $30,000 i did not start negotiating yet just wanted to run numbers.

My thing is, I work as an EMT for FDNY. I am not losing my job any time within the next 40 years.

The wrangler price tag is a little bit more than i would like to pay at the moment, i pay 270 PM on my liberty and the wrangler at 30,000 im a looking at around 440 PM for 60 months.

One of my first questions was to the validity of one of the salesmans suggestions. He told me i can do a 72 month loan instead, and when i get my promotion to paramedic/firefighter and double my income i can increase my payments, and not end up paying interest on that last year, making it the same as having 60 months or a balloon loan.

I know its foolish to even bother asking if the 4 door wranglers are good vehicles

So my other question was what is a realistic number to try and knock the sticker down to? I am looking at a 4 door automatic nothing added.

JFD140 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm assuming it's an Unlimited Non-Rubicon for the price. When we were looking, the Hard top/auto/premium sound was the common package, they wanted about 32k. We got into a hard door, soft top Unlimited sport with 6spd for 21k. The way I look at it is you're paying almost 10k for electric doors/windows, rear wiper, premium stereo, and the automatic downgrade.. :-) Seems pretty steep. Same frame, same gears, same engine. Flop top is a nice addition, doors come off easier.
I couldn't do the 10k (180/mo)extra for the bells and whistles.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
newjk
2008 JK Wrangler 

pay off liberty first, then get your promotion, then negotiate.
newjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 03:09 PM   #4
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Buy a slightly used one. They are cheaper and the warranty is actually longer than the brand new vehicle warranty if you buy a certified pre-owned vehicle. It's 80,000 on the powertrain. That should help your price point a little.

Oh, and if you can time it right or suck up two payments, sell your liberty your self and get the private party value for it.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
wh1plash
2013 JK Wrangler 

Wow, $30k sounds tough. I'd go to edmunds.com and run a price check there. They actual give you a real price based on what other people around your zip code are paying.

If you know you're going to make payments bigger than the min, then extending the loan can be a good thing. Just have to do the numbers on an amortization calculator.
wh1plash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043 View Post
I'm assuming it's an Unlimited Non-Rubicon for the price. When we were looking, the Hard top/auto/premium sound was the common package, they wanted about 32k. We got into a hard door, soft top Unlimited sport with 6spd for 21k. The way I look at it is you're paying almost 10k for electric doors/windows, rear wiper, premium stereo, and the automatic downgrade.. :-) Seems pretty steep. Same frame, same gears, same engine. Flop top is a nice addition, doors come off easier.
I couldn't do the 10k (180/mo)extra for the bells and whistles.
Wrong, besides what you just mentioned the Rubi also comes with a different transfer case (NP241 OR Rock-Trac) with 4:1 low range, rock rails, Dana 44’s front and rear with 4.10 gears, mud terrain tires with better wheels, lockers front and rear, electronic sway bar disconnect system and 32 spline rear axle shafts.

That’s a huge difference. If you do mild wheeling then what you got would work just fine.
Unread 12-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #7
JFD140
2011 JK Wrangler 

that price of 30,000 is with absolutely no negotiations on price.

Another $100 a month is no big deal to me at the cost of my happiness. I am just not satisfied with the Liberty.

I also need new tires very soon on the liberty, which i am looking at $700 + alignment so i would rather just put that into the down payment and lower my month almost $20 on the wrangler.

What is a realistic number to shoot for.

The exact one is

Red/black cloth interior
4 door hard/soft top both included
Automatic
Power locks and windows
Premium stereo (not nav)

Sticker is $30k

Also i really want to get into working on my own car. I started on the liberty with some shims in the front and really enjoyed doing it... sadly the liberty has few aftermarket parts and they are often overpriced.

O and i want to get into wheeling, never done it before but it looks like a blast. I can't even put anything bigger than 235/75/16s on the liberty without spending a few thousand on a lift...

By the time i spend the money for a lift and tires on the liberty, i may as well have traded in and up to the wrangler.
Unread 12-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #8
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Wrong, besides what you just mentioned the Rubi also comes with a different transfer case (NP241 OR Rock-Trac) with 4:1 low range, rock rails, Dana 44’s front and rear with 4.10 gears, mud terrain tires with better wheels, lockers front and rear, electronic sway bar disconnect system and 32 spline rear axle shafts.

That’s a huge difference. If you do mild wheeling then what you got would work just fine.
Yeah, we were definitely talking Non-Rubicon. The Rubi's start at about 36 and go from there.
Unread 12-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #9
MeatPuppet
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Sell the Liberty private party, get a few grand more than the dealer will offer you.

Determine what you want on the JK, then determine if you can get there with after market parts or do you need factory.

The suggestion for a certified pre-owned is valid, I'm sure you can find something in or around the NYC area that suits your needs.

Utilize your department's credit union, rates and terms are probably better than the stealerships.

Thanks for running into burning buildings while everyone else is running out.
Unread 12-01-2010, 04:44 PM   #10
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Does it have to be brand new?
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 04:56 PM   #11
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newjk View Post
pay off liberty first, then get your promotion, then negotiate.
I agree with this perspective and also the post below it as "Option B" in that you may consider selling the Liberty on your own and looking for a used JK.

You may have your job and a promotion lined-up, but I never bank on future income, as much as I tend to think my own job is secure. I took out the 60-month loan on my 2007 and was able to pay the full balance well ahead of full term, so I understand your thought process; however, I went into the deal with a conservative mentality (i.e. static income projection).

Best of luck and happy trails either way!
DangFoo is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #12
JFD140
2011 JK Wrangler 

Is the new engine in the 2012s gonna be a huge difference?
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:02 PM   #13
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

????? Very good question....how's your magic 8-Ball working?
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:11 PM   #14
daggo66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Join Tread Lightly at Tread Lightly - Home for $25 and you can get a new Wrangler for 1% under invoice.
Unread 12-01-2010, 07:15 PM   #15
JFD140
2011 JK Wrangler 

Is the new engine in the 2012s gonna be a huge difference?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.