Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Thinking about buying a 2006 Jeep Wrangler

879 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  kernsy 
#1 ·
but thought I would ask you all first.
Can you swap out the back seat of the 06 for the back seat of the 07?

That is all.

We are going to one car, and I figured I might as well get something practical for the winter weather and hills here, but one that will be fun in the nice weather as well.

Thanx!

#3 ·
A 2006 TJ is totally different than a 2007 JK in almost all aspects. For a family. version consider a 4 door JK

#4 ·
Thanks so much for the fast replies.
Yeah, lots of snow and hills. I am currently 4 wheeling a 08 Cobalt up dirt hills to get out to the race stable I keep my horses at. My 06 Sante Fe was doing good, but then it just decided to need massive repairs at 200k.

Family is small. One kid. One dog. One spouse. LOL
I am wanting the 4 dr and have been shopping online for one with a decent price and miles on it. But wanted to ask about the 2dr since I found one for good $.

Again, thanks for the info.

#6 ·
As someone else mentioned, there is a pretty massive difference between a 2006 (TJ), and 2007 (JK) Wrangler.

The most practical Wrangler for a family is the 4 door Unlimited (JK 2007-current)...not to be confused with the extended length 2 door Unlimited in TJ.

I have a 2013 4 door Sahara....which is basically the mall crawler edition. I love it to death as my daily driver...but as far as "practical" goes....my wife's 2011 Rav4 Sport is a more practical vehicle. We also have 1 kid and 1 dog.

The only issue with the JK's is that there was a major interior updated in 2011, along with a major engine and auto tranny update in 2012. So to get the most up-to-date version, you are basically buying new...and I can't say that they are all the cheap.

#5 ·
I'm fairly confident that a 2006 TJ back seat is not plug-and-play with a 2007 JK, as I do recall this question on a prior occasion.

As for a JK and family use. We have a 4-door and 2-door and the 4 is more practical for long trips, given its storage capacity, while the 2 is more nimble (duh) and fun to drive. There are plenty of cargo racks on the market and I'm planning on getting one of the Garvin racks that go on the rear (above the spare tire) for our 2-door. That should provide a bit of extra storage if you have this same concern.

Also, depending on the age of your kid; the back seat can be a challenge to access on the 2-door, so I strongly suggest visiting your local dealer and testing both.

#7 ·
No you cannot swap the seats. you might want to look for the 2dr LJ, it the long wheel base of the TJ, made from 2004 to 2006. they have a little more rear seat leg room and a lot more storage space than a regular TJ. Also take the kid along when you go for a test drive, see how hard is to help them in and out of the back seat, then figure-out if the 2dr will be ok.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.