Thermostat change - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Thermostat change

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 11-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #1
mello

Thermostat change

I accidentally posted in general forum figured I would re post here since this is a JK topic. Anyone out there running a 180 degree t-stat, if so for how long and with results? After talking to RIPP they have tested them and recommend the swap. One of their guys told me that it was standard for them to change JK t-stat from stock to 180. I am thinking about making the change just wondering if any of you have ran the 180 t-stat for a few miles and with what results. Also anyone getting a P0128 in cold weather for not warming up fast enough?

mello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Not sure about this. I haven't done a t-stat change yet.
Post this question in this thread (RIPP SC-only thread) and see what answers you get: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/r...-only-1513250/
Re-inventing the circle and straight line.
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #3
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

TO meet emissions and get the mileage we do get, don't lower you engine's temp. It's designed to run where it is.
Unread 11-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
ronjenx
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

A 180 thermostat will lower the engine temp on the highway as there is plenty of air flowing through the radiator. Under-hood temps are not high on the highway.
The 180 thermostat won't lower the engine temp when going slow unless you also lower the "fan on" and "fan off" settings.

If your goal is strictly lowering the under-hood temps, consider something that will aggressively do that while letting the engine run at its design temperature of 195.
OEM Mechanical Fan Retrofit
ronjenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #5
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

YUP, do like rj says--

Don't try to apply 1960 engine op/performance temps to the new jeeps/cars, it's ridiculous, but thats the way they're designed now/w hi-temp gaskets/fitting/components/plastic-etc-

You might wanna get a scooped/vented hood and don't put too much crap in front of the grill slots-

Most of what you do for temp reduction will be for YOUR personal pleasure and not affect the engine/compt-ops

My '08 JKUR has operated in the NorNv desert, at 90 to 115F for over 5 years and with some required maintenance--she ops fine, no degradation-

Good luck

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.