There is a Jeep God... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > There is a Jeep God...

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 12-01-2008, 05:55 PM   #1
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

New Hood Latches

There really is a Jeep God. I just installed the new í09 recalled hood latches from Mopar and from my initial testing they work great. The test only involved going down the highway at 80-90 mph. There wasnít much a wind, just a slight breeze but at that speed and less, my hood was bouncing all over the place with the original ones. With the new ones there was absolutely none. I repeat, none. With all the excitement of a 10 year old getting a new bike for the first time at Christmas, I didnít want to take the time to take pictures. I can tell you that it takes about 5 min to swap them out.

I will remove one of them and take some pics to show all who is interested, and give the part # and price.

I canít get the smile off my face.

Last edited by 1222; 12-01-2008 at 06:52 PM..
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #2
Hellbound13
2008 JK Wrangler 

Please do. Id like to replace mine.
Hellbound13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound13 View Post
Please do. Id like to replace mine.
I will sometime tonight. I promise.
Unread 12-01-2008, 06:19 PM   #4
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

To install them, all you have to do is remove the front grill and the one nut holding the bottom latch on, swap in the new ones, reinstall the nuts, front grill and your done. They look and latch just like the original ones. They also feel just as soft and easy as the original ones too.

To reinstall the nut it will take some nimble fingers. For those who donít have much experience with that sort of thing be prepared to drop it a few times. Not to worry though, as it should drop straight to the floor if you do.

The part number is [CBBOH380]. To be safe, make sure you tell the parts guy you want the recalled replacement latches for the í09, not the original latches for the í09. Just a little extra insurance incase the parts guy gets confused.
Unread 12-01-2008, 07:34 PM   #5
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Duh. You didn't know the Jeep god exists? He needs to be smacked and fix my Jeep right..
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2008, 07:55 PM   #6
BrettDez
2012 JK Wrangler 

For those without the recall notice. I just purchased the Daystar replacements and installed them the day before my cross country trip, which I'm finishing up tomorrow. I was crossing Nebraska yesterday and the wind was so strong, it was pushing my Jeep from the right lane into the left lane with single gusts! It was ridiculous! Tractor Trailers were all stopping under underpasses to shield them from the wind or at rest stops. On the CB one of them jokingly said, "I expect to see a cow fly by soon." Even with me going 70 in this wind, while counter steering to the right ALOT but only going straight or still going left from the wind, my hood was MOTIONLESS! The daystar replacements worked amazingly. And I cannot think of a better test than the worst wind I've ever seen on a road besides a frigg'n tornado!
"The Smurf": --Pic 1-- --Pic 2-- --Pic 3-- --Pic 4--
Previous Jeeps: --2007 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon-- --2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ Rubicon-- --1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ--
BrettDez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2008, 11:36 PM   #7
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasMack View Post
Duh. You didn't know the Jeep god exists? He needs to be smacked and fix my Jeep right..
Just like the real God, he works in mysterious ways. The Jeep God didnít make our Jeeps; he just shows up once in awhile and rewards us with a fix or two.
Unread 12-01-2008, 11:45 PM   #8
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettDez View Post
For those without the recall notice. I just purchased the Daystar replacements and installed them the day before my cross country trip, which I'm finishing up tomorrow. I was crossing Nebraska yesterday and the wind was so strong, it was pushing my Jeep from the right lane into the left lane with single gusts! It was ridiculous! Tractor Trailers were all stopping under underpasses to shield them from the wind or at rest stops. On the CB one of them jokingly said, "I expect to see a cow fly by soon." Even with me going 70 in this wind, while counter steering to the right ALOT but only going straight or still going left from the wind, my hood was MOTIONLESS! The daystar replacements worked amazingly. And I cannot think of a better test than the worst wind I've ever seen on a road besides a frigg'n tornado!
The Daystar ones do seem to work, but with a very hard time trying to latch them. On the other hand, the new Mopar ones are exactly as the original latches and very easy to latch plus they are cheaper than the Daystars. What more could you ask for other than never having to deal with the problem in the first place.
Unread 12-02-2008, 12:58 AM   #9
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Here are the pics of the new í09 latches. They look exactly the same as the old ones.

Unread 12-02-2008, 07:04 AM   #10
BrettDez
2012 JK Wrangler 

1222, I can't disagree with you that they are harder to latch the hood. But only the first time was it really difficult for me. Now, 3 or 4 days later and they aren't easy but are ALOT easier than the first time latching them. Takes a little oomph but I have no problems latching them. Now, my fiancee probably couldn't latch it though. However, if the hood is up, it's me doing something, not her! lol

And nice pictures by the way. I'm glad it's all working out for people. I like my daystars and I think they'll get even easier to latch once they get a bit more worn in. It's only been a few days and they're already easier, so with a little more time it should be no problem I think. If they turn into a PIA, I'll just order some mopar ones! :-) I am happy with them though.
"The Smurf": --Pic 1-- --Pic 2-- --Pic 3-- --Pic 4--
Previous Jeeps: --2007 Jeep Wrangler JK Rubicon-- --2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ Rubicon-- --1987 Jeep Wrangler YJ--
BrettDez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2008, 09:48 AM   #11
BiGEN
2007 JK Wrangler 

part # and price please?

VAJeepTrailDogs
[/color]
BiGEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2008, 10:42 AM   #12
Grant211
2007 JK Wrangler 

read post# 59 about the TSB out on these

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...?t=4526&page=3
Unread 12-02-2008, 10:47 AM   #13
Clinft
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quick question? How can you be sure that the replacements are not better simply because they are new? I know my hood didn't move until about a month and a half after I bought it. My assumption was that they get looser over time.

Don't get me wrong, I hope to heaven that the new latches fix the problem, but I may wait to see how they hold up. Please revive this thread in a month or so with an update.

Don't mean to be a debbie downer :-) I AM stoked for you!
Unread 12-02-2008, 11:09 AM   #14
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clinft View Post
Quick question? How can you be sure that the replacements are not better simply because they are new? I know my hood didn't move until about a month and a half after I bought it. My assumption was that they get looser over time.

Don't get me wrong, I hope to heaven that the new latches fix the problem, but I may wait to see how they hold up. Please revive this thread in a month or so with an update.

Don't mean to be a debbie downer :-) I AM stoked for you!
Well for me my hood was bouncing the day I received it. There was no waiting or breaking in period. They have not gotten any looser as time went by. They where crap from day one. As far as how well the new ones will hold up I have no idea. I would assume they should be fine since itís a recall item acknowledging that the old ones are in fact defective.

Also I have yet to pass a semi-truck or extreme winds. When I do, I will post the results here for an update.
Unread 12-02-2008, 11:20 AM   #15
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGEN View Post
part # and price please?
Part number is # CBBOH380, price is $19.83 plus tax. I got mine for 15.86 because I have an account with them but would have been very happy to have paid the $19.83. Coming from the dealer itís a great price.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.