Is there any way to shoehorn 15" tires onto a JKU? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Is there any way to shoehorn 15" tires onto a JKU?

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 08-12-2013, 05:59 AM   #1
Voodoo_Chile
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Is there any way to shoehorn 15" tires onto a JKU?

I just bought beadlocks and tires for my TJ and now have a set of 5 35" MTK with kevlar with a ton of tread on them. I can sell them but would love to throw them on my JKU sport. Is there any tire out there that may clear the calipers or would I need a spacer to push the rims outside of the caliper area? How bad would it be with 3.73 a manual transmission backed by the Penstar?

thanks!
Jeff

Voodoo_Chile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 08:32 AM   #2
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have been running 15" wheels since I bought my JKU. There are a lot of threads about this and the different wheels that work. I have aluminum ultra's on mine. There are a lot that work.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #3
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

or you can go cheep like me and shoe horn on a 15 that needs love to fit.
You can not shim the rim out past the rotor/caliper, that would be like 0 back space. the tire would stick out like 8" a side.
A few things I know for sure about my Unique 15x8@3.75 Steel with the round holes went. They cost new 42$. During the test fit they did rub the Face of the front caliper. People have faced off/ground the caliper front. BUT if they would have looked at he rim(s). It is the decorative holes that were punched through the steel. This created a "lip or ridge" on the back side. If they were "smoothies" would be no issue. I just smoothed off the back of the holes were needed ON the rim. took 15 minutes and a flapper wheel to do all 5.

Seems most the alloys work. I can not say for certain.

Some people claim they could not upgrade the tie rods to a heavy duty like Currie or Synergy.
I researched it and found only" it mat not work" no real personal details. Currie center link is top dollar 1K plus kit with the drag. I went with the Synergy 1ton + tres and there rod and drag. It fit. They warn that the off set must be at 4.5. well most steel rims that fit are 3.5-4.0 B.s. This is so it clears at lock. Will not work on stock rims, with out spacers.

YOU will never be able to go with big brakes. That's a no brainer.

When balancing you can not STACK the tape weights. they will hit the caliper.

Not for everyone. but an option.
Unread 08-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #4
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

My friend just put the synergy Tie-rod on and I test fit my 15's on his jeep and it fit fine.

It seems the alloy wheels fit better than the steel wheels. If they put the weights in the right place they can stack them on my wheels.

I was going to switch to 17's this last tire change but I like the look of the 15's and the price per tire was more than $100 more each tire. So, I will stick with 15's until I feel I need the bigger brakes.
Unread 08-13-2013, 07:01 AM   #5
Voodoo_Chile
1997 TJ Wrangler 

thanks guys! I dont play too much with upgrades for the JK and I was suprised the new tires for the TJ had so much meat on them... Love m MTRs so I may run those on my JKU.... I will search for the other threads...
Voodoo_Chile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #6
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneslider View Post
My friend just put the synergy Track bar on and I test fit my 15's on his jeep and it fit fine.

It seems the alloy wheels fit better than the steel wheels. If they put the weights in the right place they can stack them on my wheels.

I was going to switch to 17's this last tire change but I like the look of the 15's and the price per tire was more than $100 more each tire. So, I will stick with 15's until I feel I need the bigger brakes.
the track bar is not near the rim and has nothing to do with steering and fit of 15"
Unread 08-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
the track bar is not near the rim and has nothing to do with steering and fit of 15"
I miss-typed, he installed the tierod and drag link by synergy and neither contacted my 15" wheel. The tie-rods were very close though, probably 1/8".
Unread 08-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
RVator

I used US Wheel D window Daytonas in 15x8 with a 4 in bs from Summit. I didn't have to grind anything to fit them. I used dynabeads for balancing instead of lead weights.
RVator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 12:11 PM   #9
NMBruce
2013 JK Wrangler 

does a TJ have a 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern and a JK have a 5 x 5 bolt pattern, so you would need to convert that, sure there must be spacers to it
Unread 08-14-2013, 01:07 PM   #10
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneslider View Post
I miss-typed, he installed the tierod and drag link by synergy and neither contacted my 15" wheel. The tie-rods were very close though, probably 1/8".
they are close I was worried when I ordered the parts myself. at the time never found a definitive answer.
Unread 08-14-2013, 09:14 PM   #11
iajtdg
2010 JK Wrangler 

thought I'd give my 2 cents worth. I recently purchased 2010 Sahara 4 door. I have always loved the sixty's Cragar Mags. Bought one wheel (free shipping from Summit) tried it on and had caliper rubbing. I ordered a set of 5/16" spacers from Amazon. Did the trick for me. I have 15 X 10 Cragars with 33 x 12.50 x 15 BF ATKO. No lift, No need. Fit is excellent, no rubbing even at full lock. BTW wheels have 4.5" BS and 5x5 pattern.
iajtdg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-14-2013, 11:18 PM   #12
suicideking
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm running MB TKO 15 X 8 and 35 x 12.5 GY MTR/K. There are a bunch of wheels that work. It must have 3.75" BS to fit.
suicideking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.