TheHitman's Build Thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > TheHitman's Build Thread

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-23-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
TheHitman

TheHitman's Build Thread

I'll start with introducing myself, my name is Justin and I enjoy long walks on the... Oh wait, wrong website. I ordered my first Jeep at the beginning of the month and it can't arrive soon enough, I'm getting a flame red Unlimited Rubicon w/ basically no options but a/c and tow package.

I have a couple other vehicles but the Jeep will be my daily driver and a weekend warrior as well doing some mudding and trailing. I plan to run 35's from the start but would like to hear some of your opinions on lifts, tires and flares. I'll be getting most of my aftermarket parts through my brother in-law's company but he is just starting out and has limited selection for the time being.

My tire options are Pro-Comp, Dick Cepek and Mickey Thompson's. The general consensus seems to be BFG KM 2's or MTR Kevlars, I do have access to good deals on those tires but I'd like to support family so of those 3 brands is there a tire that is comparable in performance to them.

Next question is the age old lift question, I've got a few more options there but unfortunately none that seem to be talked about with high regard on here like OME and Rock Krawler or Terra Flex. My options here are Rancho, Superlift, Skyjacker, BDS, Rough Country, Pro-Comp and I think a couple more that I may be forgetting. So out of those is there one or two that someone would recommend or recommend to stay clear of. I don't mind paying for quality but price could be a deciding factor as I'm currently unemployed. I may opt to just go with Metal Cloak flares to fit the 35's and put a lift later if I decide to regear and run 37's so your input on that route would be appreciated as well.

I know there's a search bar and I've used it lots but just don't seem to find the answers I'm looking for so I apologize for the questions that have probably been asked before. Thank you in advance for your replies and sorry for such a long post.

Justin

TheHitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
tslewisz
2010 JK Wrangler 

I'd do 35's and flat fenders then decide what to do from there. Any bigger tires and your gears will suck, and you have a lot to learn about lift kits...and "supporting mods" like control arms and driveshafts, etc. That being said, a lot of guys are liking the new Rough Country 3.5" Series II lift.

I've not used the tire brands you mention, but I have heard that you'll want to avoid Baja Claws where you live. Their side bite sucks. After all, they're for the desert, right?
tslewisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
RockyClymer
RedRock4Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum...
I will take a shot at some of your items, not all.
I would take the ProComp MTs if you asked, but for 30 bucks more a tire I would go with the KM2s - why? Becuase I have them and like them.
There is a sale on the OME lift kit at Northridge 4x4 with free shipping from Dave...OTH, if you need to go cheap, just get a budget boost for a few hundred. Of the others you listed, BDS seems to do a great job, stay away from some of the cheaper set ups - remember, you often get what you pay for and then you can keep on paying to fix things they did not take into account....a word of advise.

Oh, and also, don't lift higher than you need to....IMO - see the FAQ section at the top of this forum...good reading for the newbs.
"It takes a special kind of stupid to believe criminals will follow gun laws."
I do not consider myself a smartass. I point out the obvious, search for the truth, and speak fluent sarcasm. I am, by experience, an accomplished curmudgeon.
RockyClymer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #4
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Welcome to the Club
Let the Mod's begin

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #5
TheHitman

Thx guys,, I'm looking forward to blowing all my savings on this thing and doing some exploring in the great Canadian wilderness. I'll be posting pics when I pick it up and I'll document all my mods like so many you guys do which I do greatly enjoy following.

Justin
Unread 02-23-2011, 10:51 PM   #6
No_Return
2008 JK Wrangler 

Welcome!

Ok now, Say it with me...

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

If you are picking mods out before you even drive it off the lot, you are so screwed.
Unread 02-24-2011, 10:46 AM   #7
TheHitman

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

I think I got it
Unread 02-24-2011, 11:24 AM   #8
MrOrange
2009 JK Wrangler 

I'd recommend the Pro Comp MTR's if this is a DD. They have the lowest road noise out of your options. I'd suggest 35s and flat fenders to get you going. Wheel it a little and get to know the Rubicon and you'll find that it's more than capable for your needs. Some helpful links since you aren't familiar with this usefil site called Google:

http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...de/index1.html
http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl..._jk/index.html
http://www.fourwheeler.com/techartic..._jk/index.html
5.13 gears, ARB front locker, Currie front shafts
Bushwacker flat flares, Rubicon rails with steps added
MrOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 12:31 PM   #9
dsjk
2011 JK Wrangler 

[QUOTE=tslewisz;11035267]I'd do 35's and flat fenders then decide what to do from there. Any bigger tires and your gears will suck, and you have a lot to learn about lift kits...and "supporting mods" like control arms and driveshafts, etc. That being said, a lot of guys are liking the new Rough Country 3.5" Series II lift.
QUOTE]

Rough Country?!?!?!

Do you mean Rock Krawler, Rusty's, or Teraflex?
I have never heard anyone say anything good about Rough Country after 5 years of patroling the forums.
dsjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #10
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Welcome to the forum...get ready to start living on ramen and pb&j to maintain your Jeep habit...

Of the several companies your brother works with in regards to suspension...BDS is probably the best. I believe they guarantee everything under a lifetime against defect (obviously if you beat the hell out of something on rocks long enough, it will break, not covered).

Like the other's have said...you might consider running flat fenders, getting the wheels (or spacers) you need to provide 4.5" or less backspacing, and sit on the rest of your decisions. You will find that the more you drive it, the more you will realize what route you want to go.

Now go break your piggy bank! Mike
EDIT: also consider the additional driveline/steering/alignment modifications many of us have made/want to make after going with a budget boost or simple spring lift, and possibly consider going for the full nine yards out the gate with suspension. Many of the companies offer great full suspensions systems (teraflex LCG 3" LA, AEV 3.5" premium) If you stick to your brother's offerings, the BDS 2" coil lift, in combination with flat fenders, can be upgraded with adjustable control arms, etc. and would be a great LCG setup. Just some thoughts to ponder!
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2011, 11:12 PM   #11
TheHitman

Well I think with your guys' posts and others I've read, I'm going to start with the cheaper route first with a BB and cheap flares and try it out like that and see where I feel it needs improvements and like tslewisz said I've got lots to learn. Thank you for your inputs and the welcoming.
Unread 02-24-2011, 11:57 PM   #12
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Just
Expect
Every
Problem
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift , opinions , tires

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.