terrible clunk and lurch when starting. 2006 auto wrangler unlimited - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > terrible clunk and lurch when starting. 2006 auto wrangler unlimited

Black Friday Sale!!FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Reply
Unread 12-29-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
jdanilson
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: virginia
Posts: 4
terrible clunk and lurch when starting. 2006 auto wrangler unlimited

My 2006 wrangler unlimited (33K miles) with automatic has just started having a problem. It occurs when starting from a dead stop and accelerating to 1 or 2 mph at which point there is a terrible clunk (metal on metal) sound from the rear and a jerk. Both times I thought I had been rear-ended! It's definitely not the brakes and I'm guessing it's in the differential.

It first occurred on 12/24. It occurred again on 12/27. So only two times but I've been doing lots of driving. Both times were nearly identical. I was stopped at a light and started accelerating. If it makes a difference, I've been doing a lot of 4H driving here due to snow but in both of these situations I was in 2H mode. (I've done some limited off-road driving but none recently; the last time was back in August 2008.)

I'm taking it to the dealer on Thursday (12/31) but hate to go there with an undiagnosed issue.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

jdanilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2009, 01:56 PM   #2
99TJSahara
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Gurnee, IL
Posts: 1,706
wrong section, you have a tj
__________________
-Joey
99 Wrangler Sport
04 Grand Cherokee Overland
99 Wrangler Sahara-sold
99TJSahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2009, 02:03 PM   #3
JeffinWesternWA
Registered User
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SW WA
Posts: 948
Sounds like U joints, can be differential (low fluid or other problem), are you sure it's "center" of the rear, not either rear wheel area?
__________________
JeffinWesternWA
JeffinWesternWA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
jdanilson
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: virginia
Posts: 4
sorry about posting in the wrong group. should I move it?

As to the question it's hard to tell but I'm reasonably certain it's from the rear and I can't favor either side.
jdanilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-29-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
1222
Make mine a Jeep!
 
1222's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Henderson, Nevada
Posts: 11,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanilson View Post
sorry about posting in the wrong group. should I move it?
Youíre fine. Itís all related.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanilson View Post
As to the question it's hard to tell but I'm reasonably certain it's from the rear and I can't favor either side.
When you find out the problem let us know if you happen to go to the TJ section though. At least, Iím curious.
__________________
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2009, 10:32 AM   #6
calemasters
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Thousand Oaks, California
Posts: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdanilson View Post
My 2006 wrangler unlimited (33K miles) with automatic has just started having a problem. It occurs when starting from a dead stop and accelerating to 1 or 2 mph at which point there is a terrible clunk (metal on metal) sound from the rear and a jerk. Both times I thought I had been rear-ended! It's definitely not the brakes and I'm guessing it's in the differential.

It first occurred on 12/24. It occurred again on 12/27. So only two times but I've been doing lots of driving. Both times were nearly identical. I was stopped at a light and started accelerating. If it makes a difference, I've been doing a lot of 4H driving here due to snow but in both of these situations I was in 2H mode. (I've done some limited off-road driving but none recently; the last time was back in August 2008.)

I'm taking it to the dealer on Thursday (12/31) but hate to go there with an undiagnosed issue.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Do you also det an engine flair? If so, check the auto transmission fluid level. But since you indicated a metal on metal noise, it may be a loose rear axle / suspension link connection or bushing. Also, could be something like a loose or broken transmission mount.
calemasters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #7
jdanilson
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: virginia
Posts: 4
No update to this since it has not recurred. I had my mechanic check for u joints or differential oil levels. Everything is fine. I guess I just have to wait.
jdanilson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #8
jmb6420
Engr. & Mechanic
 
jmb6420's Avatar
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Tulsa, Ok
Posts: 557
Dang man, after 3 1/2 years I'd say it is solved.
__________________
Mike
08 Rubicon Red Jeep Club #629

"You can't fix stupid" Ron White

°ɹǝʌo ǝɯ dıןɟ 'sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
jmb6420 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 04:24 AM   #9
tankinyj
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: huntington, NY
Posts: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmb6420 View Post
Dang man, after 3 1/2 years I'd say it is solved.
__________________
[QUOTE=SFRautomotive;11992287]will a 3" body lift on my XJ still keep me LCG???[/QUOTE]
2012 JK 2Dr Crush Orange, 4.56's, 3" on OME frankenlift, 35x12.50x15 MT/R's
Orange Crush Jeep Club Member #55
tankinyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.