Teraflex leveling kit jku - JeepForum.com

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 04-26-2016, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
cody4136
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Teraflex leveling kit jku

Hi all! I put a teraflex leveling kit (spacers 2" front 1" back) on my 16 jku this past weekend and I've already noticed a noise in the front end. It almost sounds like the shocks are fully extending. Something to note is that I bought the spacers from a guy on wrangler forum but he kept the sway bar links so I found a pair of stock rear sway bar links for really cheap on Craigslist so I put them up front. Has any one else experienced this? Any ideas? Thanks for the input!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-26-2016, 11:24 AM
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

Did you get the links tight? if they are loose at the axle end or on the sway bar end you will get a clink as they move around.

I don't think 2" spacers on the road will over extend the stock shocks but I don't know that for certain. It is possible though.

07 JKU Wrangler
10 XK Commander Limited
post #3 of 19 Old 04-26-2016, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
cody4136
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by duneslider View Post
Did you get the links tight? if they are loose at the axle end or on the sway bar end you will get a clink as they move around.

I don't think 2" spacers on the road will over extend the stock shocks but I don't know that for certain. It is possible though.
Thanks for the reply. I'll definitely check the links when I get home.

post #4 of 19 Old 04-28-2016, 12:31 AM
PNW_Ajax

To piggyback on your leveling poat, I just ordered quadratecs leveling kit that does not include longer sway links. Are they something I really should have?

I am going to add the leveling kit at the same time I install a new bumper and winch combo that will drop my front approx 1/2 to 1inch.
post #5 of 19 Old 04-30-2016, 10:39 AM
BroncoNavy
2016 JK Wrangler 

Installed the teraflex leveling kit last month on my 2016 Rubicon. Got about 1 3/4 inch lift in the front that is now down to about 1 1/2 after installing a winch. Don't have any problems with it at this point. Install went pretty good - most difficult part was having to compress the springs to get them back in because of limited lift of the jack stands I was using.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-30-2016, 10:48 AM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
op; Shocks on a jk are what stops the axle on its down travel all. So that is not a issue over over extension since that is the mechanical stop for down. The bump stops are for up travel.

Did you loosen ALL arms bolts/trackbar? Install spacers/springs. then LOWER the jeep back on ground with all arms/trackbar bolts loose, THEN on the ground tighten everything to spec? If you did not do this last step on ground weight on the jeep . You preloaded all the bushings and that can cause wear and other issues on stock rubber bushings. they need to be at zero load. other places for sounds could be even a axle off center front and the shocks if not off set at the bottom mount front can rub the frame at flex, passenger side. But with stock length shocks should should be ok.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 19 Old 05-01-2016, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
cody4136
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
op; Shocks on a jk are what stops the axle on its down travel all. So that is not a issue over over extension since that is the mechanical stop for down. The bump stops are for up travel.

Did you loosen ALL arms bolts/trackbar? Install spacers/springs. then LOWER the jeep back on ground with all arms/trackbar bolts loose, THEN on the ground tighten everything to spec? If you did not do this last step on ground weight on the jeep . You preloaded all the bushings and that can cause wear and other issues on stock rubber bushings. they need to be at zero load. other places for sounds could be even a axle off center front and the shocks if not off set at the bottom mount front can rub the frame at flex, passenger side. But with stock length shocks should should be ok.
I didn't loosen everything and then tighten it back up. I'll try that on Tuesday when I work on it again.
post #8 of 19 Old 05-02-2016, 06:43 PM
JKPKK

Check to see if the spacers have seated themselves all the way in the spring channel. I had to do a little trimming on mine for them to sit in all the way. Also check that the sway bar links are the same size as the kit. If they are to tall they maybe hitting.
post #9 of 19 Old 03-18-2017, 07:35 AM
PSYCH0

2016 JK Wrangler 

For a 2016 Rubicon Unlimited
Are longer shocks needed when installing a Teraflex Spacer Leveling Kit (2" front and 1" rear)?
Teraflex says no.
Garage doing the install says shocks are fully extended when Jeep is on the ground so shocks are needed.

2009 Jeep Wrangler JK, 2-Door, Soft Top, Automatic, Black Procomp Aluminum Wheels with 315x75R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2" Black Diamond Lift, JKS Adjustable Track Bars, Smittybilt Rock Rails
post #10 of 19 Old 03-18-2017, 07:46 AM
jtodaro
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSYCH0 View Post
For a 2016 Rubicon Unlimited
Are longer shocks needed when installing a Teraflex Spacer Leveling Kit (2" front and 1" rear)?
Teraflex says no.
No, longer shocks are not required.

Quote:
Garage doing the install says shocks are fully extended when Jeep is on the ground so shocks are needed.
Take it to another shop because they do not know what they are talking about. That would defy the laws of most factory suspension setups (to only have 2" of travel, now taken up by the spacers) before being fully extended from ride height.

2014 JKU Sport Anvil
post #11 of 19 Old 03-18-2017, 01:45 PM
222Doc
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
asking the same question in two post and then adding to others wont change your answers given. did the shop as well LOOSEN all connections to the axle IE: Control arms and track bar? Then set it on the GROUND to tighten those up? WHEN ever you LIFT. you MUST follow this procedure. Or you will put pre load on the stock rubber bushings that makes them NOT able to return to center. This will wear those out if done WRONG.

THis is why i tend to NEVER use a shop. If you DO you should be SURE they know what the f they are doing or you end up with issues after issue. Then the monkeys will start a wack a mole attempt to make you buy things that are not the issue. This applies to many dealers as well.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

post #12 of 19 Old 03-18-2017, 04:41 PM
PSYCH0

2016 JK Wrangler 

Yeah guess the fact that the Jeep is sitting in the shop for 2 days and now over the weekend... I'm in panic mode trying to get an answer.

They don't want to sell me shocks... as a matter of fact they prefer I order my own. But since everyone is saying they aren't needed I'm perplexed.

They stated that they only addressed the rear and could only get the shock to fit after they put it on the ground and only after some wigglying and working it.

2009 Jeep Wrangler JK, 2-Door, Soft Top, Automatic, Black Procomp Aluminum Wheels with 315x75R16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2" Black Diamond Lift, JKS Adjustable Track Bars, Smittybilt Rock Rails
post #13 of 19 Old 03-20-2017, 12:14 PM
terpsmandan
2009 JK Wrangler 

I did not install shocks when I had the leveling kit installed on my wife's JKUR. No problems at all since.
post #14 of 19 Old 03-20-2017, 01:21 PM
Bill123
2016 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Yeah guess the fact that the Jeep is sitting in the shop for 2 days and now over the weekend... I'm in panic mode trying to get an answer.

They don't want to sell me shocks... as a matter of fact they prefer I order my own. But since everyone is saying they aren't needed I'm perplexed.

They stated that they only addressed the rear and could only get the shock to fit after they put it on the ground and only after some wigglying and working it.
I think the only ones who are really perplexed is your shop. You hired them to do a job, but they obviously can't do it. It's not even that hard, so I don't know what their problem is. I would ask them to put it back to original so you can either take it someplace else, or better yet, do it yourself. It really isn't very difficult.

2016 Wrangler Unlimited
2.5" Teraflex Lift
305/70-17 Toyo Open Country AT2
Fuel Lethal Wheels
post #15 of 19 Old 03-20-2017, 02:48 PM
jtodaro
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
My Teraflex Leveling/Lift kit (the same as yours) was installed in less than 1.5hrs. Your shop is incompetent. They may know how to change oil, but they definitely can't install a lift kid. Print the Teraflex install instructions off and give them to them and tell them they need to finish the job (hopefully you're not paying by the hr).

https://www.quadratec.com/sites/defa...ons/119314.pdf

2014 JKU Sport Anvil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.