Teraflex Leveling Kit Advice? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 06-16-2010, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Grinner
2010 JK Wrangler 

Teraflex Leveling Kit Advice?

I've never installed a lift before, so I'll probably mess up anything that's not explicitly in the instructions. I have a tq wrench, sockets, wrenches, a hydraulic jack, jack stands, and a few friends. Seems like that ought to do it?

The plan is to lift the front 2", the rear 1", install the new teraflex front sway bar links, and install 1.5" spidertrax spacers using my stock wheels and stock-size BFG MT tires. Should bring the Jeep to where I think it should have been from the factory.

Questions:

1) The front is being lifted 2". That should shift the axle to the driver's side a little less than an inch, right? Is that worth correcting, and if so, how? I'm considering a JKS adjustable track bar, but I'm not sure I have the skill to set it correctly, unless someone tells me how. Or maybe it's easy? Just set it about 1/2" longer than the stock one and see how it sits?

2) The rear is only going up 1", so I shouldn't need to correct the rear track bar situation, right? Or if I wanted to, how would I do it inexpensively?

3) Will I be able to have the Jeep aligned properly after I do this?

4) What are the common mistakes when installing a simple lift like this? Is there a good write-up for novices on how to install a budget boost?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-16-2010, 01:30 PM
2009 JK Wrangler 

A reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinner View Post
I've never installed a lift before, so I'll probably mess up anything that's not explicitly in the instructions. I have a tq wrench, sockets, wrenches, a hydraulic jack, jack stands, and a few friends. Seems like that ought to do it?

The plan is to lift the front 2", the rear 1", install the new teraflex front sway bar links, and install 1.5" spidertrax spacers using my stock wheels and stock-size BFG MT tires. Should bring the Jeep to where I think it should have been from the factory.

Questions:

1) The front is being lifted 2". That should shift the axle to the driver's side a little less than an inch, right? Is that worth correcting, and if so, how? I'm considering a JKS adjustable track bar, but I'm not sure I have the skill to set it correctly, unless someone tells me how. Or maybe it's easy? Just set it about 1/2" longer than the stock one and see how it sits?

Not necessary to mess with anything.

2) The rear is only going up 1", so I shouldn't need to correct the rear track bar situation, right? Or if I wanted to, how would I do it inexpensively?

No correction necessary.

3) Will I be able to have the Jeep aligned properly after I do this?

You may need to adjust the position/centering of the steering wheel, which is a pretty simple procedure (tons of stuff in the forum about it), however, this is only for cosmetic reasons and will not affect the alignment of your vehicle, just the centering of the steering wheel.

4) What are the common mistakes when installing a simple lift like this? Is there a good write-up for novices on how to install a budget boost?

Search around on the forum for some tips...It really is pretty straight-forward.

Good luck!

Thanks.

Hope this helps!
post #3 of 16 Old 06-16-2010, 01:51 PM
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

+1 ...I wouldn't mess with track bars or an alignment unless you're having alignment issues. Lots of guys on here running coil lifts that netted close to 3" (maybe more) all the way around and have never touched the track bars and have never had an alignment (including myself). I've got 60,000 miles on a 2dr with OME coils with all stock linkage ... and its been awesome/problem free since day one.

As for write-ups ..its pretty straight forward. Its the same for front and rear.

1.) take off tires
2.) raise Jeep as high as you can and jack stand the frame (I use a 12x12 timber beam and then set the stands on top of that)
3.) put a jack under the axle and raise it till you can tell jack is holding up the axle
4.) disconnect sway bar links at the bottom
5.) disconnect lower shock mounts
6.) unbolt brake line hangars to be safe
7.) lower the jack holding up the axle very slowly
8.) keep an eye on your brake lines and it should drop far enough to where the springs fall out
9.) put in your new springs or spacers on top of your old springs and reinstall them.
Repeat step 1-8 backwards to put it all back together.

'07 JK 2dr Sahara - auto w/ 4.10's and rear locker. 2" OME HD coil lift, BDS shocks, and 1" body-lift. 34" Hankook RT09 MT's on 16" AEV Bridgers. ARB diff covers, Warn bumpers, Warn 9K winch, a couple Hella lights ...and a WORTHLESS AirRaid CAI.

post #4 of 16 Old 06-16-2010, 02:08 PM
ncb

I installed this kit last fall. The front axle shift was very small, around a 1/4. It's hardly noticeable. The rear springs are easier to install with a spring compressor because of the tight fit after installing the spacers. Keep an eye on the abs wiring, brake lines and e-brake cables so you don't damage them while dropping the axle. It's a great kit for the money and gives you exactly two inches up front and one inch on the rear. Torque all of the removed hardware. My steering needed a small adjustment to center the wheel. It doesn't take much adjustment of the drag link. Test drive it check the steering wheel centering and re adjust if necessary. Good luck!
post #5 of 16 Old 06-16-2010, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Grinner
2010 JK Wrangler 

Wow. Thanks! The combination of your responses are truly awesome. I'm going to do it. Seems like a nice satisfying project. I'll keep you posted how it works out. Thanks again!
post #6 of 16 Old 06-16-2010, 08:54 PM
wilywillie
2008 JK Wrangler 

HEADS UP!!!

With the new swaybar links, make CERTAIN that with the top linkage, the bolt threads are facing AWAY from the tires. I tore out 2 sidewalls before I figured out that that was a crappy design on Teraflex's part. (bolts are too long! I had to cut them to make them fit the other way)

I'm happy with the kit, though, and Teraflex has been good to me.

WRONG WAY:
post #7 of 16 Old 06-16-2010, 10:10 PM
Scooter_Trash
2007 JK Wrangler 

Damn. Did yours come with the quick disconnects? Mine didn't.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-16-2010, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Grinner
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the picture. Big help.

Question 1) If I don't plan to disconnect my swaybar, do I have to install the new links?

Question 2) Can I install the new links with the Jeep sitting on the ground?
post #9 of 16 Old 06-16-2010, 10:59 PM
Scooter_Trash
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinner View Post
Thanks for the picture. Big help.

Question 1) If I don't plan to disconnect my swaybar, do I have to install the new links?

Question 2) Can I install the new links with the Jeep sitting on the ground?
Yes and yes.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-17-2010, 02:16 PM
wilywillie
2008 JK Wrangler 

The longer links came with my levelling kit, and even if they aren't necessary, they fit well with the extra 2".
The quick disconnects are Teraflex, too. I got sick of getting wrenches out and crawling under the Jeep every time I went wheeling, so they were a good $50 investment.....
JK Wrangler Quick Disconnect Pin and Bracket Kit | TeraFlex Suspensions

Since the links come with their Levelling kit, there's no need to buy their full disconnect kit. The only difference is that their full kit has zerk fittings on the linkage, and the one with the levelling kit doesn't (at least mine didn't)

Oh, and if you're parked on flat ground, the links can be changed easily. You may have to push up or down on the bumper to get them to line up perfectly.........
post #11 of 16 Old 05-07-2012, 11:08 AM
Kurtz265
2012 JK Wrangler 

I wimped out and had someone local do it- however, I am VERY pleased with the results!
post #12 of 16 Old 06-06-2012, 06:31 PM
Chicofof
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hey everyone... This will be my 1st post... And it's def my 1st jeep.... It an 2008 sahara unlimited 4dr... Just wonderin if I will need to replace the factory shocks with the TF leveling kit??.....if so, what would werk best?....
post #13 of 16 Old 06-07-2012, 01:26 AM
BigOrange
2012 JK Wrangler 

no... you can keep factory shocks
post #14 of 16 Old 06-07-2012, 02:09 AM
KiamichiKrawler
2011 JK Wrangler 

Factory shocks will be fine. It's not enough lift to make a difference.
post #15 of 16 Old 06-07-2012, 05:25 AM
8figgas
2008 JK Wrangler 

Not sure of your springs(Rates), but try to find a set of New Rubi take offs, at least 18/59 Springs and Shocks, while doing the job. well worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicofof View Post
Hey everyone... This will be my 1st post... And it's def my 1st jeep.... It an 2008 sahara unlimited 4dr... Just wonderin if I will need to replace the factory shocks with the TF leveling kit??.....if so, what would werk best?....

Just because you bought every bolt-on accessory available for your jeep, doesn't mean you know WTH your doing or talking about...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.