Teraflex JK HD Hinged Carrier - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Teraflex JK HD Hinged Carrier

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRough Country small builder parts in stock!! Awesome priceANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 01-21-2013, 07:28 PM   #1
pitdad
2011 JK Wrangler 

Teraflex JK HD Hinged Carrier

I bought a Teraflex spare tire extension bracket and light extension bracket two years ago to accomodate a 35" spare using the stock mount. The tire sat just above the stock bumper and I figured since my Jeep is basically a street queen it would be able to handle the extra weight. Wrong!

One year later I had broken welds resulting in rattling and squeaking. I welded the broken areas and that worked for six months until different welds broke.

I couldn't find a bumper that I really liked that would also accomodate the hitch I use to pull my boat and didn't want to give up cargo space to a tire. I haul a lot of cargo and didn't want to deal with opening the tire carrier and door separately.

Today I purchased and installed the Teraflex hinged carrier. I'm still using the stock tire mount and light. This is a really nice unit. There's a really great video from Teraflex on Youtube that I referenced during the installation. This unit installed in about an hour and couldn't be easier.

I went for a test drive down a bumpy dirt road without any noise. Very nice!

I've added a really poor picture but it's the best my Iphone would do tonight.

I'll post an update again after I get a few miles on it.

Rock Star haters - begin bashing now.... : )

Happy Trails

teraflex.jpg  

Last edited by pitdad; 01-21-2013 at 07:40 PM..
pitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Nice purchase , where did you end up buying it from?

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 11:59 PM   #3
mrwhipple
2012 JK Wrangler 

that hinge looks nice. thinking about one myself.
did you have to drill any new holes or does it use existing ones?
Unread 01-22-2013, 07:14 AM   #4
pitdad
2011 JK Wrangler 

Bought it at 4 Wheel Parts. No drilling. The star wrench needed is even included in the kit. Couldn't be easier!
Unread 01-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
KrawlOff-Road
Vendor

2007 JK Wrangler 

Very nice!!!

These are getting more and more popular! We have been doing a ton of them and we have yet to have any negative feedback!

-Jason

Tires-FREE SHIPPING!!
KrawlOff-Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitdad View Post
One year later I had broken welds resulting in rattling and squeaking. I welded the broken areas and that worked for six months until different welds broke.
So did you fix those other welds before putting the carrier on or is the Teraflex carrier maintaining the other broken welds because it is so beefy? I purchased the carrier myself and always wondered if it still had any stress on any part of the tailgate or corners.

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #7
pitdad
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanimal View Post
So did you fix those other welds before putting the carrier on or is the Teraflex carrier maintaining the other broken welds because it is so beefy? I purchased the carrier myself and always wondered if it still had any stress on any part of the tailgate or corners.

I left the welds alone.

The stock configuration puts the weight of the tire directly on the door. Most of the welds that broke were the small spot welds that carried the weight of the stock tire carrier. The welds that support the door hinge assembly appear beefier and held up on my Jeep.

Teraflex says their hinge takes all the tire load off the door and would theoretically work fine without the door. (Youtube promotion video). This means the door only has to support its own weight.

I can tell you in my case any weight bearing welds that were cracked squeaked and rattled so badly I couldn't stand to drive it. It's rock solid and quiet now.

Hope this helps.
Unread 01-22-2013, 11:46 PM   #8
torque77

I just received mine today in the mail......ill be doing a build thread with everything once the weather starts to break.
torque77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
dallasjetfan
2013 JK Wrangler 

This is a great piece that I found a way to screw up. Here is a tip...when you get to pressing in the lug bolts, go ahead and secure the bracket to the tire carrier. Then find a spacer that slides all the way to top of bolt at least that big. I didn't and now I have a lug bolt that has to be cut out. I even had to call TF and get another bolt that will have to be pressed in and welded, but I think I will just spend another $199 to get a whole new adjustable bracket set so I know this is done right. Just a stupid mistake on my part that will cost me some money. Not the first time I have made a mistake that cost me and probably won't be the last. This is a great set-up from what I can tell.
dallasjetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #10
pitdad
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasjetfan View Post
This is a great piece that I found a way to screw up. Here is a tip...when you get to pressing in the lug bolts, go ahead and secure the bracket to the tire carrier. Then find a spacer that slides all the way to top of bolt at least that big. I didn't and now I have a lug bolt that has to be cut out. I even had to call TF and get another bolt that will have to be pressed in and welded, but I think I will just spend another $199 to get a whole new adjustable bracket set so I know this is done right. Just a stupid mistake on my part that will cost me some money. Not the first time I have made a mistake that cost me and probably won't be the last. This is a great set-up from what I can tell.
Sorry to hear that! I reused the stock mount so I missed out on the lug pressing process. Sounds like you have a plan....good luck!
Unread 01-23-2013, 09:57 AM   #11
ncb

Why does the bolt need to be cut out and a new one welded in? It can probably be removed with a press. I'm sure you could find a local shop with a press to help you.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 10:01 AM   #12
dallasjetfan
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb
Why does the bolt need to be cut out and a new one welded in? It can probably be removed with a press. I'm sure you could find a local shop with a press to help you.
Because the lug bolt is just spinning and I can't get the spacer and nut off. Plus either way, if something goes wrong with something I put together and weld it won't be warrantied from TF. Not worth it to me. This will be easier and I know how to get the bolts on now and it was easy. Less hassle this way for me.
dallasjetfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #13
screameans73
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for posting your review and pics I'm curious though, if you don't mind me asking. How much was this carrier? I've been kicking around an aftermarket bumper and tire carrier or somthing similar to what you have installed since I bought my JKU in March. So far I'm leaning towards the Ace Rear bumper since it has a useable reciever, and bolts on with no drilling:

http://www.aceengineeringandfab.com/...rier_p_51.html

Both are very close in price from what I've been finding online.
screameans73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #14
1AAdam
2000 WJ 

good to know those extenders do that sometimes
1AAdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #15
pitdad
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by screameans73 View Post
Thanks for posting your review and pics I'm curious though, if you don't mind me asking. How much was this carrier? I've been kicking around an aftermarket bumper and tire carrier or somthing similar to what you have installed since I bought my JKU in March. So far I'm leaning towards the Ace Rear bumper since it has a useable reciever, and bolts on with no drilling:

http://www.aceengineeringandfab.com/...rier_p_51.html

Both are very close in price from what I've been finding online.
Price = $500 without mount (I reused the stock mount) I think it's about $700 with the TF mount.

If I was wheelin' on weekends I would have probably picked a different solution but my Jeep is a high school commuter for my kid and a bass boat pulling, Home Depot assault vehicle on weekends. This is an elegant solution that maintains the original look and functionality of the vehicle.

Good luck with your selection.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.