Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Teraflex JK HD Hinged Carrier

10K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  SoK66 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought a Teraflex spare tire extension bracket and light extension bracket two years ago to accomodate a 35" spare using the stock mount. The tire sat just above the stock bumper and I figured since my Jeep is basically a street queen it would be able to handle the extra weight. Wrong!

One year later I had broken welds resulting in rattling and squeaking. I welded the broken areas and that worked for six months until different welds broke.

I couldn't find a bumper that I really liked that would also accomodate the hitch I use to pull my boat and didn't want to give up cargo space to a tire. I haul a lot of cargo and didn't want to deal with opening the tire carrier and door separately.

Today I purchased and installed the Teraflex hinged carrier. I'm still using the stock tire mount and light. This is a really nice unit. There's a really great video from Teraflex on Youtube that I referenced during the installation. This unit installed in about an hour and couldn't be easier.

I went for a test drive down a bumpy dirt road without any noise. Very nice!

I've added a really poor picture but it's the best my Iphone would do tonight.

I'll post an update again after I get a few miles on it.

Rock Star haters - begin bashing now.... : )

Happy Trails

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
One year later I had broken welds resulting in rattling and squeaking. I welded the broken areas and that worked for six months until different welds broke.
So did you fix those other welds before putting the carrier on or is the Teraflex carrier maintaining the other broken welds because it is so beefy? I purchased the carrier myself and always wondered if it still had any stress on any part of the tailgate or corners.

#7 ·
I left the welds alone.

The stock configuration puts the weight of the tire directly on the door. Most of the welds that broke were the small spot welds that carried the weight of the stock tire carrier. The welds that support the door hinge assembly appear beefier and held up on my Jeep.

Teraflex says their hinge takes all the tire load off the door and would theoretically work fine without the door. (Youtube promotion video). This means the door only has to support its own weight.

I can tell you in my case any weight bearing welds that were cracked squeaked and rattled so badly I couldn't stand to drive it. It's rock solid and quiet now.

Hope this helps.

#9 ·
This is a great piece that I found a way to screw up. Here is a tip...when you get to pressing in the lug bolts, go ahead and secure the bracket to the tire carrier. Then find a spacer that slides all the way to top of bolt at least that big. I didn't and now I have a lug bolt that has to be cut out. I even had to call TF and get another bolt that will have to be pressed in and welded, but I think I will just spend another $199 to get a whole new adjustable bracket set so I know this is done right. Just a stupid mistake on my part that will cost me some money. Not the first time I have made a mistake that cost me and probably won't be the last. This is a great set-up from what I can tell.

#12 ·
ncb said:
Why does the bolt need to be cut out and a new one welded in? It can probably be removed with a press. I'm sure you could find a local shop with a press to help you.
Because the lug bolt is just spinning and I can't get the spacer and nut off. Plus either way, if something goes wrong with something I put together and weld it won't be warrantied from TF. Not worth it to me. This will be easier and I know how to get the bolts on now and it was easy. Less hassle this way for me.

#13 ·
Thanks for posting your review and pics :) I'm curious though, if you don't mind me asking. How much was this carrier? I've been kicking around an aftermarket bumper and tire carrier or somthing similar to what you have installed since I bought my JKU in March. So far I'm leaning towards the Ace Rear bumper since it has a useable reciever, and bolts on with no drilling:

http://www.aceengineeringandfab.com/ACE-JK-Rear-Bumper-with-Tire-Carrier_p_51.html

Both are very close in price from what I've been finding online.

#15 ·
Price = $500 without mount (I reused the stock mount) I think it's about $700 with the TF mount.

If I was wheelin' on weekends I would have probably picked a different solution but my Jeep is a high school commuter for my kid and a bass boat pulling, Home Depot assault vehicle on weekends. This is an elegant solution that maintains the original look and functionality of the vehicle.

Good luck with your selection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.