Teraflex HD Tailgate Hinge - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Teraflex HD Tailgate Hinge

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueSteering and more from Ruffstuff!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #46
rha600
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have the AEV wheels that say 5.2" of backspacing.

Butto be honest, as much as I really like this, if I have to spend $700 I probably would just go with the AEV tire carrier on the stock bumper and then eventually get their bumper as well.

rha600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #47
brighton
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rha600 View Post
Does anyone know if you can use the stock carrier with the Teraflex hinge and a 35" (315/70) tire?

On the video they say up to a 33" but if the 35" works with the stock carrier now I can't see why it wouldn't work with it and the new hinge. If the width of the tire is more I can see it would probably hit the hinge since it's much thicker, but I have to agree with Capper to a point and I just don't see that tire carrier piece being worth the extra $200.

Plus it then add more complexity to changing your tire since you need to remove the 3rd brake like to get the tire off. They should have just made it to mount behind the wheel as an option.
I'm using the stock tire mount with the TF hinge with my 35" MT/Rs. The spare just fits with the stock bumper and 3rd tail light. I'll eventually add the TF adjustable tire mount but it was a little easier paying $500 for just the hinge, and then adding the tire mount later. My wheel has 4.5" backspacing so I use a Daystar tailgate bump stop since the wheel sits a little further out from the tailgate.

I do think the TF tire mount is probably stronger than the stock tire mount but I've wheeled with this for about 6 months without a problem. With the TF tire mount, it can also be adjusted to allow the spare to sit closer to the tailgate and snug up against the hinge which should make it a little sturdier also.

Last edited by brighton; 07-04-2013 at 03:34 PM..
brighton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 06:58 PM   #48
rha600
2013 JK Wrangler 

I can't quite figure out why it wouldn't fit, looking at my spare on the Jeep as it is now I have just over an inch of space between the back of the tire and the stock hinge covers. I know the TF hinge is slightly thicker but I don't see why it wouldn't fit as everything else remains the same, correct?

Everyone says the weak spot is the hinge so I assume the stock carrier itself can handle a 35 with no problem.
Unread 07-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #49
brighton
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I can't quite figure out why it wouldn't fit, looking at my spare on the Jeep as it is now I have just over an inch of space between the back of the tire and the stock hinge covers. I know the TF hinge is slightly thicker but I don't see why it wouldn't fit as everything else remains the same, correct?

Everyone says the weak spot is the hinge so I assume the stock carrier itself can handle a 35 with no problem.
I think your spare should be fine with TF hinge.
Unread 07-05-2013, 05:31 AM   #50
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

My 35" km2s on AEV wheels didn't clear on the stock bracket. I bought the teraflex spare tire relocation bracket (just the adapter) and it moved the tire up, but also out almost 3". I called them and they also had a flat bracket that moved the tire up a few inches, but not out. I've been running that for 14k miles without a problem.

As for the brake light, I cut the mount off. I bought strips of aluminum at Home Depot and made my own cheesy bracket.

Here's my cheesy brake light mount. That was the old teraflex bracket so ignore that.

brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 07:16 AM   #51
rha600
2013 JK Wrangler 

Brian, you might call it cheesy but I like that bracket! that looks really good. It's perfect from the outside and really I don't see anything wrong with it looking from the inside either. Nice job.
Unread 07-05-2013, 02:27 PM   #52
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Brian, you might call it cheesy but I like that bracket! that looks really good. It's perfect from the outside and really I don't see anything wrong with it looking from the inside either. Nice job.
Agreed. Pull it off and hit it with some black enamel. Also cut the rest of that bracket flush and hit the unfinished area with black enamel.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2013, 04:21 PM   #53
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin

Agreed. Pull it off and hit it with some black enamel. Also cut the rest of that bracket flush and hit the unfinished area with black enamel.
Yeah, eventually. Been busy using the jeep and maintaining it. At some point I'll file down the edges and paint it to make it look nice. For now it's out of sight and it works.
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #54
rha600
2013 JK Wrangler 

It's probably not nearly strong enough, but I'm going to ask anyway. The two holes on what's left of the original 3rd brake light mount (towards the top), is that strong enough to mount something like a hi lift to?
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #55
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rha600
It's probably not nearly strong enough, but I'm going to ask anyway. The two holes on what's left of the original 3rd brake light mount (towards the top), is that strong enough to mount something like a hi lift to?
No.
Unread 12-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #56
nwAdamR
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
My 35" km2s on AEV wheels didn't clear on the stock bracket. I bought the teraflex spare tire relocation bracket (just the adapter) and it moved the tire up, but also out almost 3". I called them and they also had a flat bracket that moved the tire up a few inches, but not out. I've been running that for 14k miles without a problem.

As for the brake light, I cut the mount off. I bought strips of aluminum at Home Depot and made my own cheesy bracket.

Here's my cheesy brake light mount. That was the old teraflex bracket so ignore that.
Brian, I totally stole your bracket idea. I hope you don't mind. Thanks for the inspiration. Works PERFECT!

I already had the Teraflex 3rd Brake Light Adjustable Extension Bracket, but they didn't design it to work with the Teraflex HD Hinged Carrier. Go figure. Thats good though... I never liked the brake light blocking the remaining view above the spare through the rear window.

Thanks again!
nwAdamR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #57
ncb

How far does that wheel sit back mounted with that set up?
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 11:04 AM   #58
nwAdamR
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
How far does that wheel sit back mounted with that set up?
If I understand your question, the distance between the tire and the Teraflex carrier is 4". Between the tire and rear gate is 5.5". (They're 35" tires.) Hope that answers your question.

The new light bracket has been on for a week now and it works perfect.
nwAdamR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #59
zjilla
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVCapo View Post
As opposed to any number of rear bumper/tire carrier/hitch options in the same price range (~$150). The TF setup is nice, but overpriced IMO.
X2

Sent from my GT-N7000 using JeepForum
www.annirlane.blogspot.com
October 2013 JK of the month
My Slowly but surely JK build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...hread-1562595/
zjilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.