Teraflex HD Tailgate Hinge - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Teraflex HD Tailgate Hinge

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 06-15-2013, 08:05 AM   #31
taoshum
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper5016 View Post
Smittybilt and Bestop also have recent entries into this market that seem to be well reviewed..

pics, anyone?

Unread 06-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #32
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
TF makes great quality products and have a fantastic reputation in the industry.

This system is pricey, but it is a great alternative for those that don't want a 200lb rear bumper (some people care about fuel efficiency and simply don't need a bunch of armor or heavy bumper), yet want to use oversized tires ....the weight of which can warp the tailgate or even break the stock tire carrier. Smittybilt and Bestop also have recent entries into this market that seem to be well reviewed..cheaper, but just don't seem as nice as the TF entry.

It's just my opinion that it's overpriced considering what it is, and for slightly more you can get a high quality full bumper/tire carrier/hitch setup from Smittybilt, ACE Engineering, JCR Offroad, Warn, etc.
IMHO, The price for the full Tereflex system is comparable to the other high end tire carriers. For the price, you can get a full bumper/tire carrier solution, but they eventually rattle. Also one handed tail gate opening is a great plus. Many newer carrier options have gone this route, but the decent ones will still cost close to 600 bucks.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 11:41 AM   #33
LVCapo
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by taoshum View Post
pics, anyone?
Smittybilt

Bestop
LVCapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 11:43 AM   #34
LVCapo
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
IMHO, The price for the full Tereflex system is comparable to the other high end tire carriers. For the price, you can get a full bumper/tire carrier solution, but they eventually rattle. Also one handed tail gate opening is a great plus. Many newer carrier options have gone this route, but the decent ones will still cost close to 600 bucks.
i think the Ace and JCR have one hand operation, which is a great point and a really nice feature. As to rattle....if you are worried about rattles, a Jeep may not be your ideal vehicle.
Unread 06-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #35
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
i think the Ace and JCR have one hand operation, which is a great point and a really nice feature. As to rattle....if you are worried about rattles, a Jeep may not be your ideal vehicle.
I understand the joke, but there are so many options out there that don't rattle, why drop 200 bucks on on the will rattle when you can buy quality on one that doesn't?
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #36
LVCapo
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin View Post
I understand the joke, but there are so many options out there that don't rattle, why drop 200 bucks on on the will rattle when you can buy quality on one that doesn't?
If you are lucky, the rattle may even cancel out the engine tick

I kid, I kid.....I agree with you completely....I do like the Tf, and the versatility it provides...I just dont like the price.
Unread 06-15-2013, 07:58 PM   #37
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
...I do like the Tf, and the versatility it provides...I just dont like the price.
Talking about price, I bought the AEV rear bumper and then the tire carrier separately and actually lost sleep over the horrendous money I had just spent. I thought it would haunt me for life. Well after I got it all mounted and whatnot those awful feelings about the money went away in short order. Quality and function will win in the end and the money woes will soon be forgotten.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 09:32 PM   #38
Walle
Soccer Mom and Jeep Hater

2012 JK Wrangler 

Here's the TF in action today. Carrying a steel 17" wheel wrapped in a 37" Cooper Discoverer STT along with my HiLift mounted as well. This thing is awesome and worth the money.

It only weighs 46 lbs versus my 200 and some odd pound Ace rear bumper tire carrier. That's without the tire. It tucks up real nice and no rattling!
image-2516737361.jpg   image-25540383.jpg   image-2161131577.jpg  
Walle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #39
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walle View Post
Here's the TF in action today. Carrying a steel 17" wheel wrapped in a 37" Cooper Discoverer STT along with my HiLift mounted as well. This thing is awesome and worth the money...
Damm thatís one big *** tire. If it will hold up to that then itís got to be one tuff product. Have to ask; is it a two man job mounting that size of tire to the rack? Iím getting older now and my 35s are a major pain (literally) to lift.
Unread 06-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #40
Walle
Soccer Mom and Jeep Hater

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Damm thatís one big *** tire. If it will hold up to that then itís got to be one tuff product. Have to ask; is it a two man job mounting that size of tire to the rack? Iím getting older now and my 35s are a major pain (literally) to lift.
I can change it myself, but that thing weighs over 100lbs. I shredded a tire today, and my buddy helped me change the tires. It was not a good day for my jeep today. My wheels have 3.5" of BS, so it sticks really close, which I really like. The tailgate actually swings easier and smoother with the TF mount than stock without a tire or my Ace carrier. I like the accessory mount too. I can mount a HiLift, Rotopax, and my CB antenna on it. No rattling so far.
Walle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2013, 01:51 AM   #41
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

When TeraFlex first came out with that rack I had my doubts about it and the price seamed way out of line too. Since then I have had a change of mind as I keep hearing only good things about it.
Unread 07-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #42
rha600
2013 JK Wrangler 

Does anyone know if you can use the stock carrier with the Teraflex hinge and a 35" (315/70) tire?

On the video they say up to a 33" but if the 35" works with the stock carrier now I can't see why it wouldn't work with it and the new hinge. If the width of the tire is more I can see it would probably hit the hinge since it's much thicker, but I have to agree with Capper to a point and I just don't see that tire carrier piece being worth the extra $200.

Plus it then add more complexity to changing your tire since you need to remove the 3rd brake like to get the tire off. They should have just made it to mount behind the wheel as an option.
rha600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #43
jfive
dos heeps

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rha600 View Post
Does anyone know if you can use the stock carrier with the Teraflex hinge and a 35" (315/70) tire?
It depends on your rim offset and bumper clearance. Mine didn't. But you can do the hinge and then go back for the carrier.
'88 YJ
jfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 08:14 AM   #44
ICT-JK

Crazy!!!!! I was gonna start a thread this morning asking who has the best price on these, looks like I woke up a few weeks late thanks for the help guys
ICT-JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2013, 08:25 AM   #45
ICT-JK

Looked at the few vendors websites that replied at the beginning of this thread(krawl, extreme and jeep add on) 2 are priced the same and one doesn't even have teraflex on their list products sold, so do I need to call each of them and see who gives the best price over the phone???
ICT-JK is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.