post #1 of Old 02-12-2016, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Jodyblip
2012 JK Wrangler 

teraflex exhaust spacer install

JESUS CHRIST!!!!! nothing to do with teraflex or their parts but this stuff is meant to be done on a brand new jeep my 2012 has a little rust on some stuff under 2 of the 4 factory exhaust bolts broke off trying to losen them had to get vice grips and spin the threaded stud out like 1/5th turn at a time then take off vice grips and reapply. Went to losen the exhaust clamp by the Y together section.... YEAH RIGHT!!! you cant get anything in there too it to get leverage. Cut the clamp off with grinding wheel. chisled the little rivet thingie off so the pipe will slide into the other pipe to make room for added length from spacers... YEAH RIGHT that whole chunk is like fused together lol. Put the new extra long bolts from teraflex back into exhaust without the spacers (ran out of time have to work tomorrow) and spent like an hour 1/5th a turn at a time tightening up the new bolts that are about twice as long as hard to turn the whole time lol. Needless to say im disgusted I spent about 6 hours today and didn't get it done. Gonna try again on hot exhaust system maybe tomorrow after work. Super tired and super ill. I hope this is isolated and nobody else has to deal with this crap when they do it. end rant :P

post #2 of Old 02-12-2016, 03:14 PM
motoguy1251
2012 JK Wrangler 

When I did the lift on my 12 it had already been through 2 Michigan winters. The exhaust spacer kit took longer to do than one axle of the lift.
post #3 of Old 02-12-2016, 04:26 PM
14Sport
JY YJ

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodyblip View Post
JESUS CHRIST!!!!! nothing to do with teraflex or their parts but this stuff is meant to be done on a brand new jeep my 2012 has a little rust on some stuff under 2 of the 4 factory exhaust bolts broke off trying to losen them had to get vice grips and spin the threaded stud out like 1/5th turn at a time then take off vice grips and reapply. Went to losen the exhaust clamp by the Y together section.... YEAH RIGHT!!! you cant get anything in there too it to get leverage. Cut the clamp off with grinding wheel. chisled the little rivet thingie off so the pipe will slide into the other pipe to make room for added length from spacers... YEAH RIGHT that whole chunk is like fused together lol. Put the new extra long bolts from teraflex back into exhaust without the spacers (ran out of time have to work tomorrow) and spent like an hour 1/5th a turn at a time tightening up the new bolts that are about twice as long as hard to turn the whole time lol. Needless to say im disgusted I spent about 6 hours today and didn't get it done. Gonna try again on hot exhaust system maybe tomorrow after work. Super tired and super ill. I hope this is isolated and nobody else has to deal with this crap when they do it. end rant :P
Haha...that sounds like a bad day right there. After you get it all apart, I suggest you use anti-seize during re-assembly. Doesn't help with clearance issues though. But you, or the next guy, will appreciate it at some point.

1995 JY YJ
2014 JK, MC GCL 2.5", 35x12.5x17, 4.56s.

My observations are based on my experiences...YMMV.