Teraflex Budget Boost - No Space Between Front Bumpstops??? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Teraflex Budget Boost - No Space Between Front Bumpstops???

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 10-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #16
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_HEMIHead View Post
What if I just remove the extended bumpstop provided by Teraflex and reinstall the factory one back in it's original location. That should give me extra space, but will it cause problems when flexing?

You'll need to consider the compressed shock length before removing the Teraflex extended bump stop. If you bought it in a complete kit, the shocks may have a compressed length that takes the increased bump stop into consideration.

As far as "flexing", you are quiet away off from having an ideal suspension setup as it is. Spacers do nothing to increase suspension travel and bump stops decrease the amount of flex. I would look into replacing the factory coils and Teraflex spacer with a good 2.5" lift coil spring.

2001 Dodge Ram 2500
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #17
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

What are your coil spring part numbers front and rear?
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 10-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #18
SoCal_HEMIHead
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'll have to look them up when I get home. I just bought and installed this kit, so I would hate to go and replace the front end now.
SoCal_HEMIHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2013, 01:15 PM   #19
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I can see all but the last 2 numbers (the ones we need) in your one picture. The coil number may help in understanding why it is sagging so much.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 10-07-2013, 09:49 PM   #20
SoCal_HEMIHead
2008 JK Wrangler 

Photos showing the spring coil extension installed.

Notice how my sway bar points upward (not level) - Is this normal?

Spring part numbers.

Unread 10-07-2013, 11:39 PM   #21
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

15 and 16 front coils on a 4 door hard top Rubicon are very soft coils. My 2 door base model soft top had 13's and my 4 door Base model with a soft top had 16's on both sides. I would expect you to have 18's and at very least, 17's. Makes me wonder if someone didn't swap them out on you before you got it.

Your JK wouldn't have had too much compression to start with being a 4 door with hard top and only 15/16 front coils. Add the weight of the front bumper and a 2.75" bump stop on only a 2.5" spacer lift would explain alot of it.
2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Unread 10-08-2013, 05:50 AM   #22
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well this is all a great review of why you shouldn't use a spacer kit to correct for heavy bumpers and stuff! Progressive coils really are the way to go for more weight. I'd rather spend a few more bucks and get the aev springs, shocks, bumpstops, rear track bar tower, brake line brackets etc.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 07:28 AM   #23
SoCal_HEMIHead
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hindsight is always 20/20. If I would have known I had bad springs, I would have bought a spring kit. So what do I need to buy? New OEM springs? New progressive springs? Can I use the Teraflex parts I have (spacers), or should I remove them and just install larger springs?
Unread 10-08-2013, 07:42 AM   #24
ncb

Swap the spacers for a set of 2.5" springs. The TF BB is better for a light rig.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #25
SoCal_HEMIHead
2008 JK Wrangler 

I suppose that means I should swap shocks at the same time? I currently have the Teraflex extenders on the top of my stock shocks. Recommendations on what springs/shocks to buy?
Unread 10-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #26
tonka_yellow

Quote:
Photos showing the spring coil extension installed.

Notice how my sway bar points upward (not level) - Is this normal?

Spring part numbers.

in the very first picture the bump stop is not fully seated. if the coil spring or Spacer was not seated the jeep would sit higher (the gap between the bump stop and axle would be greater). take a picture of the bump stops on each side and post them.

after looking at pictures of the install guide. the statement i said before is wrong... maybe. double check and make sure the bump stop is fully seated
tonka_yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 11:03 AM   #27
COLOUXJ
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
What if I just remove the extended bumpstop provided by Teraflex and reinstall the factory one back in it's original location. That should give me extra space, but will it cause problems when flexing?
Yes it could, if you remove them and over compress the springs then you could damage them.

If you are running a full steel front bumper then the picture makes sense. that is a lot of weight on the front of the Jeep. Stock there is only about 3-4" of uptravel. Add 150+ pounds on the front and you will make that number even smaller.
Mechanical Engineers Build weapons Civil Engineers build targets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberpyrot View Post
is it a plink plink kerrrrdunk? or more of a brrrrrconk doc doc miiiidge pang!!!? or is it a badonk ka donk? if it is the latter its just the normal fat *** of the JK

COLOUXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 12:08 PM   #28
JTPhoto
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yes, go right to a 2.5" spring. The weight is too much for factory springs. The shock extensions will be fine with the longer spring for now. I just swapped out for Rancho RS9000xl shocks and love them.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 12:11 PM   #29
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have a set of front teraflex 2.5" springs on the shelf in the garage if you are interested. I ran them for a couple months and they netted me almost exactly 2.75" of lift on my jku.

PM me if you are interested.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #30
SoCal_HEMIHead
2008 JK Wrangler 

More photos.

Drivers side. Is my Teraflex extended bumpstop fully seated???

Another view of driver side.

Passenger side. Mind you there is more space between the bumpstop and axle because the Jeep is not sitting on level ground. About a 3% grade from side to side.

Another view of passenger side.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.