JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Teraflex 2.5 or 3 inch for 35's? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/teraflex-2-5-3-inch-35s-1823946/)

SierraNovember 11-24-2013 02:17 PM

Teraflex 2.5 or 3 inch for 35's?

I'm debating between the two kits. Are there any huge differences for the 3 inch lift as far as relocation of certain components or brake lines or other things on a 2010 JKUR? If the 3 inch involves the purchase of more parts then I guess the 2.5 is good to go. I am 6'5 and like a three inch better but this is my first lift. So before I pull the trigger I would like any opinions from forum experts or people with experience. Thanks in advance! Going with 35 inch duratracs or pro comp xtreme all terrains.

wilgeno 11-24-2013 02:32 PM

My Teraflex 2.5" gave me close to 3" when done and that is before upgrading the tires. 35 inch tires will work fine on a 2.5 inch lift so I'm told.

Vin 11-24-2013 05:55 PM

What type of offroading are you looking to do? If you are looking to crawl, the 3 inch lift may be a better start off point. With either the 2.5 or 3 inch lift, down the line you'll want/need to change out the driveshafts, and control arms for better driveability. For myself, I was looking at more of an overlander rig, so I went with the 2.5 inch lift since I didn't need as much flex as a crawler would.

SierraNovember 11-24-2013 06:14 PM

Thanks for the responses. I live in South Carolina. So crawling will be at a minimum compared to other states with actual mountains. The occasional trip to the smokies will occur but not every weekend. I also drive on the beach but so do low rider trucks on the right day. Soooo. If I go with the 3 inch as a starter I should not have to add on other hidden costs in the beginning as far as install? Thanks again.

jwmbishop 11-25-2013 10:42 AM

I went with the 2.5 terraflex spring/shock kit, then added a .75 puck over the springs for a total of 3.25 (actual close to 3.5). So far everything is handled quite well. I know I will have driveshaft wear (which on the four door at 2.5 - 3.0 is not really a problem - but the two door does wear the shaft pretty fast at 2.5 I've been told). My caster is a little on the light side - but as long as I am not all the way to the steer stops it self centers well. I haven't really wanted to put the adjustable control arm on it - when I replace the front axle (of course AFTER I break it - lol) I will set it all up then.

I do a lot of rock crawling so also added armor underneath. Yes I end up turtling a lot and the grind on the armor can be nerve wracking - but Its always gone where Ive asked it to go!

ROCKR8R 11-25-2013 11:18 AM

I did something similar to jwmbishop. I started with a 2.5" Teraflex lift complete with adjustable front track bar, brake lines, front disconnects and rear track bar tower. I threw in a .75" spacer and gained 3.5". I then added adjustable control arms and Adam's Driveshafts. I go overkill on everything. Whichever one you go with do it right. Don't settle cause something is cheaper. If you want 3" get it but budget for a driveshaft(s), control arms and/or brake lines or brackets. You will be happier.

-Dan

SierraNovember 11-25-2013 08:21 PM

Thanks everyone. I decided to buy once cry once and get the AEV 2.5 incher with the blistein shocks and steering stabilizer. I figure that is a good start.

skates04 11-25-2013 08:43 PM

Good choice... 2.5 is perfect for 35s. I am running the 2.5 teraflex budget boost with 35s I wouldn't want any higher.

Tragyn 11-25-2013 09:04 PM

My 2.5RK lift gave me about 3.25".

ROCKR8R 11-26-2013 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SierraNovember (Post 18018146)
Thanks everyone. I decided to buy once cry once and get the AEV 2.5 incher with the blistein shocks and steering stabilizer. I figure that is a good start.

If you ever want to grow from that AEV you will be buying twice. Sorry.

-Dan

brianjw 11-26-2013 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROCKR8R

If you ever want to grow from that AEV you will be buying twice. Sorry.

-Dan

It's what, $800? He keeps the springs, shocks, brake line brackets, bump stop extensions that are all part of it. What is he buying twice?
He can upgrade control arms, steering components etc and not buy anything twice.

ROCKR8R 11-26-2013 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianjw (Post 18031106)
It's what, $800? He keeps the springs, shocks, brake line brackets, bump stop extensions that are all part of it. What is he buying twice?
He can upgrade control arms, steering components etc and not buy anything twice.

No, your right. The 2.5" is the only thing that AEV got right IMO (well their ProCal is a good tool). Not a bad kit and price. Their 3.5 and 4.5 on the other hand :rolleyes:

Just giving a hard time.

-Dan

SierraNovember 11-26-2013 11:09 AM

I do not plan on needing anything else in the near future. This Jeep is a beach vehicle driven on the beaches for fishing and in the SC and NC mountains for hunting. So no flexing or crawling unless a huge earthquake occurs sprouting new rock formations in the low country of SC! In all seriousness though, I got my 2010 JKUR with 70,000 Hwy miles and it needed new shocks anyways, so I figured the Blisteins were a bit better than the TF's. So I went with this setup for a few dollars more. Thanks again for the help.

brianjw 11-26-2013 11:10 AM

That's why I recommend the 2.5" more lately.

A lot of people love their 3.5 and 4.5" AEV lifts, but I use mine hard and blew through every component in the front end in a few thousand miles. One at a time, one after another. Tie rod, drag link, track bar, etc.
Once I replaced the suspension bolts, ball joints, tie rod, track bar (with track bar/sector shaft brace), drag link I finally love the way it drives. The front track bar bracket is fine although I welded mine on. The rear is good and strong, though the rear track bar itself is soft and springy like the crappy stock part. When I hit odd bumps and dips I feel the rear wander around and it drives me nuts. Once you have a few solid components you really start to feel the weak ones.
So I ordered a new synergy rear track bar for mine but I'm not sure it's going to work with the AEV bracket since the hole is raised 7". I'll likely have to either replace the bracket (and use one with less roll center correction) or modify the exhaust. Either that or run taller rear springs or spacers (I have a lot of weight on the back), raise the lower shock mounts and run taller bump stops. Aaand now I'm rambling.....

I do wish AEV would sell individual components on their website though.

SierraNovember 11-26-2013 11:19 AM

That is weird. What if a part goes bad, do you call them direct and request it that way or can you never get one part again? Hahaha.

The time now is 02:43 AM.