Tanimal's 2008 2D JK Build Thread - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Tanimal's 2008 2D JK Build Thread

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 12-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #61
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbuddha View Post
I know exactly how you feel, I did the same thing in opposite order. Got my RR snorkel done, still haven't gotten around to any of my breathers LOL. And here I sit with a couple days off but **** man its freezing outside One day though!!!!
When you installed the RR snorkel did you have any concerns of any of the seals failing? There's just a lot of connections that concern me and I will use a ton of RTV and there's one mod I'm glad was done....

Garage heater installed

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #62
Butterbuddha
Fix it till its Broke!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Awesome LOL There are a lot of connections indeed, but only a couple you really need to focus on--the holes in the airbox. Of course you want to pay attention and do your best the whole install, but the system is designated to drain any water back out the bottom of the fender. (And as you know, has a drain valve for that purpose) You really don't water penetrating the airbox though, that is way too close for comfort as far as sucking water into the intake.

Remember, unless you are doing some serious underhood mods to waterproof all your electronics etc your snorkel is only providing you with reasonable SPLASH protection. Hit that mud hole with authority, not driving through the mighty mississip.

Make sure your box itself is nice and watertight, and don't muck up your cut on your fender. Everything else will take care of itself
Unread 12-31-2012, 05:28 PM   #63
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Awesome LOL There are a lot of connections indeed, but only a couple you really need to focus on--the holes in the airbox. Of course you want to pay attention and do your best the whole install, but the system is designated to drain any water back out the bottom of the fender. (And as you know, has a drain valve for that purpose) You really don't water penetrating the airbox though, that is way too close for comfort as far as sucking water into the intake.

Remember, unless you are doing some serious underhood mods to waterproof all your electronics etc your snorkel is only providing you with reasonable SPLASH protection. Hit that mud hole with authority, not driving through the mighty mississip.

Make sure your box itself is nice and watertight, and don't muck up your cut on your fender. Everything else will take care of itself
Just read through all the instructions and it seems pretty straight forward. I'll def take my time. I'm buying it for cheap insurance and to increase MPGs around town. Figured it's better to suck the air from outside the hood than the hot air under the hood.

Unread 12-31-2012, 07:18 PM   #64
Butterbuddha
Fix it till its Broke!

2010 JK Wrangler 

LOL Won't you be disappointed to find the air flows through a metal tube directly beside your exhaust manifold/headers. I got some heat wrap tape and wrapped up as much as I could. (Upon inspection you will find the metal portion of the tubing DOES have a heat shield welded onto it) Even wrapped in the tape I dunno how cool the air is by the time it gets in the engine. I didn't notice any mpg gains--but I wont hesitate to hit a water hole
Unread 12-31-2012, 07:40 PM   #65
DAYJ
2013 JK Wrangler 

Best mod ever today!

Utah Jeep Crew Member #47
Cheyenne Trail Junkie

ROADS!? Where we're going, we don't need roads... (Doc)
DAYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 03:46 AM   #66
torque77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanimal
My wheel finally came so I went and got it mounted and balanced. Slapped it on and it fits like a glove! Also you can still see my 3rd brake light. Here's some pictures and also note my driveway is on a slight upward incline. Enjoy

Side view of how close it sits to the tailgate:

Gate open...this thing is solid:

I still live pretty close to Chicago so I not only have Gorilla locks but now this added safety feature:

Side view:
Did you have to extend the factory bump stops on the carrier to fit the km2???
torque77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #67
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAYJ View Post
Best mod ever today!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque77 View Post
Did you have to extend the factory bump stops on the carrier to fit the km2???
I'm not running any bump stops. No rattle or squeaking either If I remember correctly it completely eliminates the bump stop on the passenger side. I guess if you wanted to extend the one on the drivers side you could but I didn't see the point without squeaks or rattle.

Unread 01-02-2013, 09:25 PM   #68
broc-for-now

Nice ride
broc-for-now is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2013, 09:37 PM   #69
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by broc-for-now View Post
Nice ride
Thanks man! You're close to me too!

Unread 01-03-2013, 05:35 AM   #70
broc-for-now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanimal View Post
Thanks man! You're close to me too!
Yep, no jeep tho .running a old bronco now ..jeep will be soon .
I like how yours came out im tring to decide if I need to spend the cash up front on a Rubicon or do like you did..
broc-for-now is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2013, 05:20 PM   #71
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Finally got around to installing my Superchips today. It was fairly simple but it's very cold out so it seemed like the minutes it took to install were hours.

I am running the 87 tune, got my tire size corrected and now the speedometer is actually right(tested it on one of those GPS apps on the phone with the MPH listed and it's dead on.), and disabled the TPMS. I immediately noticed the Jeep seems to have more jump right from the start and it seems like pushing the pedal down has less lag. Didn't get to take it on the highway yet but I just put a full tank of gas in so I guess we will actually see what it does overtime I understand this mod is very controversial but I figured I'd give it a shot. I'll try to remember to post back my findings.

Unread 01-04-2013, 05:26 PM   #72
Butterbuddha
Fix it till its Broke!

2010 JK Wrangler 

What did you have to set your tire size at? My 35" MTRs @ 30 psi required a Superchips tire setting of 33.25! (Accurate within a mile or two @ 70mph)

Superchips also does a number on the ****ty jeep drive by wire system, killing the lag.

Either way DON'T FORGET to reset it back to stock before taking it to the dealer! If they flash your computer you are locked out of your Superchips, requiring a $150 download to unlock! (Ask me how I know lol)
Unread 01-04-2013, 05:42 PM   #73
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
What did you have to set your tire size at? My 35" MTRs @ 30 psi required a Superchips tire setting of 33.25! (Accurate within a mile or two @ 70mph)

Superchips also does a number on the ****ty jeep drive by wire system, killing the lag.

Either way DON'T FORGET to reset it back to stock before taking it to the dealer! If they flash your computer you are locked out of your Superchips, requiring a $150 download to unlock! (Ask me how I know lol)
35" KM2s set at 33" and yeah that's prob why I noticed the jump right from the start. Thanks for the tip with the dealer but I hope to never have to take it to them. By the way I went out and bought the T30, T40, and some superglue for the snorkel. Hopefully installed in the next couple days but we'll see.

Unread 01-04-2013, 06:18 PM   #74
Butterbuddha
Fix it till its Broke!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanimal View Post
35" KM2s set at 33" and yeah that's prob why I noticed the jump right from the start. Thanks for the tip with the dealer but I hope to never have to take it to them. By the way I went out and bought the T30, T40, and some superglue for the snorkel. Hopefully installed in the next couple days but we'll see.
Cool man just take your time and you will be fine. Oh be careful trying to remove the airbox clips from the old top to the new top. They are irritatingly fragile like and (as it goes without saying) you need them all to maintain a nice tight fit!

Don't forget to post a pic when you git er done!
Unread 01-07-2013, 05:57 PM   #75
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Finally got around to installing my Rugged Ridge snorkel today. I'll have more pictures tomorrow and more to type up so here is a teaser shot for you all:

Tags
monstaliner , poison spyder , rock krawler , rugged ridge snorkel , teraflex tire carrier

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.