Tanimal's 2008 2D JK Build Thread - Page 23 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Tanimal's 2008 2D JK Build Thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiSpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 12-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #331
motoguy1251
2012 JK Wrangler 

I agree on the looks but the price difference is quite a bit.

motoguy1251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #332
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoguy1251 View Post
What made you choose these over ACE Engineering. Curious because metal tube fenders are on my list to upgrade at some point.

On a side note what castor angle are you running on your RK lift.
The big reason was this: Exclusive Inner Brace Set
"Every set of Poison Spyder JK Crusher Flares™ comes with a set of inner braces that tie the Crusher Flare in to the sturdier, heavier-gauge steel of the JK's inner body tub structure. Competitors' JK Flare products simply bolt directly to the outer layer of the JK's body sheetmetal. But as any JK owner knows, the exterior sheetmetal is very thin and flexible. Simply bolting a heavy duty fender directly to the exterior sheetmetal without the inner bracing is a disaster waiting to happen. Regardless of how sturdy the flare is built, upon contact with rocks, trees, etc., it will simply push in and deform the flimsy sheetmetal it is bolted to, possibly causing expensive and unsightly damage. The Inner Brace Set that comes with Poison Spyder Crusher Flares™ effectively bypasses the outer sheetmetal, instead transferring those forces to the much stronger inner structure of the Jeep. That's why we've been able to demonstrate the strength of our flare attachment system by parking another Jeep on top of the Crusher Flare™! These Inner Braces are CNC laser cut, brake-formed for a great fit and simple installation." on Poison Spyder's website they have a Jeep parked on the others PS fender.

Oh, also this :

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue7 View Post
They look better
Quote:
Originally Posted by awinski View Post
JUST A LIL BIT Hhahaha

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2013, 07:23 AM   #333
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

If your worried about the tub, wouldn't you just get aluminum? My thinking is, it might absorb minimal impact better. ???

Rock Krawler | TeraFlex | Synergy | Fox | Poison Spyder | Genright | Nemesis | Vector | Springtail | Goodyear | MB Wheels | Tom Woods | Dirty Dog | Superchip’s | sPOD | Truck-Lite | Beer

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/big-blues-kentucky-blue-jku-build-thread-1435478/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]BIG BLUE'S "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]
[COLOR="White"][CENTER]Always looking for advice![/CENTER][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"][B][CENTER][SIZE="2"]Looking to buy any JK Rubicon transfer case, except from a 12-14 auto.[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]
BigBlue7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #334
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue7 View Post
If your worried about the tub, wouldn't you just get aluminum? My thinking is, it might absorb minimal impact better. ???
I loves me steel

Unread 12-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #335
awinski
i like turtles

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanimal View Post
I loves me steel
i have to say, i love aluminum, it's nice up north not having to worry about rust. but i think for the rebuild everything will be steel, local bought as i just found a lead on a friends dads 12ft hd brake press
Unread 12-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #336
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Got my dads storage unit all set up for fenders painting!

Unfortunately it doesn't have electricity so we are using a propane heater:

Fenders are all primed:

Hopefully will be doing the paint tomorrow. Been reading a lot on what people like to use and my buddy suggested this stuff:

I've also heard just Rustoleum textured, Duplicolor bed coating, and everything else. Suggestions ?

Unread 12-19-2013, 11:55 AM   #337
awinski
i like turtles

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanimal View Post
Got my dads storage unit all set up for fenders painting!

Unfortunately it doesn't have electricity so we are using a propane heater:

Fenders are all primed:

Hopefully will be doing the paint tomorrow. Been reading a lot on what people like to use and my buddy suggested this stuff:

I've also heard just Rustoleum textured, Duplicolor bed coating, and everything else. Suggestions ?
looking great, we have electric in our shop but still have to use a torpedo heater
i do like the rustoleum, it's very dark and i like the look it leaves. its what i used on all my armor on my four door. the key is the prep and i see you used their self etching primer which i've always had great results with. key is to let it cure for a good long while with the metal at the proper temp, its what i've learned about all painting. can't wait to see how this turns out! plus touch ups are a sinch!
Unread 12-19-2013, 12:35 PM   #338
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

I use roll on rustoleum bedliner. Kinda wish I just used regular paint. Only issue with the bedliner is it's hard to clean. Later I'm going gun metal grey on everything, so maybe monstaliner.

Rock Krawler | TeraFlex | Synergy | Fox | Poison Spyder | Genright | Nemesis | Vector | Springtail | Goodyear | MB Wheels | Tom Woods | Dirty Dog | Superchip’s | sPOD | Truck-Lite | Beer

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/big-blues-kentucky-blue-jku-build-thread-1435478/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]BIG BLUE'S "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]
[COLOR="White"][CENTER]Always looking for advice![/CENTER][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"][B][CENTER][SIZE="2"]Looking to buy any JK Rubicon transfer case, except from a 12-14 auto.[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]
BigBlue7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2013, 04:36 PM   #339
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

The bedliner is very hard to clean. But it's easy to touch up and blend later on if it gets scratched. I used it to repaint my RC hybrid front bumper because the coating was flaking earlier in the year.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2013, 07:53 AM   #340
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Moved the fenders over to our home garage because it's a lot smaller of an area to heat up and the bedliner needs to be 70F+ to cure. And so it begins…

Going with the Rustoleum Truck Bed Armor for now, thanks to everyone that has chimed in.

Unread 12-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #341
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Decided to finally open up the instructions and came across the "DO NOT PAINT OR POWDERCOAT" basically Poison Spyder wants you to test fit them first in case there's any issues:

Whoops:

I absolutely love how this Rustoelum Truck Bed Coating came out. Very happy with it and it sprayed out a lot better and didn't clog like the Duplicolor Bed Armor did when I used that for my front bumper.

Hopefully I will have them installed in the next couple weeks. The instructions seem to be very tedious.

Unread 12-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #342
TheBoss
malt, hops, yeast, water

2012 JK Wrangler 

I used that on my rails and has held up very well. I agree the finish comes out more consistent than the dupli color. Your progressing nicely, can't wait to see those bad boys installed.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2013, 02:27 PM   #343
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
I used that on my rails and has held up very well. I agree the finish comes out more consistent than the dupli color. Your progressing nicely, can't wait to see those bad boys installed.
Thanks for chiming in. It's nice to hear that you've had good experience with it and also live in IL. You know in winter we don't drive on roads here, we drive on salt.

Unread 12-23-2013, 11:16 PM   #344
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

I've got a couple questions about your build, looks great by the way. How happy are you with your lift? Its been on there for a while and you seem to get the rig out to stretch its legs, are you happy with the lift its give you? Are you seeing any sagging now that its been there for a bit? Do you have actual lift numbers vs. stock height? I have a Black JK and having the hard top interior white is driving me nuts. I saw the paint you used, is it flaking off or anything? How about scratches or nicks on the spray on paint?

Doesn't look like you made it to Moab. To many loose ends on the XJ? Your wheeling pics make me jealous of you guys that have OHV parks but then I think of how close Moab is to me (4 hours.) I went down with a buddy in June with my CJ7 and had a good time despite my breakage and can't wait to get back. Its hard though when my one friend has a family and money is tight for mods and playing. Money is tight for me too but I don't have any kids that need feeding and sustenance. I just need to go.

Thanks for taking the time of writing up the work you're doing. Helps us other guys visualize how things can be. I don't want to do work twice so I need to get it right the first go around.
Utah Jeep Crew #178
sanctified is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2013, 06:31 AM   #345
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanctified View Post
I've got a couple questions about your build, looks great by the way. How happy are you with your lift? Its been on there for a while and you seem to get the rig out to stretch its legs, are you happy with the lift its give you? Are you seeing any sagging now that its been there for a bit? Do you have actual lift numbers vs. stock height? I have a Black JK and having the hard top interior white is driving me nuts. I saw the paint you used, is it flaking off or anything? How about scratches or nicks on the spray on paint?

Doesn't look like you made it to Moab. To many loose ends on the XJ? Your wheeling pics make me jealous of you guys that have OHV parks but then I think of how close Moab is to me (4 hours.) I went down with a buddy in June with my CJ7 and had a good time despite my breakage and can't wait to get back. Its hard though when my one friend has a family and money is tight for mods and playing. Money is tight for me too but I don't have any kids that need feeding and sustenance. I just need to go.

Thanks for taking the time of writing up the work you're doing. Helps us other guys visualize how things can be. I don't want to do work twice so I need to get it right the first go around.
I still love the RK lift and I have not noticed any sagging whatsoever. I don't have any actual lift numbers vs stock height but I am positive when I initially installed the lift on I gained well over 2.5 inches because my stock front driveshaft went soon after. I'd definitely recommend this lift and RK to anyone. As far as the hardtop paint goes it has held up great with no flaking at all. There's a couple scratches and scuffs on the freedom panels from normal use but the back hardtop cap is still flawless, also it's an easy touchup if needs. As far as the XJ goes it's just a matter of not having enough time at this point, unfortunately that project got put on hold and the plans to go to MOAB did as well I'm jealous you're so close to MOAB! I appreciate you chiming in! It's always nice to see new posters and I'm glad this thread has helped

Tags
monstaliner , poison spyder , rock krawler , rugged ridge snorkel , teraflex tire carrier

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.