Tanimal's 2008 2D JK Build Thread - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Tanimal's 2008 2D JK Build Thread

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #181
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIJOE1914 View Post
Good to see more Chicago/Chicago area builds! Looks good!
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbuddha View Post
Man that is weird I have that same snorkel and a shorty antenna, no noticeable difference whatsoever from the full size (and my heep is even silver too LOL). Hmmm.
Haha! Don't worry the stubby antenna is now off and our Jeeps are not twins anymore

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #182
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Bump
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-06-2013, 11:02 AM   #183
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Bump
Hey I was sleeping in here!!!! Updates: currently looking for a winch and a trailer to tow my JK and fathers XJ. Hopefully will have the trailer for this upcoming weekend where our group will be making a trip to Badlands, IN.

Unread 04-15-2013, 11:20 AM   #184
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Finally got the Jeep back to the Badlands for my first trail run of the season and my first run with all my mods! For those of you familiar with the Badlands my big accomplishment of the weekend was getting up “Axle Breaker”!

Had to make sure the snorkel worked…and it does:

Nothing rubbing or squeaking to badly upon flex:

Ran the rock garden down by Orange trail that goes along the road back to the parking lot…Here’s us entering:

Warmed the tires up:

In the rock quarry and ran up that big cliff and then ran the smaller trails behind it:

Small rock hill in the sand dunes by the hay stacks:

Poser shots:

Flexed out:

Got stuck, it was like quicksand and a lot deeper than I thought, Drivers side was up to the bottom of the door :

Axle Breaker:

Got a full video of “Axle Breaker” unfortunately the pictures don’t do it justice but for anyone that’s been there it is a pain.

All in all an awesome weekend and very happy with my Jeeps capabilities, we ran a ton of trails and had about a day and a half of off-roading:

Unread 04-15-2013, 12:09 PM   #185
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Looks like a great trip, wish I could have made it, work sent me out-of-town last week so I couldn't get anything finished.

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #186
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Right on! Looks like a good time for sure. I don't see any picts. of the XJ , did it make it down there too?

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #187
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
Looks like a great trip, wish I could have made it, work sent me out-of-town last week so I couldn't get anything finished.
No worries and not to rub it in but it was a really good time! If you're interested keep May 18/19 available for "Go Topless Day" at the Badlands. What do you still have left with the Jeep?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
Right on! Looks like a good time for sure. I don't see any picts. of the XJ , did it make it down there too?
XJ didn't make it still have a lot of the trunk and drivers side floor to weld in among other things. By the way my invite to Filthy above ^^ applies to you also!

Unread 04-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #188
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Muffler heat shield rattle

After my offroad extravaganza my heat shield decided it wanted to fall off and rattle the entire ride home (3.5 hours). Decided not to rip it off and to fix it because I believe it's there for a reason...or at least I hope.

In order to get to this heat shield and not have to contort your body into different shapes to even see where it's located I decided to drop off the muffler which can be a pain:

The bolt that attaches the clamp to the exhaust pipe is 9/16 and I hit it with some PB Blaster. After that was off you can twist and turn it a little bit in order to slide those hooks out of that rubber isolator. I also had to use some channel locks and a hell of a lot of force to pop them free.

Here is what these damn bolts look like and I used 7/16 on these bolts (heat shield holes opened up after some time and it fell right past the bolts):

A nice quick fix is just to get some huge washers:

Replace heat shield and run them back down:

Replace your muffler and use the channel locks to your advantage. No more rattle and that should hold for a decent amount of time

Unread 04-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #189
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanimal View Post
No worries and not to rub it in but it was a really good time! If you're interested keep May 18/19 available for "Go Topless Day" at the Badlands. What do you still have left with the Jeep?
May 16th through the 18th I'll be doing the Two Rivers Jeep Club safari. Once I get this built I'll be at the Badlands a lot, Wife got my an annual pass to the Badlands for Christmas.

I got My Spidertrax spacers and the River raider skids installed. Hard part is going to be finding a good welder to do the truss at a decent price. Still need to get my PSC Bumper and fenders painted. God I wish it would stay dry and warm at the same time for more than a day.

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Unread 04-16-2013, 06:01 PM   #190
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
May 16th through the 18th I'll be doing the Two Rivers Jeep Club safari. Once I get this built I'll be at the Badlands a lot, Wife got my an annual pass to the Badlands for Christmas.

I got My Spidertrax spacers and the River raider skids installed. Hard part is going to be finding a good welder to do the truss at a decent price. Still need to get my PSC Bumper and fenders painted. God I wish it would stay dry and warm at the same time for more than a day.
I'd suggest James over at Ares Fabrication in Gilberts. He did a friends truss on his Dana30/44 a couple months back and it came out nice. It was fairly nice today! I got a bunch of painting done

Unread 04-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #191
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

very sweet, would love to see that video!
awinski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2013, 06:35 PM   #192
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Thanks I'll give James a call. I should take a few days off, but works pretty busy right now.

Unread 04-17-2013, 12:11 PM   #193
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Ace Rock Rail flex

I put my ACE Rock Rails to some good use this past weekend and was very happy with them considering they saved my *** on numerous occasions but I did want to mention one thing. When I ran "Axle Breaker" I had the Jeep tipped over on the drivers side rocker rail and it flexed more than I expected and actually damaged the pinch seam upon flex:

Not a huge deal (easy fix with some pliers and spray paint) considering how many positive things they did this weekend but for anyone considering grabbing these and putting them to good use just beware. Called ACE and Adam mentioned making sure the bolts were torqued properly (which they were) and also to consider pairing them with the stock Rubicon Rails because it would "strengthen them and cause less flex".

Hope it helps

Unread 04-17-2013, 12:16 PM   #194
Walle
Soccer Mom and Jeep Hater

2012 JK Wrangler 

Gotta get those stock Rubi rails. They do help reinforce the Ace rails. The Ace rails are tough as ****. The rails and fenders have kept me off the rocks multiple times!
Walle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2013, 12:20 PM   #195
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walle View Post
Gotta get those stock Rubi rails. They do help reinforce the Ace rails. The Ace rails are tough as ****. The rails and fenders have kept me off the rocks multiple times!
Yeah kind of mad I sold the 4 door ones I had and didn't just hack them to fit mine. I did see the ACE fenders in action on someone else's rig and I watched them take a beating and was very impressed with them.

Tags
monstaliner , poison spyder , rock krawler , rugged ridge snorkel , teraflex tire carrier

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.