Tanimal's 2008 2D JK Build Thread - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Tanimal's 2008 2D JK Build Thread

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #166
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

I bought a Tuffy under seat security drawer because last season when I was off-roading something got stolen out of my tent that was very valuable (typically I don't leave anything valuable in my tent but it slipped my mind):

Installation was a breeze and requires you to undo two seat bolts and slide it into place:

I love that the drawer pulls out all the way unlike the Bestop and the Tuffy was made in AMERICA:

As I continue to use the drawer I will update the thread with my thoughts but my first initial impression is that this drawer is stout!

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #167
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

I purchased the AntennaX 13" inch "off-road" antenna because I am tired of my stock antenna bouncing off my snorkel and making it sound as if I have carnage falling off my Jeep. I was extremely disappointed. I listen to the FM radio all the time and that is my constant source of "entertainment" in my vehicle. I installed this antenna without a doubt in my mind and thinking I wouldn't lose a noticeable amount of reception because of all the positive reviews, I was wrong. I immediately lost two of my favorite FM stations.The looks of the antenna are very appealing but the function just isn't there in my situation.

Maybe my snorkel was interfering with the antenna's performance but it is already off my Jeep and on it's way back to it's original home. I included some pictures below for reference of how high the snorkel is above the antenna.

Unread 03-17-2013, 08:15 AM   #168
grinder99
What????

2012 JK Wrangler 

I have the same antenna. Looks good, but doesn't work well. The biggest problem was that it costs as much to ship it back as it did to purchase it. Go figure!
grinder99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #169
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

thats a shame really, maybe just make a bracket for your original antenna to keep it still?
Unread 03-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #170
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

I've often wondered if those short antennas make a difference. Sorry to hear it.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #171
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder99 View Post
I have the same antenna. Looks good, but doesn't work well. The biggest problem was that it costs as much to ship it back as it did to purchase it. Go figure!
Fortunately I picked mine up from Amazon.com and when I followed their online prompts to return it they let me print a shipping label so I'm hoping they covered shipping....unless they back charge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by awinski View Post
thats a shame really, maybe just make a bracket for your original antenna to keep it still?
Yes I was thinking something along these lines. It's usually when I jump onto the highway that it starts bouncing but that's not very often. Just more of an annoyance and I was buying something off Amazon.com and just tossed it in the cart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442Wrangler View Post
I've often wondered if those short antennas make a difference. Sorry to hear it.
Some people say they don't have problems with them and maybe it is just my area or my snorkel.

Unread 03-17-2013, 07:13 PM   #172
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Probably not your snorkel. Each FM channel has an ideal antenna length based on the wavelength of the carrier signal. 98Mhz, about the center of the dial, will have a wavelength around 119 inches. So the best possible reception is with 119 inch antenna. that's a little long so it get's shortened it in multiples of the wavelength, typically to a 1/4 wavelength. so most FM antenna are from 29 to 31 inches, shorter than 29.75 favors lower channels longer favors higher channels. So the standard antenna has already cut reception to 1/4, an 1/8 wavelength would be 14 - 14.5", that antenna looks shorter than that.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:57 PM   #173
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

A big thanks to Teraflex and MetalCloak for donating the prizes to the JKoTM contest!

MetalCloak: $100 gift certificate

Teraflex: Toolbag and heavy duty 30 foot 20,000 pound recovery strap:

Unread 03-20-2013, 09:37 PM   #174
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanimal
A big thanks to Teraflex and MetalCloak for donating the prizes to the JKoTM contest!

Very cool.

Rock Krawler | TeraFlex | Synergy | Fox | Poison Spyder | Genright | Nemesis | Vector | Springtail | Goodyear | MB Wheels | Tom Woods | Dirty Dog | Superchipís | sPOD | Truck-Lite | Beer

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/big-blues-kentucky-blue-jku-build-thread-1435478/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]BIG BLUE'S "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]
[COLOR="White"][CENTER]Always looking for advice![/CENTER][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"][B][CENTER][SIZE="2"]Looking to buy any JK Rubicon transfer case, except from a 12-14 auto.[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]
BigBlue7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #175
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanimal View Post

I often wondered what you got for winning that contest. Thanks to the vendors and a big congrats again Tanimal, well deserved.

On an unrelated note, when did your build move to the build thread area? Lol

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 11:34 PM   #176
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442Wrangler View Post
I often wondered what you got for winning that contest. Thanks to the vendors and a big congrats again Tanimal, well deserved.

On an unrelated note, when did your build move to the build thread area? Lol
Holy crap I just noticed it got moved too! Maybe everyone's build threads are getting moved over to the general section. By the way it's funny you said you didn't know what you won for JKoTM because I didn't think you won anything and I thought prizes were just for JKoTY so it was a big surprise when vendors were asking for my home address.

Thanks again!

Unread 03-21-2013, 05:37 AM   #177
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanimal View Post
Holy crap I just noticed it got moved too! Maybe everyone's build threads are getting moved over to the general section. By the way it's funny you said you didn't know what you won for JKoTM because I didn't think you won anything and I thought prizes were just for JKoTY so it was a big surprise when vendors were asking for my home address.

Thanks again!
What did you win last month? Sorry if I missed it!

Rock Krawler | TeraFlex | Synergy | Fox | Poison Spyder | Genright | Nemesis | Vector | Springtail | Goodyear | MB Wheels | Tom Woods | Dirty Dog | Superchipís | sPOD | Truck-Lite | Beer

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/big-blues-kentucky-blue-jku-build-thread-1435478/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]BIG BLUE'S "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]
[COLOR="White"][CENTER]Always looking for advice![/CENTER][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"][B][CENTER][SIZE="2"]Looking to buy any JK Rubicon transfer case, except from a 12-14 auto.[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]
BigBlue7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 07:06 AM   #178
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue7 View Post
What did you win last month? Sorry if I missed it!
Post 173 where I thanked MetalCloak and Teraflex is the prizes!

Unread 03-21-2013, 08:18 AM   #179
GIJOE1914
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Good to see more Chicago/Chicago area builds! Looks good!
GIJOE1914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 05:46 PM   #180
Butterbuddha

2010 JK Wrangler 

Man that is weird I have that same snorkel and a shorty antenna, no noticeable difference whatsoever from the full size (and my heep is even silver too LOL). Hmmm.

Tags
monstaliner , poison spyder , rock krawler , rugged ridge snorkel , teraflex tire carrier

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.