Tanimal's 2008 2D JK Build Thread - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Tanimal's 2008 2D JK Build Thread

RCV Heavy Duty Axle Shafts Now Shipping at Baseline4x4.comStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 02-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #151
Tanimal
Why are you reading this?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Started up the Jeep and my "electronic throttle control light" came on along with the "check engine light". Turned the Jeep off and restarted and the electrical throttle control light cleared but not the check engine light. Was driving and I was up at 3/4 of the way to overheating. Pulled into Autozone and grabbed some coolant and topped off my overflow tank which was down at "minimum". Turned the Jeep back over and the check engine light was gone but I was still 3/4 way to overheating. Haven't been through mud recently and didn't see any leaks coming from my water pump. Thinking it is the thermostat, other suggestions? Thanks

-=-CLICK HERE FOR MY XJ BUILD THREAD-=-

Learning as I go and it's worth every penny!
Tanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #152
mrwhipple
2012 JK Wrangler 

probably a sticky thermostat.
is the coolant fairly clean in the radiator? sometimes a flush might help, but thermostats are cheap enough to replace.
Unread 02-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #153
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwhipple View Post
probably a sticky thermostat.
is the coolant fairly clean in the radiator? sometimes a flush might help, but thermostats are cheap enough to replace.
Yes coolant was fairly clean and I'm going to guess a thermostat also. Went outside after the jeep sat there for 1+ hour in 20 degrees and it still was showing halfway on the gauge which I thought was very incorrect since the heat was blowing cold from the inside.

Thanks for the response.

Unread 02-21-2013, 12:38 PM   #154
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Went to go fire my Jeep up this morning to go get a new thermostat and it wouldn't start! I checked all the fuses, reset my computer back to "stock tune" with superchips and tried to pull any codes and there were none. Disconnected the battery and reset the "PCM adaptive memory". No leaking water pump. Tried shifting it from Park to Neutral and starting it with no success and battery was fine. Was at a loss so the Jeep has to take a ride....

Not happy about having to take it to the shop but it's beyond my minor mechanical abilities. Snow storm is coming tonight and I don't get to play now but I'll keep updates on this thread in case someone else has similar issues.

Unread 02-21-2013, 01:22 PM   #155
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Did the Jeep come on when turning the keys or was it completely dead? Did the starter click or did nothing happen? Did you disconnect any wires during the thermostat change?

Just trying to get a better picture.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 01:32 PM   #156
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442Wrangler View Post
Did the Jeep come on when turning the keys or was it completely dead? Did the starter click or did nothing happen? Did you disconnect any wires during the thermostat change?

Just trying to get a better picture.
Everything came on when turning the key and it was cranking over and over and over without firing, started wasn't just clicking it (def not dead battery). I didn't get around to changing the thermostat because when I got outside to go get the part the Jeep wouldn't kick over.

No problem, thanks for the concern

Unread 02-21-2013, 01:38 PM   #157
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanimal View Post
Everything came on when turning the key and it was cranking over and over and over without firing, started wasn't just clicking it (def not dead battery). I didn't get around to changing the thermostat because when I got outside to go get the part the Jeep wouldn't kick over.

No problem, thanks for the concern
Ok well my first instinct was a dead starter because I didn't know all the answers to my questions but now I'm thinking you have a bad sensor (if the engine is getting gas, would have to check the fuel rail check valve, and spark). I'm thinking it relates to the code thrown earlier that just went away.

Edit: You never said it was gone, just the throttle control sensor light. And if you didn't know, you can always have autozone run the check engine light for free. I don't know if you did, but once again just trying to help.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #158
Filthy-Beast
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanimal View Post
Not happy about having to take it to the shop but it's beyond my minor mechanical abilities. Snow storm is coming tonight and I don't get to play now but I'll keep updates on this thread in case someone else has similar issues.
That sucks! hope it's simple and you're back on the road soon.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 01:33 PM   #159
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442Wrangler View Post
Ok well my first instinct was a dead starter because I didn't know all the answers to my questions but now I'm thinking you have a bad sensor (if the engine is getting gas, would have to check the fuel rail check valve, and spark). I'm thinking it relates to the code thrown earlier that just went away.

Edit: You never said it was gone, just the throttle control sensor light. And if you didn't know, you can always have autozone run the check engine light for free. I don't know if you did, but once again just trying to help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
That sucks! hope it's simple and you're back on the road soon.
So far the problem seemed to be a coolant temperature sensor. Would make sense, Jeep wouldn't start because it thought it was 1 billion degrees. Hopefully this is the fix. Very mad at myself because it's a 10 dollar part....

Unread 02-22-2013, 05:05 PM   #160
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Hopefully you get it back before the snow melts.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 09:04 PM   #161
awinski
young & dumb

2012 JK Wrangler 

hope it fixes it!
Unread 02-23-2013, 09:48 AM   #162
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
Hopefully you get it back before the snow melts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by awinski View Post
hope it fixes it!
Seems to have fixed it. Unfortunately didn't get to play in the snow but that's ok.

Unread 02-23-2013, 01:05 PM   #163
mrwhipple
2012 JK Wrangler 

awesome. down time always sucks.
Unread 02-26-2013, 06:35 AM   #164
BigBlue7
2010 JK Wrangler 

It's always the simple problems that cause the most grief. Glad to hear your up and running!

Rock Krawler | TeraFlex | Synergy | Fox | Poison Spyder | Genright | Nemesis | Vector | Springtail | Goodyear | MB Wheels | Tom Woods | Dirty Dog | Superchipís | sPOD | Truck-Lite | Beer

[CENTER][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/big-blues-kentucky-blue-jku-build-thread-1435478/"][COLOR="Blue"][B]BIG BLUE'S "Kentucky Blue" JKU BUILD THREAD[/B][/COLOR][/URL][/CENTER]
[COLOR="White"][CENTER]Always looking for advice![/CENTER][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"][B][CENTER][SIZE="2"]Looking to buy any JK Rubicon transfer case, except from a 12-14 auto.[/SIZE][/CENTER][/B][/COLOR]
BigBlue7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #165
Tanimal

2008 JK Wrangler 

Was running into 7-11 really quick and saw an opportunity to goof around a bit so I climbed the hill and stuffed my rear wheel all the way into the wheel well. Made me realize I need flat fenders, I don't need to cut my pinch seam and people really need to get out more. Had a couple people come out from 7-11 asking if it was my Jeep and started taking pictures, since they thought it was so cool I snapped a couple and decided to share

Tags
monstaliner , poison spyder , rock krawler , rugged ridge snorkel , teraflex tire carrier

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.