A Tale of Two Tops - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > A Tale of Two Tops

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
MYounts
2014 JK Wrangler 

A Tale of Two Tops

My boss (he's a Jeep dealer) gave me two Wrangler soft tops along with all the hardware. One is the stock top and the other is one is a kind of a fast back type (it angles down from the roll bar to the tale gate). I didn't get a chance to see the brand name on it. I'll probably only have it on about two months a year. I'm leaning toward keeping the standard top and selling the other one. But I'm wondering if the fast back one would be easier to put up and take down.
The other question is what's involved with installing a soft top on a Jeep that has never had one. Do you have to drill holes to install the brackets, etc? Or does it bolt right on? If there's drilling I'm probably going to have the dealer do it.

MYounts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

Lots of videos on youtube. Google/Youtube '2011 jeep wrangler soft top installation'. No drilling required but there are some tricky steps the first time you do it. The 'fastback' top if it is a mopar one will use the factory surrounds (black plastic things) and would probably be easier to take on and off assuming you want to leave the whole rear open to the elements.

Also, in Michigan, you probably don't want to do it in the middle of winter unless you have a heated garage. Soft top material can be difficult to put on or almost impossible when it is cold.
09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...hread-1231661/
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
spinlock

There is no drilling involved. As long as you have all the parts just watch the videos as suggested.

Are the tops the same year as your Jeep? Run a quick search but I believe all years are compatible IF you have all of the soft top hardware. Someone correct if I am wrong.
spinlock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-10-2013, 02:55 AM   #4
SWilliams
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have the Bestop fast top and its a breeze to take off and put on.
SWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.