Taking Doors off - anyone make a lift to make it easier? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Taking Doors off - anyone make a lift to make it easier?

LJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off RoadEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #46
justaguy77

I have thought about half doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterbuddha View Post
In all seriousness, think about getting soft doors. I travel for business a lot but I didn't want the Mrs to be stuck trying to move around those heavy things. (Mine are not power windows and still over 50 awkward lbs each). Soft doors keep out the weather but are MUCH lighter, doesn't matter if you drop them, etc. Plus for those like myself without a garage, they are great for the sudden downpours-they go on in a hurry.
I have thought about this and when I had my first Jeep it had half doors and it was very easy to take off and on. However now I have a wife who probably wouldn't like the extra noise that half doors add (at least my old ones did). I guess I could just leave her at home.

justaguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:57 PM   #47
justaguy77

It is a Hydrualic Lift table.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Where did you get that lift and about how much was it? Iím sure there are probably others that for one reason or the other could go the route you took if the price is reasonable.
I got it at Harbor Freight which is kind of a discount tool shop in the area. The lift runs $160 but I had a 25% off coupon so that helped. Add to that the cost of some wood, screws, the support braces, and some carpet and I probably have around $150-$175. Not as cheap as lifting them off but cheaper than replacing a door. I may build another one since I have a 4 door and that way I can have a cart for each one.
justaguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 11:31 PM   #48
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb View Post
Get an electric lift for the hard top.
What type ??

Pics ?
Katmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2013, 01:54 AM   #49
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Thatís not really bad (price wise) for what it does. Hell, Iíve spent more on materials fabricating things that got thrown away because I didnít like the way they turned out.

I think your project turned out great.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #50
gcan
2008 JK Wrangler 

I like the lift you fabricated! (and the storage aspect is definatly a plus).
that said... I'm an out of shape almost 40yo soccer mom. I take mine on and off a lot (on to go muddin 2/3x a month, off for a DD). By myself. Hey, if I can't get the door off, I'd be screwed if I needed to change the tire.

What has made my life easier: put some penetrating oil (I use AntiSieze, love that stuff) inside the hinge before you put em back on, they will glide right out. If I'm working with a tweeked back (like I said, old and out of shape), I use a 1 ton floor jack. veeeerrrrry slowly, if it catches at ALL I back it down and reposition.
And to get the doors to the backyard I use a walmart skateboard with oversized "off road" tires (which has moved sheds, beer fridges, ect lol).

Anyone have any tips on getting the power window/lock plug to disconnect easily? I have to crawl down and talk nice to it each and every time, it never wants to seperate without a struggle.
gcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #51
Rugby_3
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaguy77 View Post
Well when I posted this thread I was hoping to get some helpful information but for the most part I just got idiots and their responses. Why someone would take the time to post a response that wasn't helpful to an honest question and somethings others may have an issue with too I'm not really sure. I guess that is what happens when they let monkeys use the internet. There were a few actual responses and those who took the time I appreciate it. Here is the solution I came up with that seems to work so far if anyone is interested. It is a hydraulic cart with some wood braces on it. This allows me to raise the doors straight up off the hinges and wheel them to where ever I want. Also I can just store them on the cart and wheel them back out when it is time to put them on.
I think this would be sweet to see a YouTube video made to show how effective it is. Also would quite the nay sayers that this is a bad idea to see it work first had.
Rugby_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2013, 07:24 PM   #52
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

i took my doors off yesterday. im convinced they're lighter than my TJ's. you guys are pansies.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.