Taking Doors off - anyone make a lift to make it easier? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Taking Doors off - anyone make a lift to make it easier?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 07-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #31
442Wrangler
In like Flynn.

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
This thread is so stereotypical current America.

Adapt and overcome.
The being fat and lazy? Yes, I agree.

1998 TJ Sahara Sold
-3.25" RC spring lift, Eagle alloys 125s, 33x12.5x15 Cooper STTs, XRC8 winch with stock bumper mount

1994 YJ SE Sold
-4" RC spring lift, 33x12.5x15 Firestone M/Ts, Eagle alloys 125, and a 4 cylinder to boot

1960 Willys Wagon
-Going to be restored and painted Omaha Orange

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."
-Steve McQueen

Male RN Jeep Club #1
442Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #32
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post
or when the pins pop free and the vehicle settles down on the springs while the door goes up - gee no lifting injury, just a juggling 60 lbs of sudden weight shift injury. Is there a difference?
First time I took off my LJ doors I had to use a hi-lift to help. When they pop, get ready to catch a flying door.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #33
TOK

Taking them off is way easier than putting them on... Taking them off, I roll down window and from the outside lift with one hand over shoulder on window frame and one hand on the mirror mount to stabilize.

I put them on the same way, but it sometimes seems tricky to line up the pins without scratching the hinges.
TOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2013, 07:20 PM   #34
justaguy77

My Solution

Well when I posted this thread I was hoping to get some helpful information but for the most part I just got idiots and their responses. Why someone would take the time to post a response that wasn't helpful to an honest question and somethings others may have an issue with too I'm not really sure. I guess that is what happens when they let monkeys use the internet. There were a few actual responses and those who took the time I appreciate it. Here is the solution I came up with that seems to work so far if anyone is interested. It is a hydraulic cart with some wood braces on it. This allows me to raise the doors straight up off the hinges and wheel them to where ever I want. Also I can just store them on the cart and wheel them back out when it is time to put them on.
document.jpg

door.jpg

justaguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 02:03 AM   #35
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaguy77 View Post
...Here is the solution I came up with that seems to work so far if anyone is interested. It is a hydraulic cart with some wood braces on it. This allows me to raise the doors straight up off the hinges and wheel them to where ever I want. Also I can just store them on the cart and wheel them back out when it is time to put them on.
Where did you get that lift and about how much was it? I’m sure there are probably others that for one reason or the other could go the route you took if the price is reasonable.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 03:04 AM   #36
sleepjeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

That appears to be modified transmission jack.

That looks to be a very good idea, combining storage and an assist with removing and replacing the doors.

For those that say get a gym membership etc. the issue here isn't necessarily about strength. The issue is that when lifting an unwieldy and fairly heavy item like the jeep door it can increase the chances of injuring your back. Even if you use proper lifting techniques the problem occurs when you twist and carry the door. Those out there who have injured your back know how painful that can be.
sleepjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 05:49 AM   #37
Jeepinit95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My dad uses something like this in his autobody shop to help him mount car doors by himself. Kind of pricey for as little as you may use it though.

http://www.innovativetools.com/shop/...ive-door-jack/
Jeepinit95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #38
Butterbuddha

2010 JK Wrangler 

In all seriousness, think about getting soft doors. I travel for business a lot but I didn't want the Mrs to be stuck trying to move around those heavy things. (Mine are not power windows and still over 50 awkward lbs each). Soft doors keep out the weather but are MUCH lighter, doesn't matter if you drop them, etc. Plus for those like myself without a garage, they are great for the sudden downpours-they go on in a hurry.
Unread 07-17-2013, 06:49 PM   #39
marmotmb
2007 JK Wrangler 

Motorcycle jack $90, some 2x4 bolted to the surface, build up so door sits inbetween two verticle 2x4 in two places, carpet / coveraccordingly to prevent scratching.

Jack slowly till it comes off, door now balanced held on jack by 2x4's, roll to storage place lift door off.
Pro Comp - Hypertech Programmer / 2.5" Teraflex coil lift & 1" M.O.R.E Body Lift / 315/75R16 Pro Comp Mt. Extremes / 16" x 8" Pro Comp Series 52 (Black) / Pro Comp steering stabalizer / Air Raid Cold air intake / Ace Enginnering and Fab Front stubby with bull bar / OR Fab Rear tire carrier / 2 Blitz Jerry Can / HI lift jack / Cherry Bomb 2.5" Exhaust and Custom Tail pipe / KC Daylighter 6" 130 Watt with Driving lense / Shifter boot trim ring bolt mod / Rear Bumper gap mod / Mirror drill hole mod
marmotmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 11:51 PM   #40
Katmandu
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengo View Post
I think the problem is that most people use their arms and lower back to lift items.
To take a door off one needs to keep a straight back and bend at the knees. With one arm straight under the door and the other to balance it you simply straighten your legs. Up comes the door.
People with back problems should never bend over to lift anything. That's how you get back problems.
To lower the door onto the hinge again straight back bend at the knees. Bending over makes you wobble missing the hinge.
Funny you mention proper lifting technique....

I've had back issues in the past and a couple years ago needed to lift a 90lb Lawnboy mower into the back of my Cummins Turbo Diesel.

I used ALL the above/proper techniques. I "almost" had the mower in the bed when my left *** muscle RIPPED ! Yes! *** muscle! The largest muscle in the human body. Put me out of work for (6) weeks and almost (2) years to make a full recovery! You want to talk about a painful injury ? The worst was the uncontrollable muscle spams from my hamstring! Excruciating pain!

So basically......use your brain more than technique BEFORE you lift anything! You only have one back and one ***! Better take care of them.

Now where is that guy the wants to start making custom lifts at ?

What I would really like to see is a custom lift to help remove the hardtops!

Anyone ??
Katmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 05:45 AM   #41
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post

I've had back issues in the past and a couple years ago needed to lift a 90lb Lawnboy mower into the back of my Cummins Turbo Diesel.

I used ALL the above/proper techniques. I "almost" had the mower in the bed when my left *** muscle RIPPED ! Yes! *** muscle! The largest muscle in the human body. Put me out of work for (6) weeks and almost (2) years to make a full recovery! You want to talk about a painful injury ? The worst was the uncontrollable muscle spams from my hamstring! Excruciating pain!

So basically......use your brain more than technique BEFORE you lift anything! You only have one back and one ***! Better take care of them.

Anyone ??
what a pain in the *** that must have been for you.

You do realize that **** has 2 ** therefore 4 **** is the proper spelling?

John
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:17 AM   #42
ncb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katmandu

Anyone ??
Get an electric lift for the hard top.
ncb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #43
jeffreyd1964
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Men, I am a gym rat , I squat 315lbs and never hurt my back. But I tweeked my back 3 times in the last 13 years taking my doors off. I,m sure if your at least 5'10" and have long arms it sure helps. Let me tell you, that is a nice jack that man made
and the soft doors are the way to go.
jeffreyd1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 02:24 PM   #44
musicbjd

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaguy77 View Post
Well when I posted this thread I was hoping to get some helpful information but for the most part I just got idiots and their responses. Why someone would take the time to post a response that wasn't helpful to an honest question and somethings others may have an issue with too I'm not really sure. I guess that is what happens when they let monkeys use the internet. There were a few actual responses and those who took the time I appreciate it. Here is the solution I came up with that seems to work so far if anyone is interested. It is a hydraulic cart with some wood braces on it. This allows me to raise the doors straight up off the hinges and wheel them to where ever I want. Also I can just store them on the cart and wheel them back out when it is time to put them on.

This is SOOOO cool!!! Where did you get the jack?
musicbjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #45
rebelbowtie
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Funny you Wrangler guys complaining about lifting tour doors when I'm over here wishing my XJ doors were as light as yours.....
For he's just the U.S. Government's hired man.
rebelbowtie is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.