Taking Doors off - anyone make a lift to make it easier? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Taking Doors off - anyone make a lift to make it easier?

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-07-2013, 01:36 AM   #16
Repauli1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Would there be a demand if I designed and fabricated a door jack/ dolly? For say 3-400 bucks? With a hydraulic lift.

Unread 07-07-2013, 08:35 PM   #17
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repauli1
Would there be a demand if I designed and fabricated a door jack/ dolly? For say 3-400 bucks? With a hydraulic lift.
Id buy one. At a discount of course. Say..... 70%?
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 08:11 AM   #18
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repauli1 View Post
The problem with any kind of lift is that you are now using force that if NOT applied perfectly straight up and push it right on through the bind at the wrong angle WILL re-align all of your hinges... incorrectly of course (not to mention any other damages such as to the actual door shape). DO this a couple of times over two years - well it IS each individual's call - but I kinda like doors that work right.

But I figure if I ain't got enough to pull em by hand - my lack of strength on the trail would kinda preclude me from the off roading I prefer. If you can't even pull a 45 lb door how can I trust ya to help me unhang YOUR jeep from the rocks (let alone have my back on mine)?

Sorry but this is a sport where weaklings aren't allowed (or at best get severely limited to hanging on the porch with the puppies while the big dogs play).
Unread 07-09-2013, 08:36 AM   #19
jepen
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post
x4?
x5
Unread 07-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #20
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post

The problem with any kind of lift is that you are now using force that if NOT applied perfectly straight up and push it right on through the bind at the wrong angle WILL re-align all of your hinges... incorrectly of course (not to mention any other damages such as to the actual door shape). DO this a couple of times over two years - well it IS each individual's call - but I kinda like doors that work right.

But I figure if I ain't got enough to pull em by hand - my lack of strength on the trail would kinda preclude me from the off roading I prefer. If you can't even pull a 45 lb door how can I trust ya to help me unhang YOUR jeep from the rocks (let alone have my back on mine)?

Sorry but this is a sport where weaklings aren't allowed (or at best get severely limited to hanging on the porch with the puppies while the big dogs play).
Your first points are very interesting and need to be addressed by any solution.

Your 2nd point and the posts about build up strength assume an avg physically fit person who is doing level 3 through 5 trails (on a 5 point scale). What about a physically handicapped person who wants to enjoy no doors? Or when I'm 80 I'd still like to be able to cruise the easy trails with no doors without having to risk days pain because I pulled something taking the doors off.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #21
pismo61
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop View Post

A sport.I guess that means we are athletes.
Unread 07-09-2013, 02:13 PM   #22
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

It is a sport in a sense but to be enjoyed by all, novice or pro, week or strong. There are no limitations or pre-qualifying of anyone who wants to participate.
1222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #23
propped1
2007 JK Wrangler 

This isn't a matter of strength as much as technique. I am a big guy who works out a lot, and my doors have never just pulled out... I like to work smarter instead of harder... The way I get them off is by sitting on the sill with my feet on the ground, close the door till it hits me in the mid thigh, putt latch side hand on the inner handle and dash side hand on the window frame where it meets with the A pillar. Pull door to your legs and stand up... cake. If you cant do that, I would suggest leaving your doors on.

I have the HOSS cart for my doors from Bestop. Once the door is off it can be tricky getting it to sit in the cart just right and pulling it out to put back on the Jeep (which btw is the reverse process). If taking the doors off this way wont get them to pop out of the hinges, leave em on. You will probably drop them once they are off.
-OlllllllO]
(o)_) (o)_)o-)_)
propped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 08:41 AM   #24
greengo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Door removal

Finally some clear skies so the first thing this morning the doors came off.
Decided to weigh them. With power windows they both weighed 62.4 lbs. each.
Now I am 65 years old and only a paltry 162 lbs. but they don't feel heavy to me. As one member said technique is the best way.
greengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #25
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pismo61 View Post
A sport.I guess that means we are athletes.
My bad....

This is a HOBBY for grownups. And supervised kids. Have your supervisor pull them for ya. My 11 yo neice will gladly do it for ya for a turn in the left front seat of your rig....

(just bustin your chops ya'll - I know the desire to make things easiest as possible - which is why I own lifts, levers and hoists lol!!!)
Unread 07-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #26
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
What about a physically handicapped person who wants to enjoy no doors? Or when I'm 80 I'd still like to be able to cruise the easy trails with no doors without having to risk days pain because I pulled something taking the doors off.
Simple rule of supply and DEMAND. You just spoke for less than 1% of jeepers.
Honestly - it IS up to the disabled to arrange accommodation - as I always told my kids - its YOUR job to adapt to society - not society's job to adapt to YOU. Don't throw ADA up yet - that is for protection of rights (to work, worship etc. - there are no rights granted to Jeeping - its a privilege - doubt the drafter's of the constitution even saw jeeps coming). The old saying "gotta pay to play".

As it is I have a very ill best friend - leukemia - he could not even climb into his lifted Jeep last year. The club members accommodated HIM (and thank GOD there were no videos on utube lmao). If he makes it through his transplant - I personally will modify his jeep with whatever needed to get him back on the trail. And I will personally pull all of his weight if need be (but with 14 member jeeps in the club I doubt any ONE of us will have to).

So I get ya.

ITS 60 lbs man. Even after a severe back injury (three artificial discs and four vertebrae fused) my "medical limit" is 80lbs (was 40 for the first three years after surgery)! My back pain is daily - a good seat IS next on my list of MODS.

If I am still Jeeping at 80 - I'll just have to hire a 20YO female "chauffeur"...
Unread 07-11-2013, 11:30 AM   #27
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

This thread is so stereotypical current America.

Adapt and overcome.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #28
greengo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Door removal

I think the problem is that most people use their arms and lower back to lift items.
To take a door off one needs to keep a straight back and bend at the knees. With one arm straight under the door and the other to balance it you simply straighten your legs. Up comes the door.
People with back problems should never bend over to lift anything. That's how you get back problems.
To lower the door onto the hinge again straight back bend at the knees. Bending over makes you wobble missing the hinge.
greengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 05:52 PM   #29
boon4376
2013 JK Wrangler 

Since gaining strength seems to be out of the question,

I bet you could rig something up with a bunch of 2x4 and a hydraulic jack, plus some casters that you could roll around the car, pump the door up and off, roll the contraption to a place to hang them in the window frame, lower the jack, move onto the next one.

Including the jack, I bet you could build something for $200 - $300 pretty easily.

Box frame the bottom to hold the jack in a stationary position, casters on the bottom to roll it, 2 tall pieces coming up carpeted for protection of the door, some type of wide brace on the top of the jack head to fit the bottom of the door, maybe a piece around the side to keep it from falling the wrong way (away from the posts) - once up it would lean against the carpeted posts.

Rubber, padded hooks in your garage hanging from the ceiling could hook through the window frame, .. Roll the door up to them, hook the window frame on, then lower the jack to just leave the doors on the hooks... Move onto the next door.

A jack pushes up, unless you are hanging on the door hinges, they wont get screwed up, a jack just pressing on the bottom of the door can't push the door sideways or bend it at a weird angle. I wouldn't worry about a jack hurting the hinges.

Now getting the door hinges to align when you want to put them back on using some crazy contraption like this? That might be a little tricky... That's where brute manly strength comes into play.
boon4376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #30
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by boon4376 View Post
a jack just pressing on the bottom of the door can't push the door sideways or bend it at a weird angle.
FALSE. A jack located too far from hinge will NOT raise door straight - any bind in the pins will then send all force to hinges at an angle to the pillar\hinge axis with the door length being a lever that multiplies the jacks force (which user has no way of gauging) - what bends first?
(oh and bottle and screw jacks go up - floor jacks arc)

or when the pins pop free and the vehicle settles down on the springs while the door goes up - gee no lifting injury, just a juggling 60 lbs of sudden weight shift injury. Is there a difference?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.