Taking Doors off - anyone make a lift to make it easier? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Taking Doors off - anyone make a lift to make it easier?

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearUCF Black Friday SaleLOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, Yu

Unread 07-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
justaguy77

Taking Doors off - anyone make a lift to make it easier?

I have been thinking about trying to make a lift of some sort that I could use to lift the doors off my Jeep. I can get them off but I would like something that would limit the risk of dropping. I can't do anything to the ceiling so was trying to think of something else, maybe something that would roll up to the door and lift it. I have a couple of ideas but was wondering if anyone had made something that worked for them. If so let's see the plans.

justaguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
Repauli1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Mechanic chair, unjust all the way up, roll under door, lift door off set bottom edge on bench, balance and roll to destination. Simple and works. K.I.S.S. theory at least.
Unread 07-01-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I use my man hands.
Unread 07-01-2013, 10:25 PM   #4
marmotmb
2007 JK Wrangler 

I always roll windows down, lift up, throw on shoulder, voila, or of course one could get the wife to do it.
Pro Comp - Hypertech Programmer / 2.5" Teraflex coil lift & 1" M.O.R.E Body Lift / 315/75R16 Pro Comp Mt. Extremes / 16" x 8" Pro Comp Series 52 (Black) / Pro Comp steering stabalizer / Air Raid Cold air intake / Ace Enginnering and Fab Front stubby with bull bar / OR Fab Rear tire carrier / 2 Blitz Jerry Can / HI lift jack / Cherry Bomb 2.5" Exhaust and Custom Tail pipe / KC Daylighter 6" 130 Watt with Driving lense / Shifter boot trim ring bolt mod / Rear Bumper gap mod / Mirror drill hole mod
marmotmb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-01-2013, 10:42 PM   #5
MoonyJohn
Mountain Climber

2004 WJ 

can always use a duct fitters duct lifting machine. Other than that I got nothing
Unread 07-01-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Motor lift ?

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #7
kylejeap
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmotmb View Post
I always roll windows down, lift up, throw on shoulder, voila, or of course one could get the wife to do it.
I like the wife idea. Don't do it with a girlfriend, she may never become your jeep-toting wife!
Unread 07-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Magnitude Engineering delrin bushings and stainless pins. Easy as pie.

But I agree, stop being a wimp.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 07:18 AM   #9
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Check out those bike lifts for the garage to store bikes up on the ceiling. I'm sure that can be rigged for this purpose. And they are cheap. Weight is usually around 50lb on them.
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 11:50 AM   #10
dcramer63
2011 JK Wrangler 

This is something I've not made by design, but it comes in quite handy when my doors are being cantankerous in coming off. I have a 4-foot left over section of 4"x4" post that gets used for all sorts of duties; can-crushing, temporary boat cover prop, trailer chock. On those days that I lack the desire to fight the doors off, I lay this post across my floor jack, align it under the door, and lift it off. I only wish replacing the doors were this easy
dcramer63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-03-2013, 10:05 PM   #11
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Man oh man. If I ever get to the point it's hard for me to remove my doors just shoot me lol. I couldn't imagine having a jeep and not removing the doors. I can't remember the last time I had doors on
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 01:33 PM   #12
justaguy77

Hit the gym, Seriously?

Well if any of you who suggested hit the gym has a gym work out that will make me instantly stronger please send it my way. Otherwise I was looking for something that helps me out now, summer won't be here forever. Seeing as how the doors are not cheap to replace I would prefer to be able to take them off and not have the worry about dropping them. Plus like someone posted they can be tough to take off when they decide they don't want to come out like my back door did. Anyway I figured something out so thanks for the real responses. Usually there are some helpful people on here.
justaguy77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 08:33 PM   #13
wiant
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcramer63
This is something I've not made by design, but it comes in quite handy when my doors are being cantankerous in coming off. I have a 4-foot left over section of 4"x4" post that gets used for all sorts of duties; can-crushing, temporary boat cover prop, trailer chock. On those days that I lack the desire to fight the doors off, I lay this post across my floor jack, align it under the door, and lift it off. I only wish replacing the doors were this easy
...2x4 for me, I use it to help ease the door off hinges. Leaving the windows off will help with the shoulder hoist.
Colorado Jeep Club Member #153
wiant is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #14
Magatetzz
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Something like these (which are for tires, but if they were high enough to go through the window would work) with casters on the bottom and a hi-lift style jack would work.

image-252434566.jpg

Essentially a hi-lift with two posts and a wide base with casters...

Best gas milage from my Jeep to date: The time I pushed it across the lot at work.
Magatetzz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-06-2013, 11:25 PM   #15
AveCat
MacGyver

2012 JK Wrangler 

Put both hand under the door and lift. Pretty simple lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.