JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Taking Doors off - anyone make a lift to make it easier? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/taking-doors-off-anyone-make-lift-make-easier-1543684/)

justaguy77 07-01-2013 04:26 PM

Taking Doors off - anyone make a lift to make it easier?

I have been thinking about trying to make a lift of some sort that I could use to lift the doors off my Jeep. I can get them off but I would like something that would limit the risk of dropping. I can't do anything to the ceiling so was trying to think of something else, maybe something that would roll up to the door and lift it. I have a couple of ideas but was wondering if anyone had made something that worked for them. If so let's see the plans.

Repauli1 07-01-2013 08:55 PM

Mechanic chair, unjust all the way up, roll under door, lift door off set bottom edge on bench, balance and roll to destination. Simple and works. K.I.S.S. theory at least.

Anticanman 07-01-2013 09:02 PM

I use my man hands.

marmotmb 07-01-2013 09:25 PM

I always roll windows down, lift up, throw on shoulder, voila, or of course one could get the wife to do it.

MoonyJohn 07-01-2013 09:42 PM

can always use a duct fitters duct lifting machine. Other than that I got nothing

Filthy-Beast 07-01-2013 10:01 PM

Motor lift ?

kylejeap 07-02-2013 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marmotmb (Post 15630824)
I always roll windows down, lift up, throw on shoulder, voila, or of course one could get the wife to do it.

I like the wife idea. Don't do it with a girlfriend, she may never become your jeep-toting wife!:nono:

Imped 07-02-2013 07:02 PM

Magnitude Engineering delrin bushings and stainless pins. Easy as pie.

But I agree, stop being a wimp.

Wavedatya 07-03-2013 06:18 AM

Check out those bike lifts for the garage to store bikes up on the ceiling. I'm sure that can be rigged for this purpose. And they are cheap. Weight is usually around 50lb on them.

dcramer63 07-03-2013 10:50 AM

This is something I've not made by design, but it comes in quite handy when my doors are being cantankerous in coming off. I have a 4-foot left over section of 4"x4" post that gets used for all sorts of duties; can-crushing, temporary boat cover prop, trailer chock. On those days that I lack the desire to fight the doors off, I lay this post across my floor jack, align it under the door, and lift it off. I only wish replacing the doors were this easy :eek:

Wavedatya 07-03-2013 09:05 PM

Man oh man. If I ever get to the point it's hard for me to remove my doors just shoot me lol. I couldn't imagine having a jeep and not removing the doors. I can't remember the last time I had doors on :)

justaguy77 07-06-2013 12:33 PM

Hit the gym, Seriously?

Well if any of you who suggested hit the gym has a gym work out that will make me instantly stronger please send it my way. Otherwise I was looking for something that helps me out now, summer won't be here forever. Seeing as how the doors are not cheap to replace I would prefer to be able to take them off and not have the worry about dropping them. Plus like someone posted they can be tough to take off when they decide they don't want to come out like my back door did. Anyway I figured something out so thanks for the real responses. Usually there are some helpful people on here.

wiant 07-06-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcramer63
This is something I've not made by design, but it comes in quite handy when my doors are being cantankerous in coming off. I have a 4-foot left over section of 4"x4" post that gets used for all sorts of duties; can-crushing, temporary boat cover prop, trailer chock. On those days that I lack the desire to fight the doors off, I lay this post across my floor jack, align it under the door, and lift it off. I only wish replacing the doors were this easy :eek:

...2x4 for me, I use it to help ease the door off hinges. Leaving the windows off will help with the shoulder hoist.

Magatetzz 07-06-2013 09:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Something like these (which are for tires, but if they were high enough to go through the window would work) with casters on the bottom and a hi-lift style jack would work.

Attachment 643726

Essentially a hi-lift with two posts and a wide base with casters...

AveCat 07-06-2013 10:25 PM

Put both hand under the door and lift. Pretty simple lol.

The time now is 01:37 AM.