taking the dash apart - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > taking the dash apart

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 03-21-2007, 06:58 PM   #1
rwmjeepjk
2007 JK Wrangler 

taking the dash apart

can anyone tell me how to get the dash apart? I haven't tried to do it yet, but was looking for a head start. I am going to be installing some light switches and a switch for the winch. I am fabbing a switch pod to go at the top of the console above the stereo and will need to take the whole thing apart.

'07 Unlimited X - RED - winch, mod front bumper, 2.5" lift, 35" BFG KM2's, skid row skid plate, BackUp Camera, Custom Switch Pod, CB / PA, Congo Cage customized to full rack with light bar and rear ladder, more to come! (roof tent is not too far off, getting ready for next Easter Jeep Safari trip)
rwmjeepjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2007, 06:34 AM   #2
tbrkek

It's actually very easy. That top part above the stereo, just stick a screw driver in the back part of it, closest to the windshield and flip it open towards you. All the plastic going down past the radio and comfort controls just pops out on each side with a screwdriver. Three snaps on each side I beleive. I know these are very specific...hope it helps a little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmjeepkj
can anyone tell me how to get the dash apart? I haven't tried to do it yet, but was looking for a head start. I am going to be installing some light switches and a switch for the winch. I am fabbing a switch pod to go at the top of the console above the stereo and will need to take the whole thing apart.
tbrkek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2007, 11:05 AM   #3
redrom01
JCOB-4-LIFE

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrkek
It's actually very easy. That top part above the stereo, just stick a screw driver in the back part of it, closest to the windshield and flip it open towards you. All the plastic going down past the radio and comfort controls just pops out on each side with a screwdriver. Three snaps on each side I beleive. I know these are very specific...hope it helps a little bit.

Theres actually a bit more to it, but thats the gist. Similar to the top piece the section at the very bottom below the switches for lockers and such, also pops out indepenantly like the top piece. Make sure that you take the top piece and the very bottom piece off first as there are four screws that also attach the middle section in and they are uncovered by the top and bottom sections. The rest is just as tbrkek said.

I've installed three switches vertically in the middle off the vents and would be interested to see a picture of what your switches look like when finished.

Here is a link to the thread about my off-road lights install, at the bottom of the thread you can see a pic of my switches installed.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/light-braket-off-road-light-install-complete-387134/

______o00o
/__l_l_,\____\,__
l_---l_l__l----[ ]llllll[ ]
._(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)__

-Current Jeep-
2007 JK Rubi (Steel Blue)
Searching for an MJ

|¯¯l,[___],
l---L--OlllllllO¬
=~~~==oo==
()_) ()_)--<>-)_)
redrom01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2007, 07:38 PM   #4
rwmjeepjk
2007 JK Wrangler 

Redrom01 - where did you get the windsheild mounting brackets and what kind are they? I am planning on a pair of those as well. Also going to put some floods on the front bumper and rear bumper. I am probably also going to re-wire the factory fogs so that I can work them as I want them (with highs or not), that is how I had the fogs wired on my TJ and the fogs with high beams makes for nice back road visibility.
'07 Unlimited X - RED - winch, mod front bumper, 2.5" lift, 35" BFG KM2's, skid row skid plate, BackUp Camera, Custom Switch Pod, CB / PA, Congo Cage customized to full rack with light bar and rear ladder, more to come! (roof tent is not too far off, getting ready for next Easter Jeep Safari trip)
rwmjeepjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2007, 05:33 AM   #5
redrom01
JCOB-4-LIFE

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwmjeepkj
Redrom01 - where did you get the windsheild mounting brackets and what kind are they? I am planning on a pair of those as well. Also going to put some floods on the front bumper and rear bumper. I am probably also going to re-wire the factory fogs so that I can work them as I want them (with highs or not), that is how I had the fogs wired on my TJ and the fogs with high beams makes for nice back road visibility.

I agree with you on the re-wire of the fogs I beleive that I'll getting around to that at some point in the near furture. As for the windshield mounts, I bought mine from Mopar for $85 and let me just say that they have there down sides. I would suggest a much cheaper and better designed pair like these:

http://www.jeepline.com/store/itemde...sp?ID=28756918

There is also another pair out there somewhere I cant find the link right now.

______o00o
/__l_l_,\____\,__
l_---l_l__l----[ ]llllll[ ]
._(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)__

-Current Jeep-
2007 JK Rubi (Steel Blue)
Searching for an MJ

|¯¯l,[___],
l---L--OlllllllO¬
=~~~==oo==
()_) ()_)--<>-)_)
redrom01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.