Tailgate welds? Tailgate reinforcement? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Tailgate welds? Tailgate reinforcement?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-06-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
Xtremjeepn
2008 JK Wrangler 

Tailgate welds? Tailgate reinforcement?

Has anyone rewelded broken spot welds on the tailgate? Anyone done any reinforcements.

I would prefer to keep the tire on the gate for the moment. I hate swing-a-ways.

Unread 07-06-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

What size of tire do you have on your tailgate that would cause the welds to break? Any pictures of the damage that you can share?
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 06:16 AM   #3
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

Here's a 295/75-16 after 10,000 miles. When I took this picture, there were 3 broken welds. about a month later there were 6 with another letting loose.

I took mine back to the dealer and claimed that my tire was only 1.5" bigger than a Rubi wheel. I also pointed to the brand new JK's on the lot that had dealer added lifts with 35's and asked if they planned on declining the same warranty for those Jeeps. I got no grief. They re-welded the entire gate, did a pretty good job on the finish work and repainted it. I wanted a new gate, but I'm probably better off.

I think the difference in JK's with broken welds and the ones w/o is the amount of wheeling. My JK probably spends 100 miles a week on a trail for work. That tire is constantly getting jostled around. I've heard the daystar extended bumpstops help eleviate this...but as you can see, its an issue.

tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
Xtremjeepn
2008 JK Wrangler 

Do you have any pictures of the re-weld? How has it been holding up?

I can weld it myself. Just curious if anyone has done anything to reinforce this area.
Unread 07-07-2009, 11:59 AM   #5
Seanbmc
2009 JK Wrangler 

Hate to see this...

I just upgraded to 35" and want to carry the spare. Gotta decide what to do and new bumper is out of questions for 6 mos at least. Id like to see the fixed tailgate also if you have a pic.

Sean
Mastercraft Grab Handles, Mopar Slush Mats, Hitch.
Seanbmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 12:02 PM   #6
Xtremjeepn
2008 JK Wrangler 

I would love to see the inside of one of these tailgates to see what exactly is going on and what I would be welding to.

That would also give me an idea of how exactly to reinforce it.
Unread 07-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
JC KJ
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have the 325/70/18 on the gate no problems yet.

I was thinking about a receiver slide in tube. Angel it up under the tire with a plate on top so the tire sets on it just barely so the gate will still open with no real drag. This would help keep the load off the gate. You just lose your receiver hitch is the only down side.
JC KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 12:17 PM   #8
Xtremjeepn
2008 JK Wrangler 

I've thought about that. Would be nice to really fix the issue though.
Unread 07-07-2009, 12:29 PM   #9
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

My 32" rubi spare left a dent in the back of my tailgate :

My Build Thread
JK Tech
mattman8706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #10
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Why are so many of you against tire carriers? IMO, it's the only way to carry a full size spare larger than 32". It takes the weight off of the tailgate, moves the spare up out of the way for a better departure angle (big advantage) and looks much better. I can't stand seeing huge tires on the tailgate....maybe it's just me. Additionally, if you happen to roll back into a tree or rock with a tailgate-mounted spare, it can potentially break more welds or even the hinges. Mount it on a carrier and you're fine.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 01:16 PM   #11
Xtremjeepn
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imped4now View Post
Why are so many of you against tire carriers?
In 20+ years of wheeling I have seen more go wrong with tire carriers than the problem they are trying to solve.

They add a ton of weight and complexity that you really don't need.

Pain the the butt to open when your hands are full, trying to let the dogs get in, etc. Life is just so much easier opening the tailgate with the single latch.

Quote:
IMO, it's the only way to carry a full size spare larger than 32". It takes the weight off of the tailgate, moves the spare up out of the way for a better departure angle (big advantage) and looks much better. I can't stand seeing huge tires on the tailgate....maybe it's just me.
Again, 20+ years of wheeling I have never seen a stock tire location prevent someone from doing an obstical. A nice slick skid off the bumper would allow you to slide off of it if need be.

I would rather keep the weight low for stability, visability etc. Moving a 100+lbs of tire higher makes a Jeep tippier on side hills, takes weight off the front tires on climbs etc. Most tire carriers also move the tire further away from the body. Which increases the effect of the high tire and moves it out far enough that any increase in departure angle you think you get is being negated.

Not to mention you can't see over it for backing up on the trail or daily driving.

Quote:
Additionally, if you happen to roll back into a tree or rock with a tailgate-mounted spare, it can potentially break more welds or even the hinges. Mount it on a carrier and you're fine.
I have seen bumper mounted carriers collapse into tailgates, rip totally off the Jeep when caught on ledges, swing out and damage the tub due to bad or forgotten latches. There are a hundred more ways to damage a Jeep with a swing-a-way. I have seen them frozen(rusted) shut too.

I like the set ups like AEV, Expo-one, and Bestop where they work off the facotry latch. (harder to forget this way). But still not a fan of all the added weight.

I want something that keeps my tire close, tight, light and low. So far modifying the stock tail gate to be stonger and move the tire closer is my best option.
Unread 07-07-2009, 01:32 PM   #12
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

I'll try yo get some pics to you guys. The repair seems to be holding up well. Now that I live in NC full time, the Jeep is getting far worse of a beating then when I lived in FL --- all is well.
I can't tell what they welded - all I know is that none of the tac weld spots alnong that entire upper 1/4 of the gater are visible anymore, so either they rewelded them all, and sanded them flush - or bondo'd over - I dunno. They repainted it all and it looks really clean. No more rattles and no more broken welds. I'm satisfied.
tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 02:50 PM   #13
SETXWarrior
2007 JK Wrangler 

After I installed my swing away, I put clear silicone on the broken welds to help keep the rust at bay. I thought welding would expose more bare metal internally, allowing them to rust out faster than if I just left them.
SETXWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #14
LHS-Cowboy
DETN8R

2008 JK Wrangler 

Made this support brace to tie the hinge into the tire carrier...

Installed:
R.E. Modified 3.5 Super Flex Kit to 4+/Ft. & Rr. U-joint driveshafts/Full Traction Rear Adj. Trackbar/Custom Ft. Heim Joint Adj. Trackbar/Rancho 9000XL shocks/Yukon 4.88 Gears & Superior Rear Axle Shafts/37" Pitt Bull Rockers on Custom Allied Beadlocks/Poly Perf. Rock Sliders/Shrockworks Mid Ft. & Rear Bumper/Custom Trans. Crossmember and Skid/Custom High Steer with PSC Hydro Assist/Plumbed Warn PowerPlant HP/Cobra 75 WS XT C.B./Bully Dog Programmer/Custom Exhaust/Dual Optimas/48" X-treme Hi-Lift Jack on Custom Rear Swing Away Carrier/...

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[
OlllllllO]
( )_) ( )_)--)_)
LHS-Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2009, 06:49 PM   #15
UTAH

The stock wheel mount on the JK tailgate has horizontal support (rubber bumpers) but no such bumpers to limit vertical movement. I installed the rubber supports from a TJ on both my JK's on the bottom of the tailgate. They keep the tire solid and tight. No broken welds on either JK and both have 35's.

Bill

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.