Tailgate issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Tailgate issue

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNew Hours at RUFFSTUFF!Enjoy 5% off in April 2000-2006 Jeep Wrangler Ignition Coi

Unread 04-02-2015, 12:10 PM   #1
psheffern
2008 JK Wrangler 

Tailgate issue

So my tailgate is really starting to rattle. I have 35" tires and the spare is mounted right to the gate.....i know i need to do something soon, that rattle is driving me crazy...but i have no money, so....are those reinforcing kits any good, or should i just start saving for a bumper and carrier?......or can a carrier be rigged to a stock bumper somehow.....please

psheffern is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2015, 12:43 PM   #2
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Have you tried trouble shooting the problem? For instance, if you grab the spare and pull up and down and in/out can you get the tailgate to move? It may just be as simple as adjusting the striker plate. Perhaps not but that’s where I would start.

EDIT: Also, is your tire snubbed up tight against the tailgate? If not then depending how long this has been going on you may have more serious problems.
Unread 04-02-2015, 01:19 PM   #3
psheffern
2008 JK Wrangler 

with the gate shut...and me pulling /puching on the tire...it rattles the metal of the gate where it is attached....so not the hinge area...that make sense?....so you think it could just be tightend....guess i could try that...didnt even think of that
Unread 04-02-2015, 01:22 PM   #4
psheffern
2008 JK Wrangler 

EDIT: Also, is your tire snubbed up tight against the tailgate? If not then depending how long this has been going on you may have more serious problems.[/QUOTE]

sorry over looked this part.....the tire is not very snug, i have bump stops that are about 5-6" long....but i dont have a choice on that because the tire would rub on the bottom if i got any closer

i have owned it for two years now and this is the first for the rattle, but i dont know how long this has been fitted this way...i can try the removal and tighten like you said first and go from there....
Unread 04-02-2015, 01:29 PM   #5
duneslider
Web Wheeler
2007 JK Wrangler 

When I had a rattle it was the latch. I adjusted the catch and the wedge shaped deal and the rattle went away.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2015, 02:02 PM   #6
SlyDawg64
2014 JK Wrangler 

A friend had the rattle and it turned out to be the hinge bolts. one was almost completely out.

Old:
2010 JK Rubicon, 2 dr., 3" Terraflex lift and adjustable rear track bar, Toyo 35x12.5 tires, custom bumpers, Warn Powerplant, KC lights, B&M trans cooler, etc.
SlyDawg64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2015, 02:42 PM   #7
psheffern
2008 JK Wrangler 

ok i guess i have a project this weekend.....if the wife lets me with Easter and all....thanks guys

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.