tailgate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > tailgate

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-03-2008, 02:03 PM   #1
plk457
2007 JK Wrangler 

tailgate

I am sorry if this has been covered a million times but I can't seem to figure it out. I have tried the search function and also search engines and I can't find anythng. Correct me if I'm wrong but when one unlocks thier vehicle the tailgate unlocks as well, likewise when the doors are locked the tailgate locks...mine doesn't do either. Maybe it has been deprogrammed (?) or something similar? Can I get it back? It hasn't done this since I brought it home but never really cared. Now that I have thought about it I would at least like to know that I have the ability to lock the tailgate with my key fob. any ideas? Sorry if this has been covered before. Thanks all.

plk457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2008, 02:27 PM   #2
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

You need to push the button twice to unlock the tailgate when you open the door with the remote. Also, if you auto-lock and then get out, the tailgate stays locked even if you set the Jeep to auto-unlock the doors.

The idea is to keep the trunk locked (since it has that 1/2" worthless security trunk-ish space) as you enter and exit under the normal course of the day, i.e. you have to explicitly unlock the tailgate if you want it open.
Unread 06-03-2008, 02:28 PM   #3
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

By default - you have to hit the unlock button twice (quickly) to get all the other doors, including the tailgate, to unlock.

You can change this behavior by following the procedure in the owner's manual, to allow the fob to unlock everything with one button push.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2008, 02:48 PM   #4
plk457
2007 JK Wrangler 

...I understand that when you hit the unlock twice it is supposed to unlock the tailgate. I'm not trying to be a smart *** but follow this...Jeep locked/tailgate locked (manualy), press unlock button twice (or a million times for that matter) and the tailgate remains locked. Jeep unlocked/tailgate locked, press lock button and tailgate remains unlocked. Maybe I am just misunderstanding what should be happening. I was thinking that if I hit the lock button all three of my doors would lock...hit the unlock button once and unlock driver's door, twice in rapid succession and all doors unlock.
Unread 06-03-2008, 02:56 PM   #5
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by plk457 View Post
...I understand that when you hit the unlock twice it is supposed to unlock the tailgate. I'm not trying to be a smart *** but follow this...Jeep locked/tailgate locked (manualy), press unlock button twice (or a million times for that matter) and the tailgate remains locked. Jeep unlocked/tailgate locked, press lock button and tailgate remains unlocked. Maybe I am just misunderstanding what should be happening. I was thinking that if I hit the lock button all three of my doors would lock...hit the unlock button once and unlock driver's door, twice in rapid succession and all doors unlock.
Maybe locking things manually is screwing it up. I never lock my doors manually (dunno why I would) - but I know that with my wife's car, if you lock it manually, it throws it off.

Try this....unlock everything - with the fob.
Then lock everything with the fob.

See if that helps. If it doesn't....unlock everything with the fob. then, if anything remained locked, unlock it with the key. Then lock with the fob, then unlock with the fob....if that gets it back on track, then stop locking manually and you should be good to go.
Unread 06-03-2008, 03:02 PM   #6
Bouncer
2008 JK Wrangler 

First thing I did when I got my JK was disable all the auto functions. They where more annoying then useful..

Good luck..
RWC Front Light Bar, Painted Muffler, Vinyl’d Top Windshield, Husky Liners....
Bouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2008, 06:01 AM   #7
plk457
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Bouncer that was very helpful information about my problem. I will be sure to look you up the next time I have an issue. Texas Dog I will go out now and try all of those combos...hopefully that will solve it. I guess nobody else has had this problem? I was thinking that there was maybe some electric problem.
Unread 06-04-2008, 06:55 AM   #8
plk457
2007 JK Wrangler 

Ok, I tried all of Texasdog's suggestions and still not working. Guess it's time to head to the dealer...
Unread 06-04-2008, 10:14 AM   #9
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

So if i understand it, no matter what you do with the remote, the tailgate stays unlocked/locked...whatever it was originally?

You probably should check the wires to the rear locking mechanism. Sounds like the rear tailgate doesn't have power.
Unread 06-04-2008, 10:37 AM   #10
plk457
2007 JK Wrangler 

That is correct. My center tail light works though. Wouldn't that eliminate the power being the problem?
Unread 06-04-2008, 12:55 PM   #11
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

plk: sounds like the power lock on the tailgate is just not working.
Unread 06-04-2008, 01:02 PM   #12
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

Not necessarily. Just depends on where the wire fault is. heck, it could be the actual lock activator that is bad.

You could check by putting a meter on it right at the motor and see if it even gets any power.
Unread 06-05-2008, 06:10 AM   #13
plk457
2007 JK Wrangler 

I will give the meter a shot this evenng. And then to the dealer. Thanks all for the suggestions.
Unread 12-07-2013, 01:27 PM   #14
Psycho-X-Jeep
Free hugs <<< just ask!

2009 JK Wrangler 

Okay, sorry for digging up an old one, but I have the same issue. I bought the Jeep used and figured the tailgate wasn't power locked like the rest of the doors. Guess I was wrong Is this a normal issue with JKs, or will I need to check to see if the motor is getting power? Any other suggestions?
Psycho-X-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2013, 04:26 PM   #15
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho-X-Jeep View Post
Okay, sorry for digging up an old one, but I have the same issue. I bought the Jeep used and figured the tailgate wasn't power locked like the rest of the doors. Guess I was wrong Is this a normal issue with JKs, or will I need to check to see if the motor is getting power? Any other suggestions?
Does it lock/unlock with the keyfob?
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.