Synthetic winch cable? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Synthetic winch cable?

1 Ton Heavy Duty Steering Upgrade Kit. New and Improved dStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 03-05-2012, 06:58 AM   #1
BackroadN
2007 JK Wrangler 

Synthetic winch cable?

It's time for a new winch line and I wanted to ask everyone that is running the synthetic cable, what are the pro's and con's? Would you buy it again? What's the best brand to look at buying? I have a warn xd9000i. Thanks in advance.

BackroadN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 07:49 AM   #2
rubicube416

I use a synthetic winch rope on my 4 wheeler its a smaller warn winch but same concept, i put it on because i snapped the steel one durin the winter. But i put it on 3 yers ago left it on winter and summer use it all the tine and no problems cant even notice a difference, except in winter the synthetic works much much better

"If you don't stand behind our troops, Feel free to stand in front of them"
rubicube416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 07:50 AM   #3
rubicube416

As for the cons it can be cut and frayed easier then the steel cable...

"If you don't stand behind our troops, Feel free to stand in front of them"
rubicube416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #4
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

After a lot of research I decided on the Viking rope (http://winchline.com/). Hereís a short thread of mine regarding my switch from cable. Not much info but you can see what I bought from forum memberís recommendations. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/s...-rope-1315394/
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
rob_engineer
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I am not 100% certain but I think the synthetic cables can melt also. Not sure of what temperature. Probably ok everywhere except a manifold or cat converter temp. My company uses very high strength webbing at work and we use hot knives to cut it, so it does melt.
rob_engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
Joevacs
2010 JK Wrangler 

I went with MasterPull on the front. They are supposedly the best. On the rear I bought a cheaper brand on Ebay, and I can tell you there is a difference. It is showing signs of wear already from sunlight, whereas the Masterpull line is not.
On the plus side - lighter weight (40lb savings over metal ), won't weigh down the front end as much, much easier to pull out and handle, no corrosion issues to worry about, and it floats ( for what that's worth )

On the negative side - cost a lot more, is sensitive to UV light that causes failure, will fray on trees and debris.
Unread 03-05-2012, 08:41 AM   #7
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joevacs View Post

On the negative side... is sensitive to UV light that causes failure...
I rubbed my rope down with sun block so itís protected plus it gets a nice tan without burning.

Unread 03-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #8
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

^^^ Great idea, how long do you think that lasts for?
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #9
PhatJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

I use a winch cover to protect my synthetic line from UV.

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="White"][B]09 Unlimited Rubicon [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Teraflex 2.5" spring lift kit
ORFAB tire carrier
PhatJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #10
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Viking, Masterpull, etc. The quality brands are all sourcing their rope from the same manufacturer ---- and it is the best.

I recently bought my 90' of 7/16 Amsteel Blue line from SouthEast Overland. Call, talk to Steve, beg for a discount... ...that's what I did.

Synthetic line doesn't hold kinetic energy like a steel rope; won't snap back and take your head off if it breaks. It's lighter; the front of your Jeep will sit higher. It's easier to pull, doesn't give you steel spinters or cut your hands, and it's pretty. Yup; pretty --- my wife told me that.

We even have a synthetic winch line dog lead now (thanks, Steve...). Here's my wife with the dog; you gotta do these things when you're married so you can by snythetic rope for your truck...

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #11
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzalachis View Post
^^^ Great idea, how long do you think that lasts for?
I was just joking, not sure if you knew that. Now Iím starting to wonder if it would actually work but if not my rope would be the best smelling rope around bar none.
Unread 03-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #12
smcutter
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackroadN View Post
It's time for a new winch line and I wanted to ask everyone that is running the synthetic cable, what are the pro's and con's? Would you buy it again? What's the best brand to look at buying? I have a warn xd9000i. Thanks in advance.
The biggest argument against synthetic rope is that it's expensive and you'll never be able to go back. I had synthetic on my TJ, but now I have the steel cable that came with my Warn PowerPlant on my JK. I hate hate hate hate steel cable!! It is such a PITA to work with, it's kinking up after only three uses, it's dangerous, it's difficult to spool in, and it's difficult to spool out.

So yeah, go with Synthetic. As for brand, 1222 is right about Viking having a great reputation! Keep in mind that you'll need a new fairlead too!

More of a Tinkering Thread than a Build Thread (smcutter)

Colorado Jeep Club Member #302
Keep Calm and Chive On!
And for the record, I'm probably judging you for your bad grammar or spelling.
smcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #13
BackroadN
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have read nothing but good things about the synthetic rope and believe I'm heading down that road since my steel cable got trashed the other night. Just curious if anyone has had problems with it getting tangled up in the winch if it's not spooled up just right. I know to keep an eye on it but late nights and empty ice chest cause ***** to get overlooked sometimes. Kinda why I need a new one now!
Unread 03-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #14
BackroadN
2007 JK Wrangler 

And thanks for the replies y'all
Unread 03-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #15
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

If I remember correctly I thought I read somewhere that the rope will not get kinked like the cable will if not spooled correctly. Someone please correct me if Iím wrong.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.