Sway extensions? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Sway extensions?

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-20-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
FIRECAPT
2010 JK Wrangler 

Sway extensions?

I have been looking at several 2-2.5 inch suspension lift. Some include sway extensions, some not. What are you guys feelings on the need for these. Also same question on brake line brackets.

FIRECAPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
Lynhalla

2008 JK Wrangler 

What kind of wheeling you going to be doing? Extended sway bar links and brake line brackets allow you to have more articulation when going over obstacles and keep your tires on ground, therefore more traction. If it's mostly for looks and bigger tires and not trail riding, not a necessity.
RIPP stage 2 SC, Teraflex 6" lift, 37x13.5x18 Toyo OC MT, American Racing artillary wheels, Teraflex monster control arm, Teraflex drag link flip kit, Currie control arms, EVO axle sleeves and gussets, Fox 2.0 shocks, Tom Woods drive shafts, Eaton E-lockers front and rear, G2 5:13 gears, Synergy suspension tie rod and ball joints, synergy suspension sway bar disconnects, RR XHD front bumper, RR muffler and evap cannister skid plate, Body armor rear bumper and tire carrier, Nemesis tub armor and billy rockers, Bushwacker flat fender flares, mastercraft baja seats with corbeau 3 point harness, Warn 8000 winch, rigid LED lights, sprint booster throttle response module, spec stage 2+ clutch
Lynhalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
FIRECAPT
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by planman44
What kind of wheeling you going to be doing? Extended sway bar links and brake line brackets allow you to have more articulation when going over obstacles and keep your tires on ground, therefore more traction. If it's mostly for looks and bigger tires and not trail riding, not a necessity.
Some trail riding with some flexing, so I kind of feel a need for it.
FIRECAPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #4
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Longer sway bar links are to keep the anti swaybar in the level or neutral position for on road driving. If you have a non rubicon and do any type of off road low speed driving get adjustable disconnects for the front. Disconnecting will keep the wheels in contact with the terrain instead of lifting due to the axle being restrained by the sway bar.

Brake line extensions are a must if you lift and articulate the Jeep other wise you will risk ripping the brake line on the trail ,not good.

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #5
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
Longer sway bar links are to keep the anti swaybar in the level or neutral position for on road driving. .
and thats the only reason!

Good advice in the rest of this answer as well.
Unread 08-20-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop

and thats the only reason!

Good advice in the rest of this answer as well.
Actually that's not the only reason. If the end links are too short for the suspension travel, the sway bar can become bound up under full droop and the end link and end of the sway bar can get in line with each other and break the end link.

I believe there have even been recent threads with this very problem.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #7
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjw View Post
Actually that's not the only reason. If the end links are too short for the suspension travel, the sway bar can become bound up under full droop and the end link and end of the sway bar can get in line with each other and break the end link. BECAUSE THE NUETRAL POSITION IS NOT LEVEL TO THE GROUND SO THE TRAVEL IS STARTING TOO CLOSE TO THE EXTREME OF THE ARC...

I believe there have even been recent threads with this very problem.
I guess I stand corrected...

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.