Swapping Stock Head Unit for a Stock Touck Screen? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Swapping Stock Head Unit for a Stock Touck Screen?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-25-2010, 06:56 AM   #1
XLRATION
2010 JK Wrangler 

Swapping Stock Head Unit for a Stock Touck Screen?

Hello All.

I recently purchased a '10 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited and love it.
Unfortunately I had to take what was available on the lot and the one thing this Jeep lacked for me was a touch screen navigation head unit.
I put out a few feelers to get my hands on one to swap into my Jeep and I think I found one but......

I would like to know if I will run into any problems doing this? Will it be a direct swap or am I in for some issues? Does the radio contain computers that run airbags or security etc. like on some of the GM cars like my old Grand Prix?

Thanks in advance for any help.

1999 Pontiac Trans Am - moderately modded and tuned - 11.34 @ 122 (1.58 60')
XLRATION is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 07:20 AM   #2
buns79
2013 JK Wrangler 

should b a plug and play switch out, just be sure the unit you are getting is a high speed not a low speed unit and you will need a gps ant. good luck I also am looking at doing this let us know how it goes.
buns79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 07:46 AM   #3
XLRATION
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply and the tip about the antenna. I will have to inquire about it on the one I want to buy. I just assumed they were built in like on a portable GPS.

Also what are you referring to when you say "high speed" ?

1999 Pontiac Trans Am - moderately modded and tuned - 11.34 @ 122 (1.58 60')
XLRATION is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 08:13 AM   #4
buns79
2013 JK Wrangler 

high speed and low speed refers to the canbus speed, hard to explain i guess but the wrangler reguires the high speed unit. thank of it as the electronic handshake between the jeep and the nav unit...something to due with the computer also I assuming you already have sat. radio since your jeep is a sahara so you will be good there but if you dont have the Uconnect feature you will also need the mic kit to use that feature too.
buns79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
Vin
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm looking to do the same in the future. If you find a head unit at a decent price, please share. They are freaking expensive.
Vin is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.