Swapping 3.8-3.6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Swapping 3.8-3.6

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-18-2014, 10:54 AM   #1
blackwidow03
2010 JK Wrangler 

Swapping 3.8-3.6

I hydro locked my 3.8 and since I have to get a new motor, how hard would it be to swap to a 3.6?

blackwidow03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2014, 11:06 AM   #2
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

It would be very hard. The changes are so many, it would be a long, long list. It would be expensive, much more than to build a 3.8..
Unread 08-18-2014, 11:08 AM   #3
blackwidow03
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
It would be very hard. The changes are so many, it would be a long, long list. It would be expensive, much more than to build a 3.8..
Yeah I just did some research. Way too much to do to make the 3.6 fit. Looks like I'll be installing another 3.8L and getting a rugged ridge snorkel.
Unread 08-18-2014, 10:02 PM   #4
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwidow03 View Post
Yeah I just did some research. Way too much to do to make the 3.6 fit. Looks like I'll be installing another 3.8L and getting a rugged ridge snorkel.
I just read your report on what happened. That really sucks( pun intended). SO many people run these, i do not know why. Even after everyone tells them dont do it. Mall crawlers excepted. They do not even provide cold air. We(our local club plan to run Fordyce next year and i am REALLY thinking snorkel. I know people that have run it and got through, BUT when things go FUBAR its way to late to rethink it.

But sounds like you are getting a fresh mouse and now you can built it for the use of a reliable trail rig.
Unread 08-18-2014, 10:14 PM   #5
blackwidow03
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 222Doc View Post
I just read your report on what happened. That really sucks( pun intended). SO many people run these, i do not know why. Even after everyone tells them dont do it. Mall crawlers excepted. They do not even provide cold air. We(our local club plan to run Fordyce next year and i am REALLY thinking snorkel. I know people that have run it and got through, BUT when things go FUBAR its way to late to rethink it.

But sounds like you are getting a fresh mouse and now you can built it for the use of a reliable trail rig.
Thank you sir. My decision to go fast with an open element cold air intake was an expensive lesson. I would suggest the rugged ridge snorkel. That is what I will be getting. No chance of water getting in, and it is modular. Low profile hood mount, and a top of the roof mount for deep water.
Unread 08-19-2014, 06:13 AM   #6
pentastarguy
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

when you rebuild, have you considered looking into ripp mods for a supercharger?
pentastarguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.