Suspension upgrade for the weight of bumper and winch - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Suspension upgrade for the weight of bumper and winch

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 04-16-2012, 09:11 PM   #1
teeking

Suspension upgrade for the weight of bumper and winch

Hi All,

We just bought a new Unlimited Arctic Edition and we are planning to add a Warn bumper and winch. The total weight of the two will be 200 lbs or more, what can we do to keep the front end from sagging/losing clearance.

I am wondering if we can just replace the coils and the shocks?

We really don't want to touch the rear end if possible.

Thanks,

Tee

teeking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 09:34 PM   #2
jaxs1984
2009 JK Wrangler 

Hey welcome to the forum Those Arctic Edition are really nice looking. The cheapest solution would be to get some spacers. There are tons of companies that make them and range from 40. all the way to several hundred.
The companies are ARB, AEV, Rubicon , Teraflex... just goto http://www.quadratec.com/ and search spacers. You'll be overloaded with info

But, what I learned is that any mod is just the beginning and next thing you know you get obsessive. For example, I added a new bumper and winch which sag'd the front. So then I need a rear bumper/tire carrier to "level" it out. I then bought a 2.5' lift but it made my 32' tires seem "small" so now I'm looking at 33-35. Now I have the clearance to do some serious exploring but my 2DR is getting kind of tight with all the camping gear, etc... So now I'm debating if I need the 4DR...It never ends... Did I mention the underbody armor I know need

Congrats on the new Jeep
jaxs1984 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
buns79
2013 JK Wrangler 

Just get you some 3/4in or 1in coil spacers for the front end, no need to replace the coil unless your doing a lift. IMO
Good luck
2013 jku. Manual trans, 2.5in teraflex lift with 1in spacers,35in duratracs, soft top, ace rear bumper, poison Spyder front bumper, smittybuilt winch, 4:88s with eaton elockers front and rear. Spod, rigid LEDs, rugged ridge snorkel and the list goes on and on... 0lllllll0
buns79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #4
teeking

OK, I'll check out the spacers. Thanks for the quick responses!
teeking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 04:55 AM   #5
TheBoss
2012 JK Wrangler 

Spacers won't fix sag. The extra weight is compressing your coils you need a longer spring up front with a higher rate. If you only want to level it out without lifting the rear you should look into the Teraflex leveling kit with replacement coils. This will level the Jeep in relation to the back. Takes up the weight of the front bumper and winch. You can run up to a 33" tire on correctly backspaced rims without rubbing (in most cases).

[COLOR="Black"][CENTER][SIZE="4"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"][COLOR="Black"][URL="http://groups.jeepforum.com/built-not-bought/"][COLOR="Black"]Built Not Bought #690[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER][/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson[/COLOR][SIZE="2"][/SIZE]
TheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 05:02 AM   #6
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Spacers will prop up your front and make it "look correct" for sag/droop. They are the cheapest solution, but the correct one is to get new coils/springs, especially if you plan on using it offroad.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
eastncjeep
2009 JK Wrangler 

if you plan on adding a heavy rear bumper, you might want to factor that in as well.
Unread 04-17-2012, 09:28 AM   #8
wardo
2011 JK Wrangler 

Go with the RK 2.5 stock mod lift. levels the who set up out and gets you a lift. I have my RR xhd bumper on the front, adding the winch (just about done getting fixed) this weekend. Even with the bumper and the winch it doesn't drop the front that much and looks great. Spacers are cheap in every sense of the word. If you plan to ever lift it, do it now and do it right the first time. Best of luck and happy modding!!!
2011 Flame Red 2dr Wrangler Rubicon, Poison Spyder Evap Skid, Extended Breatherlines, 4' Firefly Antenna, Uniden Pro520xl, Rock Krawler 2.5 Stock Mod Lift, Bilstein 5100's, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper, Warn M8000, Rugged Ridge XHD Snorkel
wardo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
MudDuck99
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wardo View Post
Go with the RK 2.5 stock mod lift. levels the who set up out and gets you a lift. I have my RR xhd bumper on the front, adding the winch (just about done getting fixed) this weekend. Even with the bumper and the winch it doesn't drop the front that much and looks great. Spacers are cheap in every sense of the word. If you plan to ever lift it, do it now and do it right the first time. Best of luck and happy modding!!!
With the RK 2.5 stock mod lift, will I just need shocks to complete the lift?

Also, Would adding Unlimited coils to the front compensate for the extra weight?
MudDuck99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 04:57 PM   #10
HikerX
2014 WK 

I went through the same thing recently. ARB bumper + 10k winch + existing rake meant the front end would be pretty low. I talked with OME several times trying to determine what coil to try. I ended up with a spacer to start out with so that I could correct the exaggerated rake. With a spacer you can choose exactly how much to compensate with. Springs you need to factor in how much lift it's supposed to give with the added weight.

Longer term I'm going with coils but right now the spacer was easier to calculate. last thing I wanted was to use new coils up front and ride high up there.
HikerX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #11
MudDuck99
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikerXJ View Post
I went through the same thing recently. ARB bumper + 10k winch + existing rake meant the front end would be pretty low. I talked with OME several times trying to determine what coil to try. I ended up with a spacer to start out with so that I could correct the exaggerated rake. With a spacer you can choose exactly how much to compensate with. Springs you need to factor in how much lift it's supposed to give with the added weight.

Longer term I'm going with coils but right now the spacer was easier to calculate. last thing I wanted was to use new coils up front and ride high up there.
How big of a spacer did you use?
MudDuck99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 08:33 PM   #12
HikerX
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudDuck99 View Post
How big of a spacer did you use?
Rubicon Express 1.75" coil spring spacer from Quadratec. I probably could have gotten by with 1.5". When I chatted with the OME guys (ARB Technical support) they recommended the 2616 coil, which is listed as a 2" light load coil. With my added weight it might have leveled it out. But, $160+ for the coils was more of a gamble than I wanted to take at the time. Might still though...

Keep in mind if all you're trying to do is level out the front end, you shouldn't have to install new shocks that would match the height of the advertised lift. In my case, I gained back the rake the Jeep had in the first place, plus what the added weight did. If I netted 1.75" in height to the Jeep, then I would have considered new shocks that allowed for the extra height.
HikerX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #13
Jeffro06
October 2012 TJOTM

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Odds are your Jeep won't sag, immediately. Take measurement from the ground to your fender and keep that. Install the winch and bumper, drive it for awhile, like a few months. Let the springs do what they do. When it's sagging take that measurement again, it'll tell you how big of a spacer to get. I went with a 1" billet spacer from Rokmen for my TJ, they won't break down or wear out.

Rokmen Spacers

Moab Trails I've done: Onion Creek, Long Canyon, Dome Plateau, Top of The World (2), Fins-N-Things (2), Poison Spider,
Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge (2), Baby Lion Back, Cliff Hanger, Moab Rim, Kane Creek Canyon, Strike Ravine

Shortcuts to key points in my build: MTRk's OME 2" HD Lift Antirock Skidrow steering box & radiator skids LoD rear bumper
Rokmen Mercenary bumper w/Superwinch Rokmen sliders Skidrow engine skid Rampage Top CB set up
Custom trunk Rokmen 1" Billet spacers JJ track bar Rokmen Adjustable Control Arms Currectlync Steering
Rokmen Trail Corners Metalcloak Overlines Kentrol Hood Latches JK Turn Signals Xenon 4" Flat Flares Hood Decal Duratracs
Derale Tranny Cooler DieHard Factor 55 Thimble Ten Factory Front Chromo Shafts

Get your build sheet here.
Jeffro06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #14
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

My Jeep immediately sagged 3/4" when I added a metal bumper and winch. A spacer would just be a "band aid" for a sag. To "fix" a sag you need new springs (the shocks won't help with a sag - I still have my stock shocks, but new springs with no sag).
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2012, 09:37 PM   #15
ncb

What are the last two digits of the part number of the front coils? If you want to remain stock get a set of -19 coils and add a small spacer.
ncb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.