JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   JK Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/)
-   -   Suspension upgrade for the weight of bumper and winch (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/suspension-upgrade-weight-bumper-winch-1357683/)

teeking 04-16-2012 08:11 PM

Suspension upgrade for the weight of bumper and winch

Hi All,

We just bought a new Unlimited Arctic Edition and we are planning to add a Warn bumper and winch. The total weight of the two will be 200 lbs or more, what can we do to keep the front end from sagging/losing clearance.

I am wondering if we can just replace the coils and the shocks?

We really don't want to touch the rear end if possible.

Thanks,

Tee

jaxs1984 04-16-2012 08:34 PM

Hey welcome to the forum :) Those Arctic Edition are really nice looking. The cheapest solution would be to get some spacers. There are tons of companies that make them and range from 40. all the way to several hundred.
The companies are ARB, AEV, Rubicon , Teraflex... just goto http://www.quadratec.com/ and search spacers. You'll be overloaded with info :)

But, what I learned is that any mod is just the beginning and next thing you know you get obsessive. For example, I added a new bumper and winch which sag'd the front. So then I need a rear bumper/tire carrier to "level" it out. I then bought a 2.5' lift but it made my 32' tires seem "small" so now I'm looking at 33-35. Now I have the clearance to do some serious exploring but my 2DR is getting kind of tight with all the camping gear, etc... So now I'm debating if I need the 4DR...It never ends... Did I mention the underbody armor I know need :)

Congrats on the new Jeep

buns79 04-16-2012 08:35 PM

Just get you some 3/4in or 1in coil spacers for the front end, no need to replace the coil unless your doing a lift. IMO
Good luck

teeking 04-16-2012 08:48 PM

OK, I'll check out the spacers. Thanks for the quick responses!

TheBoss 04-17-2012 03:55 AM

Spacers won't fix sag. The extra weight is compressing your coils you need a longer spring up front with a higher rate. If you only want to level it out without lifting the rear you should look into the Teraflex leveling kit with replacement coils. This will level the Jeep in relation to the back. Takes up the weight of the front bumper and winch. You can run up to a 33" tire on correctly backspaced rims without rubbing (in most cases).

SubAtomicGenius 04-17-2012 04:02 AM

Spacers will prop up your front and make it "look correct" for sag/droop. They are the cheapest solution, but the correct one is to get new coils/springs, especially if you plan on using it offroad.

eastncjeep 04-17-2012 08:14 AM

if you plan on adding a heavy rear bumper, you might want to factor that in as well.

wardo 04-17-2012 08:28 AM

Go with the RK 2.5 stock mod lift. levels the who set up out and gets you a lift. I have my RR xhd bumper on the front, adding the winch (just about done getting fixed) this weekend. Even with the bumper and the winch it doesn't drop the front that much and looks great. Spacers are cheap in every sense of the word. If you plan to ever lift it, do it now and do it right the first time. Best of luck and happy modding!!!

MudDuck99 04-17-2012 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wardo (Post 13424098)
Go with the RK 2.5 stock mod lift. levels the who set up out and gets you a lift. I have my RR xhd bumper on the front, adding the winch (just about done getting fixed) this weekend. Even with the bumper and the winch it doesn't drop the front that much and looks great. Spacers are cheap in every sense of the word. If you plan to ever lift it, do it now and do it right the first time. Best of luck and happy modding!!!

With the RK 2.5 stock mod lift, will I just need shocks to complete the lift?

Also, Would adding Unlimited coils to the front compensate for the extra weight?

HikerX 04-18-2012 03:57 PM

I went through the same thing recently. ARB bumper + 10k winch + existing rake meant the front end would be pretty low. I talked with OME several times trying to determine what coil to try. I ended up with a spacer to start out with so that I could correct the exaggerated rake. With a spacer you can choose exactly how much to compensate with. Springs you need to factor in how much lift it's supposed to give with the added weight.

Longer term I'm going with coils but right now the spacer was easier to calculate. last thing I wanted was to use new coils up front and ride high up there.

MudDuck99 04-18-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HikerXJ (Post 13432118)
I went through the same thing recently. ARB bumper + 10k winch + existing rake meant the front end would be pretty low. I talked with OME several times trying to determine what coil to try. I ended up with a spacer to start out with so that I could correct the exaggerated rake. With a spacer you can choose exactly how much to compensate with. Springs you need to factor in how much lift it's supposed to give with the added weight.

Longer term I'm going with coils but right now the spacer was easier to calculate. last thing I wanted was to use new coils up front and ride high up there.

How big of a spacer did you use?

HikerX 04-18-2012 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MudDuck99 (Post 13432817)
How big of a spacer did you use?

Rubicon Express 1.75" coil spring spacer from Quadratec. I probably could have gotten by with 1.5". When I chatted with the OME guys (ARB Technical support) they recommended the 2616 coil, which is listed as a 2" light load coil. With my added weight it might have leveled it out. But, $160+ for the coils was more of a gamble than I wanted to take at the time. Might still though...

Keep in mind if all you're trying to do is level out the front end, you shouldn't have to install new shocks that would match the height of the advertised lift. In my case, I gained back the rake the Jeep had in the first place, plus what the added weight did. If I netted 1.75" in height to the Jeep, then I would have considered new shocks that allowed for the extra height.

Jeffro06 04-18-2012 07:55 PM

Odds are your Jeep won't sag, immediately. Take measurement from the ground to your fender and keep that. Install the winch and bumper, drive it for awhile, like a few months. Let the springs do what they do. When it's sagging take that measurement again, it'll tell you how big of a spacer to get. I went with a 1" billet spacer from Rokmen for my TJ, they won't break down or wear out.

Rokmen Spacers

http://www.rokmen.com/media/catalog/...cers_front.jpg

joe002 04-18-2012 08:06 PM

My Jeep immediately sagged 3/4" when I added a metal bumper and winch. A spacer would just be a "band aid" for a sag. To "fix" a sag you need new springs (the shocks won't help with a sag - I still have my stock shocks, but new springs with no sag).

ncb 04-18-2012 08:37 PM

What are the last two digits of the part number of the front coils? If you want to remain stock get a set of -19 coils and add a small spacer.

The time now is 02:02 PM.