Suspension change for more comfortable trail ride? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Suspension change for more comfortable trail ride?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 11-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #1
DesertPete
2010 JK Wrangler 

Suspension change for more comfortable trail ride?

I just spend a couple of weeks in Moab with my stock JK, riding "moderate" grade trails (ie Pucker Pass, not Poison Spider). My wife hated it. She pointed out that last year we rode the same trails in our Yamaha Rhino side-by-side and the ride was much more civilized and comfortable. Even the Jeep Liberty we had back then seemed to be an improvement over the JK. The JK tosses you from side to side and up and down while riding over rocky trails that the Rhino just glides across. Ok, in fairness, the Rhino tires have only 10 and 14 lbs of pressure. I dropped the JK's tire pressures down to 25 psi and that helped some. I could have gone lower but there were paved roads on the return trips and I was too lazy to keep adding pressure back. There are a lot of suspension options offered for JKs, but there isn't much information to with them to tell you what they are designed to do. I'm wondering if there might be something out there designed to keep the Jeep from bouncing so badly and tossing us around so much. I'd welcome advice from you folks who have much more experience with JKs than I do. Thanks!

DesertPete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

to the forum.

You are getting tossed side to side because you still had the swaybar links connected. Unhooking them will make a huge improvement with being tossed side to side. Also you still could have let out more psi in your tires for an even more comfortable ride.

EDIT: Shocks can make a big difference too.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
DustinS
2011 JK Wrangler 

Being a twin live axle suspension design, it can only be so comfortable. It's rough, it's rudimentary, but it's bulletproof.

That said, a quality lift like a 2" OME may increase ride comfort due to the extra suspension travel allowed.
Unread 11-26-2011, 03:23 PM   #4
Karl
2012 JK Wrangler 

It's the air, mostly

Your tire pressure was too high: 25 psi could be consider low highway pressure, for tires that commonly are inflated to 30 or 35 psi for on-road use. You should have aired down to the 10-14 psi range. That would have made a far more noticeable difference in your ride.

If you also didn't disconnect your swaybar, you had more swaying that you otherwise would have.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2011, 04:09 PM   #5
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl
Your tire pressure was too high: 25 psi could be consider low highway pressure, for tires that commonly are inflated to 30 or 35 psi for on-road use. You should have aired down to the 10-14 psi range. That would have made a far more noticeable difference in your ride.

If you also didn't disconnect your swaybar, you had more swaying that you otherwise would have.
I agree completely.

Sent by Paper Planes

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2011, 04:30 PM   #6
Karl
2012 JK Wrangler 

Clarification

I should have noted that the increase in comfort in airing down from, say, 35 psi to 25 psi is much less than in going from 25 psi to 15 psi.

The first decrease of 10 psi takes you from a very firm tire to a tire that feels a little underinflated. The next ten takes you from that to a tire that's soft and conforms to the shape of obstacles.

(Go another ten and your tires become Silly Putty.)
Unread 11-30-2011, 10:07 PM   #7
DesertPete
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks to all; that's a big help!

Ok, so disconnect the sway bar links (I'd thought that meant anti sway bar); lower the air pressure another ten pounds, and look into a 2" OME lift kit for its longer suspension travel, and/or replacement shocks. I can do that.

This may sound odd, but with 10-15 lbs of air in the tires is there much of a chance they will come off the beads (I do carry some WD-40 and matches, just in case...)

Thanks again!
Unread 11-30-2011, 10:23 PM   #8
Karl
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertPete View Post
Ok, so disconnect the sway bar links (I'd thought that meant anti sway bar); lower the air pressure another ten pounds, and look into a 2" OME lift kit for its longer suspension travel, and/or replacement shocks. I can do that.

This may sound odd, but with 10-15 lbs of air in the tires is there much of a chance they will come off the beads (I do carry some WD-40 and matches, just in case...)

Thanks again!
Swaybars and anti-swaybars are two terms for the same thing (something like the way "fat chance" and "slim chance" are equivalents). Yes, just disconnect the swaybars.

You shouldn't have any problem with 15 psi; I haven't seen anyone lose a bead at that pressure, though I've seen it happen (still uncommon) at 10 psi.
Unread 12-01-2011, 06:07 AM   #9
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Don't rely on wd40, now that they use c02 as a propellant it's extremely difficult to ignite

Sent by Paper Planes

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2011, 09:44 AM   #10
DesertPete
2010 JK Wrangler 

Good catch

Spyder6 wrote: "Don't rely on wd40, now that they use c02 as a propellant it's extremely difficult to ignite."

Dang. That is good to know. I thought it used butane. What's next, hair spray?

Karl wrote: You shouldn't have any problem with 15 psi

Thanks again.http://cdn.jeepforum.com/forum/image...s/HIGHFIVE.gif
Unread 12-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #11
MikeHoncho88
2015 JK Wrangler 

My opinion is the rough side to side action you described has more to do with a solid axle vs. the two independent suspension vehicles you drove previous. i have always noticed a rougher ride over certain terrain in a solid front axle vehicle.
Unread 12-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #12
Irongrave
1992 YJ Wrangler 

if you plan on wheeling a lot i highly suggest getting a suspension style seat. Matercraft, Coberue, PRP, ect they make a world of difference wheeling
1997 TJ, Dad's Claytons 4:88s and stuff A TJ for Dad
1992 YJ crawler, getting 60s. Build thread the illusion of progress
North Jersey Jeep Club, AtoZ Fabrication, Rozzo Fabrication
Irongrave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2011, 08:56 PM   #13
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

It's been beat to death, but get some 35's and put them around 18PSI and enjoy. The sway bar disco will help too.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2011, 10:18 PM   #14
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

One more important thing is your shocks.
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2014, 11:25 AM   #15
DesertPete
2010 JK Wrangler 

Advice appreciated and taken

Thanks for all the good advice. A year ago I had an AEV Dual Sport suspension system installed. Dual rate springs matched to Bilstein shocks with 2 1/2 inch lift and geo correction bracket. Also added a steering stabilizer and JKS "quicker disconnects" on the sway bar. I haven't been back to Moab yet, but did a 9000 mile trip through Canada and Alaska since then. Much improved. Now looking for bigger tires which I will run aired down as many of you suggested. Thanks again.

Tags
comfort , jk , ride , suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.