Surviving the Frozen Northern Yankee Wasteland: ArticRubi's Build Thread - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 674 Old 09-15-2011, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Surviving the Frozen Northern Yankee Wasteland: ArticRubi's Build Thread

So after my first project, and with a 2nd coming up soon, I decided it was about time I started a build thread.

The first install was pretty easy, so I have only include "after" pictures. Everyone know what stock Rubicon bumpers look like, so I won't bore anyone with that. I installed front and rear bumpers from Poison Spyder Customs, both of them are from the Rock Brawler line. Also, I installed a Warn 9.5cti winch. Went with this one because is is supposedly the most water resistant winch on the market right now. The installation instructions were so complete and thorough, I haven't posted any pictures of the process, just the final product. The bumpers are high quality, welds look perfect, and they are extremely strong, I feel like I'd warp the frame before the bumpers would ever be damaged. So, on to the pictures:

Full front:

1/4 front:

Front side:

Winch:

Rear:

Rear 1/4:

Rear side:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Need parts? Need product advice? Contact Jason at
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 674 Old 09-15-2011, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

The Dilemma...

So, bumpers installed? check.
Winch installed? check.
Crap! Stubby bumper with a huge trail stinger makes my stock rubi look TINY!
Solution? Build.

So I put together my parts list, and placed orders for:
*Rock Krawler 3.5" Mid-Arm Flex kit
*Rock Krawler 2.0 Emulsion shocks
*XD Series 778 Monster rims (black) 18"x9"
*Nitto Trail Grappler's 35"x12.5" R18
*Superior Axle 4.88 gears for Dana44
*Poison Spyder Bombshell front and rear differential covers
*Poison Spyder evap. skid plate kit
*Superchips programmer
*Teraflex 3rd brake light extension kit

Unfortunately, there is a back order on the diff covers, and I won't get them until mid to late October Everything else should be in by the end of the month. I've decided to go ahead and install the lift and rim/tire combo. Since it's a rubi, the stock 4.10's should hold up fine for a few weeks until my new diff covers come in. I'll just have to resist the urge to stay off the trails until I can re-gear. Ideally, I would have done the gear swap on one weekend, and then done the lift kit on the next, but I'm not going to take the diff covers off twice.

Will post more when parts arrive!

post #3 of 674 Old 09-15-2011, 07:29 PM
wravyn
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Honestly you should be fine on the trail with 4:10s and 35s until the 4.88s come in.

2006 TJ Rubicon; 3 in. Teraflex lift on 33x10x16 BFG KM2s, ARB Snorkel, XRC Bumpers, Warn M8000 Winch, Extreme Hi-Lift Jack, KC Slimlites, Banks Monster Exhaust system, K&N Air Filter

post #4 of 674 Old 09-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Vinscap
2011 JK Wrangler 

Love the front bumper. Just put on PSC Brawler lite with bar and rear Brawler with tire carrier. Like you said I feel like it would bend the frame rails before it damaged the bumpers. They are SOLID!

Great looking Jeep. Good luck with the build.
post #5 of 674 Old 09-15-2011, 08:48 PM
RIP John

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinscap View Post
...Like you said I feel like it would bend the frame rails before it damaged the bumpers...
Probably best that the bumper bends instead of the frame.
post #6 of 674 Old 09-15-2011, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222 View Post
Probably best that the bumper bends instead of the frame.
This is true....but it is definitely a testament to how well made the PSC products are.

post #7 of 674 Old 09-15-2011, 08:56 PM Thread Starter
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Love the front bumper. Just put on PSC Brawler lite with bar and rear Brawler with tire carrier. Like you said I feel like it would bend the frame rails before it damaged the bumpers. They are SOLID!

Great looking Jeep. Good luck with the build.
I almost got the Brawler lite, looks like a great system. I'd love to see some pics of it installed on your rig.

post #8 of 674 Old 09-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood0125 View Post
This is true....but it is definitely a testament to how well made the PSC products are.
Don't fool yourself - bent gussets, cracked welds (PSC brawler lite):

Still a good bumper, but it will be much better after I have rewelded, added extra gussets, and go easier on it because I'm now off the kool-aid.

Subscribed - look forward to your build

Mike

Edit: Also - your 4.10s are just fine with your 6-speed on the trail (your rock-trac TC will do plenty) and road, provided your A/C is turned off before accellerating from a stop. Have been running on mine for a few big trips, and driven about 9500-10000 miles since december over the road. That being said, my 5.13s were just ordered, so cheers to you for getting it done early
post #9 of 674 Old 09-15-2011, 09:57 PM
Charles
2017 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by molshove View Post
Don't fool yourself - bent gussets, cracked welds (PSC brawler lite):

How did you bend that? Please don't reply: "I applied more pressure than the material could withstand." haha, did you use the stinger as a stinger? I'm looking for someone that's actually used a stinger the way it was intended to be used.

2017 TrailHawk Hemi, Everything but the TV's.
post #10 of 674 Old 09-15-2011, 10:12 PM
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbloyer81

How did you bend that? Please don't reply: "I applied more pressure than the material could withstand." haha, did you use the stinger as a stinger? I'm looking for someone that's actually used a stinger the way it was intended to be used.
A felled tree...it was used as it is meant to be used, but only gusseted well enough to make it look good. Winch mount (behind brawler bar) bent about 30 * past 90...damaged a crappy Chinese winch
post #11 of 674 Old 09-15-2011, 10:41 PM
RIP John

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah I donít doubt that they are well made just thought Iíd through that in there.
post #12 of 674 Old 09-16-2011, 04:38 AM
Vinscap
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I almost got the Brawler lite, looks like a great system. I'd love to see some pics of it installed on your rig.
dwood0125 - I'll post some pics but the one you chose is awesome. After your build I'm thinking your only regret will be not getting the rear tire carrier. It is great for tires that are 35" +.
post #13 of 674 Old 09-16-2011, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
dwood0125 - I'll post some pics but the one you chose is awesome. After your build I'm thinking your only regret will be not getting the rear tire carrier. It is great for tires that are 35" +.
I've thought about that, I really waffled on the tire carrier before I ordered. I decided to run the extension kit for the factory mount, and 3rd brake light extension kit from teraflex. Good news is if I don't like the extension kit, PSC will sell me the tire carrier, I'll just have to weld on the bracket for the latch....and of course, waste money on a 2nd powder coat and shipping.

post #14 of 674 Old 09-16-2011, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
ArticRubi
Arrogant SOB

2008 JK Wrangler 

Molshove - surprised to see that. Went back out, and the stinger definitely looks like it is the weak link. Going to look at adding some tube from the rear of the stinger to the top rear of the bumper. Just bought a welder, so It would be nice to do something worth while with it!

post #15 of 674 Old 09-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Mol

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwood0125
Molshove - surprised to see that. Went back out, and the stinger definitely looks like it is the weak link. Going to look at adding some tube from the rear of the stinger to the top rear of the bumper. Just bought a welder, so It would be nice to do something worth while with it!
That's exactly what I had in mind let me know what you end up doing!

Edit: or I can play guinea pig, being that your is still shining and mines been beat on...duh lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.