superchips vs. Procal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > superchips vs. Procal

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail TJ, YJ and CJ A/T Fender Flares available @ Oconee Off-Roa*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*

Unread 03-10-2010, 10:30 PM   #1
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

superchips vs. Procal

Someone help me try to decide if I should spend double the amount of money on a superchip or if the procal does about the same thing for half the price.

From looking at both the features it seems like they do just about the same amount of stuff....

someone help me out.

My Build Thread
JK Tech
mattman8706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
ribs
2007 JK Wrangler 

The procal says it has one touch lane change? what is that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGrant View Post
...And no the truck dont give BJs but guess you are not married as wifes dont give them either. :rolleyes:
ribs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2010, 11:01 PM   #3
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

when you just kind of pull the turn signal a little bit and don't engage it all the way it flashes 3 times for lane change.

the procal can turn that off if you don't want it.

My Build Thread
JK Tech
Unread 03-10-2010, 11:15 PM   #4
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The Procal has absolutely none of the performance tuning improvements found in the Superchips. The only thing it can do is read or modify your factory features.

Procal does nothing for the mushy feeling 42RLE transmission that constantly downshifts and hunts for gears, usually requiring you to turn off the OD completely.

Procal does nothing for the lag in the throttle that requires you to give it 1" or more of throttle just to get the vehicle to move.

Procal has modern to the 1970's DIP switch technology that requires you to read the book carefully and properly set the tiny DIP switches in sequence depending on which feature you want to modify.

Flashpaq is completely modern, plug and play with USB interface for quick and easy updates directly from Superchips and simple 5 button interface.

From the documentation, the only thing the Procal can do that the Superchips can't is modify the Daytime Running Lamps and disable/enable one touch turn signals, and steering wheel centering.

Honestly, I don't have daytime running lights, and the factory turn signals are just fine. So those features are worthless to me. It also doesn't take a genius to properly center the steering wheel without the gadget.
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2010, 11:50 PM   #5
Spokalu
2009 JK Wrangler 

I have the procal, it serves its purpose (speedo calculation, tpms and dtrl). Buddy has superchips and is looking to sell it as the tunes made the engine surge. We both have manual trans, so the shift point adjustments are mute point for us.
Spokalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2010, 11:54 PM   #6
Slow_Lane
2010 JK Wrangler 

I just bought the procal. It has not come yet. Right now I just need to adjust Speedo for the 33's. Procal cost me 114.00. I wish I had more money for mods but I don't. I will turn on DRL if I can once it arrives.
Unread 03-11-2010, 07:12 AM   #7
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asknight View Post
The Procal has absolutely none of the performance tuning improvements found in the Superchips. The only thing it can do is read or modify your factory features.

Procal does nothing for the mushy feeling 42RLE transmission that constantly downshifts and hunts for gears, usually requiring you to turn off the OD completely.

Procal does nothing for the lag in the throttle that requires you to give it 1" or more of throttle just to get the vehicle to move.

Procal has modern to the 1970's DIP switch technology that requires you to read the book carefully and properly set the tiny DIP switches in sequence depending on which feature you want to modify.

Flashpaq is completely modern, plug and play with USB interface for quick and easy updates directly from Superchips and simple 5 button interface.

From the documentation, the only thing the Procal can do that the Superchips can't is modify the Daytime Running Lamps and disable/enable one touch turn signals, and steering wheel centering.

Honestly, I don't have daytime running lights, and the factory turn signals are just fine. So those features are worthless to me. It also doesn't take a genius to properly center the steering wheel without the gadget.
I have a buddy with the procal and he says it does get rid of the throttle lag and it also adjust the transmission so it doesn't downshift/ hunt for gears.

He is running 37s with 4.10s and says it feels like stock

My Build Thread
JK Tech
Unread 03-11-2010, 07:40 AM   #8
SaharaBlackNo1
2007 JK Wrangler 

He corrected it for the gear and tire size so it should shift better, but it definitely won't add any performance. I had the Hypertech and thought it was good, most seem to think the Superchips is better, but the Procal for the cost is great, and best of all it takes 2 seconds for each change you make, no waiting on programming, etc. So if you want performance, spend the money, if you really just want to get everything adjusted properly and quickly, go with the Procal.

Mini hijack, Anyone have the DiabloSport Predator or Trinity? Trinity is about $600 bucks, but can apparently allow for real reprogramming of the ECU by a good tuner. I have a PM in to RIPP to see if the Trinity will allow for the removal of their black box, to really program the Jeep and pull the most out of it, without the ECU ever freaking out.
AEV: Hood, Skidplate & Bumper, jackstand and Badging Expedition One Rear Bumper,RE 4.5" Long Arm Kit,5.13s, Black Riddler Diff Covers, Hypertech Airaid CAI, PIAA 540s w/flush mounted switch, Flowmaster 40, 325/60/22 BFGs and the list goes on...
SaharaBlackNo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 07:45 AM   #9
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

hmmm... I don't really care about performance that much.. It is a jeep not a sports car. And the 3.8 has enough power for me.

I see there is a tune for better gas mileage though.... maybe that would be worth it.

My Build Thread
JK Tech
Unread 03-11-2010, 08:16 AM   #10
PartyBarge
2008 JK Wrangler 

Since the Superchips is ridiculously expensive and does not add cylinders to my engine, I bought the Procal. Love it.
Unread 03-11-2010, 09:04 AM   #11
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyBarge View Post
Since the Superchips is ridiculously expensive and does not add cylinders to my engine, I bought the Procal. Love it.
thats where I am at...

$120 or $350...

My Build Thread
JK Tech
Unread 03-11-2010, 09:08 AM   #12
PartyBarge
2008 JK Wrangler 

Spend the $120. I've never seen anyone with the Superchips brag about all their "newfound power" while on the trail doing 5mph.
Unread 03-11-2010, 09:10 AM   #13
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman8706 View Post
thats where I am at...

$120 or $350...
It's more like $120 or $285 (Truck Customizers use code WINTER10 before March 31st and FREE SHIPPING).
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #14
mattman8706
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartyBarge View Post
Spend the $120. I've never seen anyone with the Superchips brag about all their "newfound power" while on the trail doing 5mph.
true

I don't care about power on the road. It's not like I need to go any faster than 65 or 70..

.....welllllll the extra power might be nice when I am driving through the mountains of colorado... hmmm

My Build Thread
JK Tech
Unread 03-11-2010, 09:30 AM   #15
owtdorz
2009 JK Wrangler 

I bought the Procal.
The price was right and chip performance is not worth it to me.
Besides I know of 3 vehicles that fried the ECU because of chips.
I like my Lifetime Warranty.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.