Superchips installed today.... Review - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Superchips installed today.... Review

XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 02-14-2010, 11:54 AM   #1
GEM1N1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Superchips installed today.... Review

Let me start by saying that I do not work nor am I affiliated with Superchips company in anyway and furthermore have been a long time skeptic of programmers...... With that said, on with my review....

As the title states. OMFG!!!! This is the absolute best $300 you will ever spend on your JK. I am officially a believer!!!

Install - B(only for not being Mac compatible) - After my Mac and superchip fight the install itself is very straight forward and only took about 15 minutes.

Transmission - A - What this thing does for the factory automatic is unbelievable. It feels like the old shift kits we used to put in our classic hotrods. One of my complaints about my rubi when I bought it was you had to nearly floor it to get it to down shift when passing. Not anymore. Superchips really did their homework on this one. Shifts are firm and seem to happen at the right moment and rpm.

Throttle response - A+ - The throttle lag is gone and the throttle response is great.

Power - A++ - Why the hell is chrysler not tuning these things from the factory this way. I took my rubi for a 30 minute drive after install and Holy Cow!!! Acceleration is massively improved and at highway speeds this thing rocks! At one point I look down and I'm doing 100mph.... Am I really in a Jeep???? This thing really seems to pull throughout the rpm range. Torque feels greatly improved!

I am only running the 87 octane tune and have no plans on even trying any of the others. This is absolutely the best mod I have ever added to a jeep. (I have added CAI's and exhausts to my TJ's) I am truly impressed, maybe because I went into it thinking that I was just going to improve my shift points. Anyways, I would definatly recommend doing this to all of your JK's. For those of you waiting on the new pentastar motors.... My recommendation is to save thousands on a used JK and spend $300 on a Superchips Programmer!!!!

Missouri Concealed Carry Permit
Kansas Concealed Carry Permit
www.KcConcealedCarry.com
GEM1N1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Sounds good. Where's the link to the chip?

What are the potential nagatives for the Jeep? Engine, tranny, anything? What you say sounds too good to be true. What's the catch?
Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
GEM1N1
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstrike View Post
Sounds good. Where's the link to the chip?

What are the potential nagatives for the Jeep? Engine, tranny, anything? What you say sounds too good to be true. What's the catch?
Superchips Flashpaq - 2007 - 2009 Wrangler JK 3.8L, (X, Sport, Sahara, Rubicon, Unlimited)
Link is where I bought mine. Cheapest I found and free shipping that arrived in two days.

I know. LOL. I wouldn't believe it either if I hadn't drivin it myself. It really is hard to believe what this programmer does. It's not going to substitute a Hemi swap by any means but it definately makes it feel like a decent V-6 should feel. I mean come on.... 100mph without really working to do it... I'm sold.
Missouri Concealed Carry Permit
Kansas Concealed Carry Permit
www.KcConcealedCarry.com
GEM1N1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
dirtyjpwrangler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderstrike View Post
What's the catch?
I don't have it but I'm gonna guess that gas mileage could decrease a lot with this chip..

OP have you noticed any differences in MPG?
Unread 02-14-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
BAMAJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Let us know how it does on fuel mileage for the next couple of tanks. I like the idea of the programmer, but my Jeep sucks the fuel as it is.
BLUE JEEP #237
BAMAJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 01:42 PM   #6
MarcM
2008 JK Wrangler 

I am currently running mine on the 91 Tune. The response is even better than the 87 Tune, which I ran for a few tanks. I noticed a 2mpg increase in the 87 tune, and about the same on the 91 tune. My milage has since gone down a little, but I attribute that to my tires getting worn and missing some chunks from the tread. I anticipate the mpg to go up, possibly even higher than the bast I have had so far when I put some new KM II's on.

I agree, this will be the biggest bang for $300.00 you can find
MarcM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
boostedboxer
2010 JK Wrangler 

hmm interesting
boostedboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 02:01 PM   #8
OregonVette
2008 JK Wrangler 

Wow. Anybody else do this?

I have a 6 spd manual. Would there be any noticable improvement in seat of pants feel?

Can the pistons and the feeble tolerances of our V6 engine handle this increase?
It's hard to give you good advice at this point. It's almost like you're saying, "I want to have sex, but don't want to get her pregnant. I can't afford condoms, so for now I just want to use Saran Wrap. What brand would you recommend?"
OregonVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 02:33 PM   #9
1fast400
2008 JK Wrangler 

I bought a used JK with this already on it. I'd hate to see how slow this thing would be without it (assuming it is this much of an improvement). I know the 20/35's kill the power, but good grief.
1fast400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 02:41 PM   #10
jnorton1
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have it on my 07.I am running the 91 tune now and used the towing tune for a 600 mile treck. I was happy with the results. Most people see an improvement in mpg (when it is driven normal)
2.5 BB
Gibson Exhaust
Airraid Intake
jnorton1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 03:29 PM   #11
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't expect a decrease in mileage at all. With this mod, it sounds like the engine will be lugging less, therefore it's working less.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #12
MattJK09
2009 JK Wrangler 

Congrats! This may be in my near future as well...
Unread 02-14-2010, 04:26 PM   #13
JeffinWesternWA
2010 JK Wrangler 

I don't beleive 2mpg, typically stock tune will often give you best mpg but, the aftermarkets do often get the timing/TPS/leaner mix to optimum settings provided your ignition/fuel sys is "top notch",... w/ a 6speed and stock tires/3:73's etc., I'd only be interested in 87 Oct tune IF mpg was increased. But, after using and programming (w/ assistance) w/ several different cars (LT'1s, LS-1's etc.,) over the years the cost/benefit (unless you need reprogramming for tires/gears and/or have an auto trans -definite benefit there) is minimal or negative...others have exprience on newer JK's to chime in??? With the stick and 3:73's my "bog/hesitation" on my '10 is VERY minimal....
Unread 02-14-2010, 05:15 PM   #14
Woodchuck

2008 JK Wrangler 

100 MPH...Are you serious? I can barely get mine over 80. I don't have a chip or anything but 20 more MPH? Not that I have a need to go 100 but more passing power on the higway sure would be nice.
'08 Red Rock Unlimited Rubicon / AEV 2.75" Lift with Remote Reservoir Shocks / AEV Heat Reduction Hood / AEV Front & Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier / AEV Skidplates & Rear Corner Guards / Riddler Diff Covers / Mopar Enhanced Rock Rails / Warn 9.5ti Winch / Mopar Gas Cap Cover / 4.88 Gears / IPF 900xs Drive Beams / Eagle Eye HID Spotlights / Daniel Stern Headlights / 17" AEV Pintler Wheels with 35x12.5r17 BFG Mud-Terrain KM2's / Tuffy Security Drawer / sPod and Benchmark Dual Battery System / Cobra 75 CB / Lockpick with Front and Rear Cameras / Katzkin Heated Seats / Line-X Interior / Hitchsafe Key Vault / and a Trasharoo and a lot more little stuff or just stuff I forgot!!!

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)-o-)_)
Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #15
jnorton1
2007 JK Wrangler 

There is a hundered some page thread on another forum discussing the flashpaq. It is not yet available for 2010's. It greatly improves highway driving and passing ability.
2.5 BB
Gibson Exhaust
Airraid Intake
jnorton1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flashpaq , JK Wrangler , oppinion , review , reviews , superchip , superchips , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.