Superchips Flashcal Experience and Thoughts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Superchips Flashcal Experience and Thoughts

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 09-15-2014, 09:13 AM   #1
TexanTJ
Uncensored & Honest

2014 JK Wrangler 

Superchips Flashcal Experience and Thoughts

After installing 315/70/17 BFG All Terrains a few months ago on our Jeep, I have noticed a slight decrease in performance and transmission shifting behavior.

I do not drive the Jeep daily, so my experiences with it are on a weekend only basis (wife's daily driver).

Symptoms:
1) After installing the larger tire, the speedometer was reading slow
2) After installing the larger tire, the odometer was reading slow
3) After installing the larger tire, the Lie-O-Meter was reading an average of 13 mpg.
4) After installing the larger tire, the "estimated fuel range guage" was reading extremely low, to the point that with a 1/4 tank of fuel left it was reading "lo fuel"
5) After installing the larger tire, the tires had to be inflated to approx 40psi to not trip the tpms idiot light. The overinflation resulted in the center of the tread makeing the majority of contact with the road. This would eventually lead to premature tire wear.

I decided I needed to correct the above issues and had settled on an AEV Procal, or the Superchips flashcal. They both seemed easy enough to operate, would cure all of my symptoms, and were similar in price.

I favored the display screen on the flashcal over the dip switches on the AEV, but was open to either. I went to my go-to place for ordering things, which is Amazon.com as I am a prime member.

Amazon offered only the flashcal, so this is what I decided to order. It was $159 with free shipping, but I opted to splurge on the "get it tomorrow" rush shipping that was $3 more. I placed my order on Thursday at 4:50 pm, and it was delivered via UPS at 2:30 the next day. Amazons freaky fast shipping never ceases to amaze me.

Upon opening the package, there was:
-the flashcal unit
-Some superchips decals that I will not be sticking on the Jeep.
-An instruction Manual
-A USB cord

The instruction manual advises to update the unit via a free download on the superchips website using their "Spark Software Updater".

I downloaded the program and plugged the unit into my computer. The computer could not find the driver, nor could it recognize the Flashcal. I realized that my lovely work computer was blocking the automatic driver download so I set off to do it on my PC.

On my PC the program quickly recognized the flashcal, and all was well. It's not the most advanced software, but it works so I have no complaints. Upon plugging it in, I was told that it was already up to date, and I could install two additional programs.
1) The Offroad TPMS Program (which i believe changes the TPMS threshold to zero) This one was free, so after entering my name and email it downloaded to my device.
2) The Flashpaq tuning software. $179 and includes the performance tunes. I did not download this.

I then went to the garage an plugged the unit into the Jeep. Easy enough. It goes through its boot process, and then displays the Jeep logo before bringing me to the main menu.

Main Menu has the following-
Diagnostics
Vehicle Functions
Tuner Info and Settings

I went in to the vehicle functions where after a few pushes of the buttons and some on/off movements of the ignition key, my tuning was complete.

I was able to set the TPMS to its "Offroad" Setting that brings the PSI threshhold down to zero.

I was able to set my tire size in 1/4" increments. I set mine to 33.25 after measuring the BFGs.

I was able to turn my fog lights on while high beams are on.

I was able to set the acc timeout (radio) to 10 mins after the ignition is shut off. (good for tailgating, camping, driveway music, ect)

All this was done in about 10 minutes time. After completion, I toyed around with the high idle feature that was pretty neat. Not sure if I'll ever use it on the Jeep since you have to have the Flashcal with you and plugged in, but neat none the less.

I then did the "chalk test" or "water test to identify the best psi to run in the tires. I came to 22psi, to give even treadwear. Later that evening we took the Jeep for a drive to meet up with family for dinner plans. Approx 45 mile round trip.

I immediately noticed the the Jeep no longer had the tendency to "lug" in a gear too low. Downshifting and gear hunting on slight grade in road was now nonexistant. Lie O Meter was averaging 19.5 mpg with my light foot, and speedometer seemed accurate (I will later test by gps). TPMS idiot light was also off.

My overall review is that this was money well spent, simply on the shift characteristics alone. It is also nice to have the tires inlfated to a proper psi, giving me a little piece of mind that the BFGs will have to longest treadlife possible. I would reccommend this product to any folks looking to solve the issues that I was experienceing.

And a poser shot...

TexanTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2014, 09:17 AM   #2
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Great review, pretty much mirrors my experience.
Unread 09-15-2014, 08:39 PM   #3
HighandLow
Stay Frosty...

2010 JK Wrangler 

"I was able to turn my fog lights on while high beams are on."

I have a flashpaq for my 2010. I didn't know it had that function. Where is it on the menu?
Unread 09-15-2014, 10:06 PM   #4
Bear9494
2011 JK Wrangler 

I had the same experience. I do upgrade mine and have tried the performance tunes. Mine is a manual '11 running 31.75" tires and 3.21 gears. Yeah I know regear. Its in the works. I ran the 91 octane tune (don't remember the true name) and on flat ground running 87 octane not bad. Pinged going up hills so began to run 91 octane. I like the new power. I pull grades in 5th rather than 4th. Yes highly unscientific but you get what ya paid for in advice. Lol. I realize my added cost in fuel but its a Jeep and it cares not about "my" finances.
Bear9494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2014, 04:49 AM   #5
TexanTJ
Uncensored & Honest

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighandLow View Post
"I was able to turn my fog lights on while high beams are on."

I have a flashpaq for my 2010. I didn't know it had that function. Where is it on the menu?
From main menu I went to vehicle functions.

Then scrolled all the way down, 2nd from the bottom.

If these options are not on your flashcal I'd try updating it via the spark software.
Unread 09-16-2014, 10:24 AM   #6
oconee offroad
Consulting Jeep Needs

1981 CJ7 

Superchips has some great products for what you pay. The Trail Dash is well worth the money, as well as the flashcal or flashpaq....

Visit our retail store & 8 Bay Install Shop!
ATHENS, GEORGIA 30606
THE BEST OFF ROAD SHOP IN THE CLASSIC CITY
We carry the Largest assortment of Jeep Restoration Parts and After Market Accessories from 1941-2015 at low prices!
WE PRICE MATCH COMPETITORS!!!!!

Call to Order 706-534-9955
9-6 M-F 10-1 Sat
We take all major credit cards and Paypal

Call or Visit our web site to order. Use JEEP10 Promo Code to save 10%
FREE SHIPPING ON WEBSITE ORDERS OVER $50
www.oconeeoffroad.com
Oconee Off-Road facebook photo page

Contact the owner of the company

oconee offroad is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2014, 10:52 AM   #7
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oconee offroad View Post
Superchips has some great products for what you pay. The Trail Dash is well worth the money, as well as the flashcal or flashpaq....
Lol...and some of the absolute worst customer service around. The only way I'd even consider recommending the Trail Dash is if you have a Rubicon.

My experience with the Trail Dash has been nothing short of a nightmare. Can't adjust TPMS threshold, can only turn it on/off. Occasionally, my Trail Dash will "forget" it's settings and return to stock (tire size and gear ratio). And since programming for a gear change awhile back I've had random transmission issues (not shifting correctly, hunting for gears back and forth rapidly).

Tried to return it within 30 day window, was told to hold tight as there was a new update coming out to fix everything....waited, the update fixed nothing. Called them to return it....oh sorry, you're just outside the 30 day return window.
LVCapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2014, 12:17 PM   #8
oconee offroad
Consulting Jeep Needs

1981 CJ7 

Other folks rave about the trail dash, esp some jk owners.
to each their own.....

Visit our retail store & 8 Bay Install Shop!
ATHENS, GEORGIA 30606
THE BEST OFF ROAD SHOP IN THE CLASSIC CITY
We carry the Largest assortment of Jeep Restoration Parts and After Market Accessories from 1941-2015 at low prices!
WE PRICE MATCH COMPETITORS!!!!!

Call to Order 706-534-9955
9-6 M-F 10-1 Sat
We take all major credit cards and Paypal

Call or Visit our web site to order. Use JEEP10 Promo Code to save 10%
FREE SHIPPING ON WEBSITE ORDERS OVER $50
www.oconeeoffroad.com
Oconee Off-Road facebook photo page

Contact the owner of the company

oconee offroad is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2014, 12:50 PM   #9
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oconee offroad View Post
Other folks rave about the trail dash, esp some jk owners.
to each their own.....
Except I'm not trying to sell one....
Unread 09-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #10
TexanTJ
Uncensored & Honest

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVCapo View Post
Can't adjust TPMS threshold, can only turn it on/off. .
Capo- When I was tinkering with my flashcal this weekend I found the same thing to be true. Did a little digging on google since the Superchips manual is about as descriptive as a 2nd grader's autobiography.

Found that to succussfully change the tpms threshold with the flashcal you have to:
1) adjust threshold on superchips unit
2) deflate tires to below desired threshold to trigger the tpms light
3) reinflate tires tires over desired threshold to "reset tpms system"
4) deflate tires to desired psi (above preset threshold).

Sounds crazy but it worked for me. Might want to give it a try on your trail dash.
Unread 09-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #11
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanTJ View Post
Capo- When I was tinkering with my flashcal this weekend I found the same thing to be true. Did a little digging on google since the Superchips manual is about as descriptive as a 2nd grader's autobiography.

Found that to succussfully change the tpms threshold with the flashcal you have to:
1) adjust threshold on superchips unit
2) deflate tires to below desired threshold to trigger the tpms light
3) reinflate tires tires over desired threshold to "reset tpms system"
4) deflate tires to desired psi (above preset threshold).

Sounds crazy but it worked for me. Might want to give it a try on your trail dash.
Tex, did yours always tell you to inflate to 10psi above what you set it at? If you had the same issue maybe I'll try that.
My bigger concern is the transmission issues I've experienced since the regear, and the Trail Dash "forgetting" the settings.
Unread 09-16-2014, 01:32 PM   #12
TexanTJ
Uncensored & Honest

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVCapo View Post
Tex, did yours always tell you to inflate to 10psi above what you set it at? If you had the same issue maybe I'll try that.
My bigger concern is the transmission issues I've experienced since the regear, and the Trail Dash "forgetting" the settings.
Capo-
My Jk doesnt have the "connectivity package" which I assume allows TPMS messages to be displayed via EVIC. (correct me if I am wrong)

In playing with it, I never get any messages to inflate or anything of that nature. Only the amber TPMS idiot light.

One thing I did find interesting (before discovering the TPMS hokey pokey inflate/deflate procedure) was that if I had my Flashcal set to a threshhold of 32 psi, the tires would actually have to be inflated to 42 psi to not trip it.
Changed threshold to 22 and it was the same... had to inflate to at least 32 not to trip the light.

I completely agree with you though. The trans issues and forgetting settings are of far greater concern than the TPMS issue. Considering how much coin you dropped on the traildash, it would leave too bad a taste in my mouth to ever want to buy a part from them again. I'm sure you've already covered all your bases, but if I were you and they gave me the run around of 30 day returns/wait for updates, I'd be calling their office so much that they would know me by name.
Unread 09-16-2014, 01:50 PM   #13
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanTJ View Post
Capo-
My Jk doesnt have the "connectivity package" which I assume allows TPMS messages to be displayed via EVIC. (correct me if I am wrong)

In playing with it, I never get any messages to inflate or anything of that nature. Only the amber TPMS idiot light.

One thing I did find interesting (before discovering the TPMS hokey pokey inflate/deflate procedure) was that if I had my Flashcal set to a threshhold of 32 psi, the tires would actually have to be inflated to 42 psi to not trip it.
Changed threshold to 22 and it was the same... had to inflate to at least 32 not to trip the light.

I completely agree with you though. The trans issues and forgetting settings are of far greater concern than the TPMS issue. Considering how much coin you dropped on the traildash, it would leave too bad a taste in my mouth to ever want to buy a part from them again. I'm sure you've already covered all your bases, but if I were you and they gave me the run around of 30 day returns/wait for updates, I'd be calling their office so much that they would know me by name.
Tex, what you described is exactly the issue with TPMS, I'll give that a shot. I don't like only having the option to enable/disable it. Thank you for posting up....gave a solution their customer service never even addressed.

The tranny issue really bothers me, and is why I want to get rid of this Trail Dash....only I don't want to dump a problem on someone else to solve my issue. Already ordered another AEV ProCal, will just use the Teail Dash as a monitor.

As to SC, I've called and emailed them, and even called their corporate office to try and get satisfaction. Explained what happened and that customer service told me to hold out for update, just told me the same thing....past the 30 day return policy, sorry

Sorry to sound snippy with the vendor, it just bothers me to no end when they pop in these threads and recommend something, then say theyll give you a great deal.....makes me question their objectivity...not that I was questioning his integrity. I did try to say the Trail Dash works better for the Rubi, as it adds more/ and important features....but for $500 I'd have a real hard time recommending it to a non Rubi owner.
Unread 09-16-2014, 06:55 PM   #14
Kolak
Vendor

JeepForum is Vendor supported so it shouldn't bother you since the forum is designed to work this way. We have opinions just like everyone else does and I strive to maintain an objective stance personally. I'm also personally a Jeep owner and I assume many other Vendors are as well. So don't necessarily be wary if a Vendor recommends something since we're just as passionate as the forum members about Jeeps Most of us sell things that we largely know to work properly but of course there are hiccups with everything from time to time.
kolak@aol.com or kolak@kolakperformance.com
Kolak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2014, 07:31 PM   #15
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolak View Post
JeepForum is Vendor supported so it shouldn't bother you since the forum is designed to work this way. We have opinions just like everyone else does and I strive to maintain an objective stance personally. I'm also personally a Jeep owner and I assume many other Vendors are as well. So don't necessarily be wary if a Vendor recommends something since we're just as passionate as the forum members about Jeeps Most of us sell things that we largely know to work properly but of course there are hiccups with everything from time to time.
It isn't just "Vendor Supported" , several of us support these forums financially. You guys get your own forum and special title, and I'm sure some advertising deals. As I said, I wasn't questioning his integrity, I simply said I don't feel that sometimes vendors posting here are being really objective, especially when they jump into a thread and finish a post with "if you want a quote on that let me know!", the bottom line is you are selling things....I just feel it's tacky and takes away from our credibility. I'm not going thread hunting right now, but I've seen some vendors recommend some real crap.
As to this thread I shared a personal experience, and shared a recommendation (saying I wouldn't recommend a $500 programmer to a non Rubicon owner), and just got a little sarcastic barb back. The truth is some huge options simply don't pertain to non Rubis.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.